Episode 416 - FOREVER

Bonanza Season 14 Episodes
daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Re: Episode 416 - FOREVER

Post by daisy60 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:32 am

They did have the scene where Joe jumps in the wagon, standing up and meets up with Ben and Candy to tell him the news. I have it recorded on my dvr.

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 176
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:43 pm

This episode tore my heart out...Part 1 is so adorably sweet and then the tragedy in Part 2 is so absolutely terrible. But I'm glad I watched it.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:32 pm

:sob
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 328
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019
Out Of The Blue Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Reader's Choice Level 1 Christmas 2018

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:26 pm

I've also always wondered why Alice is buried in the middle of nowhere--not next to Marie, not next to Hoss. In the middle of nowhere.

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:48 pm

Tracy wrote:I've also always wondered why Alice is buried in the middle of nowhere--not next to Marie, not next to Hoss. In the middle of nowhere.
It makes me wonder where they supposedly buried Hoss. Did they bury him by Marie? Or did they bury him off by himself too. :shrug
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:00 pm

Tracy wrote:I've also always wondered why Alice is buried in the middle of nowhere--not next to Marie, not next to Hoss. In the middle of nowhere.
What I wondered about was something I also read about Alice's burial. THey were at her funeral and grass completely covered the grave. When did it have time to grow?

I think there was an early episode where they showed Marie's grave. It would be the normal thing for the Cartwrights to have a family plot where all the family members would be buried. I remember on Dark Shadows, the Collins were always running out to the family mausoleum. (but they were such ghouls!!)

It was have been better to see Alice buried next to Marie. I think Joe would have wanted that. I don't think they wanted to show any grave site for Hoss out of deference to the Blocker family's feelings.

Actually the scenes with Joe and Alice's wedding and then the funeral seemed so "cut rate" and cheap. Well the events seemed so bargain basement as if the Cartwrights were poor. Of course they were not showy people given to flaunting their wealth. But by the time Joe finally married, the Cartwrights were a very big and important family in Virginia City. Seems like they would have had a lot of friends and business associates to invite to a wedding.

Joe and Alice might have wanted to keep it small with just close family and friends. But if that was the case, where the heck was Hop Sing! I hope they didn't make him stay behind at the Ponderosa to cook the reception dinner. :no But poor Alice didn't even have a bridal bouquet! And there were a few other episodes that took place in church, like Margie's wedding. Each time the church set was larger and more elaborate. It was like Alice and Joe looked around for the tiniest chapel to cram their guests into.

And the funeral seemed so cut rate too. Both times the show seemed more LHOP than Bonanza. I think Michael Landon was already channeling his inner Charles Ingalls. LOL

Even when he was bulding their house, it seemed strange that he would not employ the services of some of the many, many (mostly unseen) hands that the Cartwrights employed. Sure Joe wanted to oversee the work himself. But besides Candy, who did he have for help? A teen-age Jamie and his elderly father up on a ladder. When the show premiered, Ben would've been at least in his early fifties. By the time of this episode, he would've been about 65. Sure he was in good shape from all that ranch work, but that was elderly in those days. And Joe makes his old father climb up on a ladder! :grin

I just have a lot of issues with the episode. I think there was too much story to cram into a two-parter. Even Adam got a four part story arc when he was courting Laura! The two-parter should have introduced Alice and the courtship. The wedding should have been a few episodes later, imho. I really liked Alice but her character got such short shrift. She was never even seen at the Cartwright home. And she was never shown having a single conversation with Ben or anyone else in the family!

Sometimes it seemed to me that Alice was just part of the scenery to showcase the fact that JOE FINALLY GOT MARRIED! Joe really appeared to love her. But Alice never got to be a fleshed out character. She obviously was a very sweet person and very understanding when it came to her brother. And she showed a lot of strength in finally cutting him out of her life because of his gambling. But I would have liked to see Alice have scenes with someone besides her brother and Joe or the men who were responsible for her death.

Wow, I sure went off on a rant!! I only intended to comment on the original topic. I go off!!!

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:31 pm

It probably was a bit rushed, mainly because of the sudden death of Dan just a few weeks before. Michael was not only mourning for Dan but re-wrote some parts to make it Joe getting married instead of Hoss. That's true, a man of Ben's age would have been considered elderly in the mid- 1800's but I guess that's the wonder of tv. Ben Cartwright never really aged.

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:58 pm

Another thing I want to know is that if Ben was always looking forward to, "a wedding on the Ponderosa", why wasn't the wedding ceremony at the ranch house? When Joe was going to marry Tessa, they were performing the wedding at the ranch. Why not Joe's and Alice's wedding?
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

gdclay
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Post by gdclay » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:41 pm

I saw the "Forever" episode for the first time on Saturday night, April 7, 2018. IT was one of the best "Bonanza" episodes. AFTER I figured what was going on, I recorded Part II of the episode. BUT not Part I. HOPEFULLY, the episodes will be re-broadcast soon on the Inspiration Network again. BECAUSE I definitely want to record Part I, especially after I learned the back-story. HOSS (Dan Blocker) originally was supposed to play the lead role. BUT when Dan Blocker died during the off-season, Joe Cartwright (Michael Landon) assumed the top role. HE married Alice Harper (Bonnie DeBelia). GREAT episode. g CLAY

rolsson
Drover
Drover
Badges: 37
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Poetry Portfolio Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 2 Guest Star Bio
Ponderosa Prospects Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Hidden Treasures 1,000 Posts Chat Host Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers

View all badges

Post by rolsson » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:53 am

I've just watched part 1 forever for the first time, it was so intense and can only imagine what audiences of the time when it first aired thought. It was so different from any other episode from Bonanza. It was nice to see Joe really happy and I have to say Alice was a nice match for him. It is interesting to watch it knowing it was written as Hoss as the main character and I must say I can't imagine him playing the part and if Adam was still around I think would have ruined the whole "picture" of perfection that they where painting in Joe and Alice's romance.

Return to “Season 14”