Episode 8 - THE PHILIP DIEDESHIEMER STORY

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 8 - THE PHILIP DIEDESHIEMER STORY

Postby Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Date: October 31, 1959

Summary: German engineer Philip Diedesheimer is brought in to have a look at the Opher mine, which has had a lot of cave-ins. Diedesheimer has a plan to construct a mine that would be safe, but nobody wants to obsorb the cost of the construction. Note: The real Philip Diedesheimer invented the square-set system, on which this episode is based, in 1860.

Written by: Thomas Thompson
Directed by: Joseph Kane
Guest Stars: John Beal (Philip Diedeshiemer); Mala Powers (Helene); R.G. Armstrong (Andrew Halloway); Charles Cooper (Gil Fenton); Paul Birch (Tregalis); Mae Marsh.

gif image courtesy of Gillie

dougsgirl
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 235
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam
:
Halloween 2018 Mike's Birthday 2018 Surprise Level 10 Surprise Level 9
Surprise Level 8 Surprise Level 7 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Bonanza Ballads Level 4
Surprise Level 6 Surprise Level 5 Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
View All Badges

Re: Episode 8 - THE PHILIP DIEDESHIEMER STORY

Postby dougsgirl » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:23 pm

I really like this episode and IMHO I feel the acting in it was about the best of any other episodes of Bonanza I have seen. I thought Helene was a good actress, really believable and not overly dramatic. I also liked the fact that it was based on real history.

Julianna
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 29
:
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 1,000 Posts Talk Like A Pirate 2018 Guess The Guest Star 2
September Song 2018 Game Night 11 Aug 2018 Level 1 The Secret Word 2 Cinco de mayo 2018
Without A Trace 7 5-star review Like us on fb Group Member
View All Badges

Postby Julianna » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:13 pm

This is one of my favorite first season episodes. It seems tailor-made for Adam with the engineering parts. I love how Hoss comes in and takes over to save his brother. I really like Adam in the blue satin vest. We do see him second season in several episodes in the suede and leather vests, but the suit and vest is pretty rare. One of the first episodes PR has a sizeable part.

debpet2
Drover
Drover
Badges: 46
:
Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1 Fun with Captions Level 1 4th of July 2018
Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition
Valentine's Day 2018 10th Anniversary Letter P Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017
Time For A Commercial Break 3 Without A Trace 6 Gutterball BINGO Quotes Pernell Roberts Birthday 2017
View All Badges

Postby debpet2 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:16 pm

I like the way Hoss refuses to give up on finding Adam in the mine. And it's nice to think of Adam being such a real help to Philip in getting his new idea a fair trial against the opposition of the mine owners. Finally. it's good to see Helene's father come around in the end. Too bad about Gil though. Adam lost too many friends in the course of the series.

debpet2 :adam

Julianna
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
:
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 1,000 Posts Talk Like A Pirate 2018 Guess The Guest Star 2
September Song 2018 Game Night 11 Aug 2018 Level 1 The Secret Word 2 Cinco de mayo 2018
View All Badges

Postby Julianna » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:12 pm

debpet2 wrote:I like the way Hoss refuses to give up on finding Adam in the mine. And it's nice to think of Adam being such a real help to Philip in getting his new idea a fair trial against the opposition of the mine owners. Finally. it's good to see Helene's father come around in the end. Too bad about Gil though. Adam lost too many friends in the course of the series.

debpet2 :adam

You are so right about Adam having such a good friend in Gil. This is his only friend that we see that seems to be worthy of his faith and is an equal grounds character wise. :yes

A4ever
Badges: 1
:
New Member Post
View All Badges

Postby A4ever » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 am

This is one of the better episodes in season 1 and shows PR still involved in the acting. In later seasons his acting sometimes seemed nonchalant - even so, still very good. His acting here is spot on. In this episode, Adam is a very confident, take charge guy - I think it was how PR envisioned his role to develop, unfortunately, they did not allow it to happen. :sad :sad
The storyline is well developed in showing how the different parties to the scenario acted - it must have been like that in those days. One of the better scripts. I love how the C's just take over when necessary - both Adam and Hoss. A pity Gil died - wish there was a different outcome, but then the girl (and her father) would not have experienced what the families at pit level felt. A nice positive ending - Gil (and the others) did not die for nothing. And yes, I agree Adam lost too many friends.

BakerJ
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe
:
New Member Post
View All Badges

Postby BakerJ » Tue May 08, 2018 3:14 pm

This is good episode and a solid script from David Dortort, who did like to weave real history into his stories. I agree it was a great episode for PR and showcased David Dortorts' idea of the Cartwrights not being afraid to show how much they care about each other, even if they are all men. Gotta love the love.

Julianna
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
:
View All Badges

Postby Julianna » Wed May 09, 2018 8:46 pm

They did use parts of this episode to show how Adam and Hoss were in one of the movies. I thought it was the best part of that movie.

dougsgirl
Rancher
Rancher
:
Surprise Level 8 Surprise Level 7 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Bonanza Ballads Level 4
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
View All Badges

Postby dougsgirl » Mon May 21, 2018 11:27 am

Julianna wrote:They did use parts of this episode to show how Adam and Hoss were in one of the movies. I thought it was the best part of that movie.

What movie are you referring to?

dougsgirl
Rancher
Rancher
:
View All Badges

Postby dougsgirl » Mon May 21, 2018 11:28 am

Another thing I liked about this ep is they way Hoss poured his heart out to Helene about losing Emily.

Return to “Season 1”