Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

100 Posts Fun Topic Starter

View all badges

Dan as Lennie?

Post by Yesm » Mon May 09, 2011 11:16 am

I have always been a fan of the 1939 classic, "Of Mice and Men," though I almost can't stand to watch it. It was a great film in a year or great films, and anyone who only knew Burgess Meredith as The Penguin, or as Rocky's trainer (he was great in that, too), would be stunned at how great he was in OMaM. The whole film is filled with powerful performances, and I don't need to hear some say that in this film Lon Chaney, Jr. proved that he could act. I always knew that. He even gave a wonderful performance as Lawrence Talbot in the classic, "The Wolf Man" as a man tormented. Unfortunately, he was always in the shadow of his father, Lon Chaney, Sr., who was of course a genius of the silent movie era. But that is not why I am posting this. I just saw a newer version of "OMaM," with Gary Senise as George and John Makkovich as Lennie, and the thought occurred to me that Dan Blocker could have played a wonderful Lennie. Some people I know who are not Bonanza maniacs (as we are) have said they thought Dan Blocker was feeble minded because they thought Hoss Cartwright was feeble-minded, also. I hasten to inform them that Dan Blocker was an educated, highly intelligent man, and they don't know Hoss very well or they could not say that, either. There is an old saying, "If I have the name, I might as well have the game." I think Dan would have been a marvelous Lennie, as some of Lennie's characteristics were held by Hoss, also--his love of animals and the fact that he did not know his own strength (I remember Hoss fighting with someone and killing him because, "I didn't mean to hit him that hard"). This newer version was very good, and probably nearer to Steinbeck's book (which I read a long time ago--I think I'll read it again soon), but I still prefer the original. What do you think? Would Dan have made a good Lennie? Or do you think he would have avoided this role because it was too close to what some people thought of him? Or wouldn't he have considered their mistaken opinion at all?
Last edited by Yesm on Mon May 09, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login

Return to “HOSSienda”