Episode 425 - THE SOUND OF SADNESS

Bonanza Season 14 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 425 - THE SOUND OF SADNESS

Post by Episode Guide » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:33 am

Date: December 5, 1972

Summary: A friend of Griff’s tries to adopt two orphan boys and runs into trouble.

Written by: Michael Landon
Directed by: Michael Landon
Guest Stars: Jack Albertson (Jonathon May), Dan Ferrone (Mr. Holcombe), Penelope Gillette (Mrs. Farmer), Harry Holcombe (Dr. Martin), Carol Locatell (Mrs. Holcombe s Carol Lawson), Bing Russell (Deputy Clem Foster), Marty McCall(Tim), Timothy Marshall (Tim), Irene Tedrow (Mrs. Caines)

Image courtesy of Tracy and Bonanza Boomers Gallery.

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Re: Episode 425 - THE SOUNDS OF SADNESS

Post by snapdragon » Sat May 07, 2016 3:37 pm

In a strange way I'm enjoying Season 14 of BZ even though by this time 'Bonanza' was no longer really Bonanza-like, meaning that the Cartwrights were hardly its focus. Adam was long gone, and now that Hoss is dead this show has lost its heart.

I like the Griff character, never really cared for Jaime, and loved that Candy returned. But the actors must've seen the writing on the wall, and appeared to be going through the motions at this point.

Beside all that, I'm enjoying many of the episodes this season because it clearly marks the beginnings of "Little House on the Prairie", the ML-run show that I grew up on and loved.

This particular episode is a perfect example of LHOTP style: the sentimental character study, the high camera angles used, and the music. I liked it a lot.

Another ML trademark that I appreciate all the more nowadays is the emotional honesty he injects into his characters. It's so different from today, where characters are either too good to be true or the anti-hero, everything is either black-and-white with not much room for nuance. Landon was the opposite of that, which to me shows just how well he understood human nature.

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 186
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 7 December Delectables Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 7
Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Fun With Captions Level 2 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:31 pm

snapdragon wrote:This particular episode is a perfect example of LHOTP style: the sentimental character study, the high camera angles used, and the music. I liked it a lot.
ML later re-used this script for a LHOTP episode, in fact. The two episodes are so similar I felt I was watching the same one twice.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:26 pm

Michael always wrote with his whole heart. Most of his episodes showed a lot of human emotions and this is one of them. It brought me to tears when the boys ran away rather than being separated. They found a man to love and take care of them but it wasn't allowed because of his age. The people wanting the older boy decided to take them both. Wonderful ending that brought me to tears again!

rolsson
Drover
Drover
Badges: 48
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

December Delectables Christmas Card Team Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019
Reader's Choice Level 6 Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Poetry Portfolio
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 2 Guest Star Bio Ponderosa Prospects

View all badges

Re: Episode 425 - THE SOUND OF SADNESS

Post by rolsson » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:51 pm

Although you hardly got to see any of the main characters I feel that this episode is worth its weight in gold. I truly wanted the old man to end up with the two boys even though it wouldn't work out. I was crying so much at the end. makes you think of all the lonely people in the world. That tea went up in price very fast I think that shop keeper was a crook.

Return to “Season 14”