Episode 425 - THE SOUND OF SADNESS

Bonanza Season 14 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 425 - THE SOUND OF SADNESS

Post by Episode Guide » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:33 am

Date: December 5, 1972

Summary: A friend of Griff’s tries to adopt two orphan boys and runs into trouble.

Written by: Michael Landon
Directed by: Michael Landon
Guest Stars: Jack Albertson (Jonathon May), Dan Ferrone (Mr. Holcombe), Penelope Gillette (Mrs. Farmer), Harry Holcombe (Dr. Martin), Carol Locatell (Mrs. Holcombe s Carol Lawson), Bing Russell (Deputy Clem Foster), Marty McCall(Tim), Timothy Marshall (Tim), Irene Tedrow (Mrs. Caines)

Image courtesy of Tracy and Bonanza Boomers Gallery.

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Re: Episode 425 - THE SOUNDS OF SADNESS

Post by snapdragon » Sat May 07, 2016 3:37 pm

In a strange way I'm enjoying Season 14 of BZ even though by this time 'Bonanza' was no longer really Bonanza-like, meaning that the Cartwrights were hardly its focus. Adam was long gone, and now that Hoss is dead this show has lost its heart.

I like the Griff character, never really cared for Jaime, and loved that Candy returned. But the actors must've seen the writing on the wall, and appeared to be going through the motions at this point.

Beside all that, I'm enjoying many of the episodes this season because it clearly marks the beginnings of "Little House on the Prairie", the ML-run show that I grew up on and loved.

This particular episode is a perfect example of LHOTP style: the sentimental character study, the high camera angles used, and the music. I liked it a lot.

Another ML trademark that I appreciate all the more nowadays is the emotional honesty he injects into his characters. It's so different from today, where characters are either too good to be true or the anti-hero, everything is either black-and-white with not much room for nuance. Landon was the opposite of that, which to me shows just how well he understood human nature.

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 176
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:31 pm

snapdragon wrote:This particular episode is a perfect example of LHOTP style: the sentimental character study, the high camera angles used, and the music. I liked it a lot.
ML later re-used this script for a LHOTP episode, in fact. The two episodes are so similar I felt I was watching the same one twice.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:26 pm

Michael always wrote with his whole heart. Most of his episodes showed a lot of human emotions and this is one of them. It brought me to tears when the boys ran away rather than being separated. They found a man to love and take care of them but it wasn't allowed because of his age. The people wanting the older boy decided to take them both. Wonderful ending that brought me to tears again!

Return to “Season 14”