Episode 203 - THE DEBT

Bonanza Season 7 Episodes
littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 147
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West

View all badges

Re: Episode 203 - THE DEBT

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:09 pm

This episode was kind of strange to me. I mean, you had Wiley, who was trying to work off his father's debts just so they could have a decent name in society when Annie couldn't even read. He hated his father while Annie loved him and was willing to do just about anything for him. Tommy Sands was terrific, and not having waited for the credits, I wasn't aware that that was Brooke Bundy. It took me a while to figure out where I'd seen Sam Kane before, and then I remembered. It was in the Bonanza episode, Mirror of a Man, and he played Homer/Jud Lolly's father.

I love the scene where Joe is trying to explain the spelling of different words and keeps getting her even more confused than she already was. Bow/bow, bough. :laughing However, it was one of those fast-paced episodes I'm rather fond of. Blink and you'll miss something, is what I felt about it.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Jim Barnsby
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Post by Jim Barnsby » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:10 pm

I agree that The Debt is indeed an odd episode, especially for a season opener. It's all the more odd with it being the first episode of Bonanza's Brave New World without ol' Lean-O in the cast (though he is mentioned).

Tommy Sands was a pretty good actor. He was especially good as a nightclub singer/cat burglar in the season one Hawaii Five-0 episode, No Blue Skies. Brooke Bundy is always a welcome presence in 1960s TV. The geographic scenery is markedly improved over that of previous seasons, something that I have come to associate with the season 7-and-on era. I am a huge Adam fan, but I find much to love about the seasons after his departure; I'm probably the *only* Adam fan who does!

Okay, obviously I am not since Bonanza continued to be the #1 show on television for this and next season. Many fans missed Adam, but not enough to keep Bonanza from the top of the ratings. I wonder if "The Cult of Adam" developed later, during syndication, since his episodes were the ones most often seen in the post-1973 era up until The so-called Lost Episodes "became a thing", as the kids say.

I associate The Debt with Hallmark Channel's ever-so-brief airing of Bonanza on weekdays at noon. This must have been in 2006 or so. What's odd about it is that Hallmark only had Bonanza on at that time slot for about four days before they yanked it without explanation.

My Rating: 4/10

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:42 am

Jim Barnsby wrote: The geographic scenery is markedly improved over that of previous seasons, something that I have come to associate with the season 7-and-on era. I am a huge Adam fan, but I find much to love about the seasons after his departure; I'm probably the *only* Adam fan who does!
I think they did seem to film more out on location. I love seeing the beautiful scenery.

My opinion: the show changed after Adam left; not necessarily in season 7 but a couple seasons later. But this wasn't entirely due to Adam; TV in general was changing to more emotion and less violence. Occasionally I'll be watching a later episode and notice that the bad guys aren't getting shot, they're getting knocked out or a Cartwright simply "got the drop on them."
Jim Barnsby wrote:Okay, obviously I am not since Bonanza continued to be the #1 show on television for this and next season. Many fans missed Adam, but not enough to keep Bonanza from the top of the ratings. I wonder if "The Cult of Adam" developed later, during syndication, since his episodes were the ones most often seen in the post-1973 era up until The so-called Lost Episodes "became a thing", as the kids say.
I think you're right that part of the "Cult of Adam" came about because the earlier episodes were more often aired. But the internet and sites like this probably have a lot to do with it too!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Return to “Season 7”