Episode 202 - PATCHWORK MAN

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 202 - PATCHWORK MAN

Post by Episode Guide »

Date: May 23, 1965

Summary: Hoss hires loner Patch Saunders as a Ponderosa ranch hand and soon learns why the man is such a recluse.

Written by: Don Tait, William Koenig
Directed by: Ralph E. Black
Guest Stars: Grant Williams (Albert 'Patch' Saunders), Sue Randall (Ann)

Slideshow courtesy of Adamant
Oxgirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 15
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

Fun with Captions Level 1 More Fun With 2's Happy 14th Anniversary 10th Anniversary Letter X
Mike Landon Birthday 2021 September Song 2021 Don't Blink 1,000 Posts
Group Member Christmas 2020 Escape To Ponderosa PODs
100 Posts September Song 2020 New Member Post

View all badges

Re: Episode 202 - PATCHWORK MAN

Post by Oxgirl »

Watched this today, the last ep I hadn't seen, therefore completing the whole series for me. Feels like the end of a long journey, has taken me almost 3 years to watch them all! :yes

I wasn't sure I understood why Hoss was breaking up the bricks. Surely they didn't belong to them, were they just going in and stripping Rockville and taking the bricks away for themselves? In Desperate Passage, where all the inhabitants had fled the town, the C's actually wrote IOUs for all the things they took. :shrug
How come Hoss had been working on the bricks for seemingly a long time and yet hadn't noticed Patch living in the house opposite until he actually smelt his cooking?
Er, "Tubby"?!?!?! Hmmm, wasn't very happy with this. :sad
Interesting to see another ep containing a flashback, not many of those.
It was a bit remiss of Ben to buy this land and not have actual proof of ownership, I thought! :ohmy
Also, wasn't sure why Patch didn't warn Hoss at the end that the baddies were coming after him, was he just planning to let them kill him and not even warn him? There was no reason for the baddies to leave Patch alive either, he was a witness. At one point the chief baddie was trying to wave Patch out of the way so he'd have a better shot at Hoss. Why? :shrug :laughing
On the whole, though, I did quite enjoy watching this ep. Some nice caring work by Hoss. :thumbup
TNTrue
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 9
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

More Fun With 2's Chinese New Year 2022 Happy 14th Anniversary 10th Anniversary Letter B
Dan Blocker Birthday 2021 Escape To Ponderosa Dan Blocker Birthday 2020 100 Posts
New Member Post

View all badges

Post by TNTrue »

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:03 am I wasn't sure I understood why Hoss was breaking up the bricks. Surely they didn't belong to them, were they just going in and stripping Rockville and taking the bricks away for themselves? In Desperate Passage, where all the inhabitants had fled the town, the C's actually wrote IOUs for all the things they took. :shrug
Mining towns regularly sprang up while the mines were bearing and died once the mineral they'd been mining was gone (or otherwise became unprofitable). I don't see the Cartwrights running in to grab what they could when that starts happening or outright stealing anything, but after a town was empty a while, they could pretty safely assume that anyone who wanted to keep their things had hauled them off or left indicators they intended to. The general rule was that owners who wanted to transport it had first dibs, but it cost money to haul stuff from one place to another, and a lot of companies just folded and abandoned everything.
Oxgirl wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:03 am How come Hoss had been working on the bricks for seemingly a long time and yet hadn't noticed Patch living in the house opposite until he actually smelt his cooking?
Patch may have been lying low and keeping quiet.
Oxgirl wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:03 am It was a bit remiss of Ben to buy this land and not have actual proof of ownership, I thought! :ohmy
Ben had sufficient evidence of ownership for an honest man. Mid-ninteenth century property laws were open to a lot of manipulation and shenanigans, and the guy who had staked a claim on the Cartwright land was taking advantage of that fact, and apparently not for the first time. Many communities on the frontier relied far more on social pressure than on actual laws to keep people in line, which could be a great thing. Many states had laws demanding segregated schools or limiting the jobs blacks could take or otherwise encouraging racism that some mid-west and western communities ignored, for example. But outsiders who knew the law could sometimes find loopholes and ways of cheating people that were technically legal, even though the thieves knew as well as their victims that they were in the wrong.

Although it could be risky to do that sort of thing too flagrantly. Some vigilante organizations in the west were actually made up of good people who had just had it with someone using the law to do evil. Corrupt systems invite corruption.

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:03 am Also, wasn't sure why Patch didn't warn Hoss at the end that the baddies were coming after him, was he just planning to let them kill him and not even warn him?
Patch seemed to have an "Everyone I love is doomed by my cowardice" mentality, which I think is what was going on there. He was ashamed that he'd betrayed Hoss and didn't want to confess it, which also plays into it, but I think he'd already given Hoss up for dead and believed for a while there that he couldn't change anything no matter what he did. It was only when he realized he'd be haunted by Hoss calling for help that his belief that it'd be better to die trying than to just let it happen got him out of the rut his trauma had dug in his brain so he could start acting by choice instead of lying there frozen.

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:03 am There was no reason for the baddies to leave Patch alive either, he was a witness. At one point the chief baddie was trying to wave Patch out of the way so he'd have a better shot at Hoss. Why?
The head bad guy clearly understood that Patch was traumatized by guns -- and seems to have had a bit of sadistic streak, too, because he beat Patch even knowing that shooting at him without hurting him would likely get the job done. He left Patch alive because he rightly guessed that Patch would not interfere, and he waved Patch out of the way for the same reason; he didn't think Patch was a threat.

Also, that's what the writer wanted him to do. :grin

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:03 am On the whole, though, I did quite enjoy watching this ep. Some nice caring work by Hoss. :thumbup
:yes

I liked it more than I'd expected to myself.
Oxgirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 15
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

Fun with Captions Level 1 More Fun With 2's Happy 14th Anniversary 10th Anniversary Letter X
Mike Landon Birthday 2021 September Song 2021 Don't Blink 1,000 Posts
Group Member Christmas 2020 Escape To Ponderosa PODs
100 Posts September Song 2020 New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl »

TNTrue wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:59 pm I liked it more than I'd expected to myself.
It's funny when that happens, isn't it. You think a run of the mill ep won't interest at all, but they can be easy to watch and enjoy. :thumbup

Return to “Season 6”