Episode 164 - ENTER THOMAS BOWERS

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 364
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Without A Trace 10 Happy 14th Anniversary Happy New Year 2022
Bonanza Ballads Level 25 Journeys Untold Bonanza Ballads Level 24 Halloween Haiku 2021
Bonanza Ballads Level 23 Reader's Choice Level 5 September Song 2021 David Canary Birthday 2021
Bonanza Ballads Level 22 Bonanza Ballads Level 21 Big Library Story 2021 Reader's Choice Level 4

View all badges

Re: Episode 164 - ENTER THOMAS BOWERS

Post by Adamant »

I have to add that I wrote William Marshall's bio in the Guest Star forum and he was a fascinating man and so handsome! On the small screen, Marshall played Dr Daystrom on STTOS, "The Ultimate Computer." He was also the King of Cartoons on Pee Wee's Playhouse.

Here's the link: https://bonanzaboomers.com/forums/viewt ... 66&t=13203
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous
daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 203
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Without A Trace 10 Happy 14th Anniversary Happy New Year 2022 Merry Christmas 2021
Cryptic Carols ~ Puzzlers 2021 Christmas Bauble 2021 Holidays Past 2021 Thanksgiving 2021
Halloween Recipes 2021 Halloween Haiku 2021 Talk Like A Pirate 2021 David Canary Birthday 2021
Game Night 2021 Level 3 Game Night 14 Level 2 Game Night 2021 Level 1 Stepping Into Character

View all badges

Post by daisy60 »

Adamant wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:35 am I have to add that I wrote William Marshall's bio in the Guest Star forum and he was a fascinating man and so handsome! On the small screen, Marshall played Dr Daystrom on STTOS, "The Ultimate Computer." He was also the King of Cartoons on Pee Wee's Playhouse.

I never really watched any of these but he was a really good actor and a terrific singer. The episode was done at a time of racial unrest and I applaud the show for showing this. I read that some southern states refused to show it but it was shown where I lived in Florida. :thumbup
Oxgirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 13
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

Happy 14th Anniversary 10th Anniversary Letter X Mike Landon Birthday 2021 September Song 2021
Don't Blink 1,000 Posts Group Member Christmas 2020
Escape To Ponderosa PODs 100 Posts September Song 2020
New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl »

Partisan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:33 am
Oxgirl wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:05 am
Partisan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:43 am The look on Adam's face when that horrendous woman's trying to sing is classic. He looks as if he's being actually tortured!! Well, he is - his ears are being tortured!
I just watched this today. I found Hoss's face and Joe holding his nose both hilarious. :laughing Fairly uncomfortable to watch, but Hoss gave a great pep talk at the end. Great singing voice. :thumbup
Yes, he had a BEAUTIFUL voice. All of those scummy racists had their butts handed to them! I don't think I'd have been quite as forgiving as Mr Bowers, though!
No, I know what you mean, he really had to swallow down a lot and hold his head up high to walk into that theatre.
Oxgirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 13
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

Happy 14th Anniversary 10th Anniversary Letter X Mike Landon Birthday 2021 September Song 2021
Don't Blink 1,000 Posts Group Member Christmas 2020
Escape To Ponderosa PODs 100 Posts September Song 2020
New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl »

Adamant wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:35 am I have to add that I wrote William Marshall's bio in the Guest Star forum and he was a fascinating man and so handsome! On the small screen, Marshall played Dr Daystrom on STTOS, "The Ultimate Computer." He was also the King of Cartoons on Pee Wee's Playhouse.

I remember him well on Star Trek, great ep. :thumbup
Partisan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Partisan »

daisy60 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:11 pm

I never really watched any of these but he was a really good actor and a terrific singer. The episode was done at a time of racial unrest and I applaud the show for showing this. I read that some southern states refused to show it but it was shown where I lived in Florida. :thumbup
REALLY?! Some Southern states refused to show it? Jesus wept. It's such a mild tale, too, not exactly revolutionary. Just the tale of a talented man, who happened to be black. I think we forget how racist they really were, don't we? Do you remember that story - I might have seen it on here, I can't remember. The BZ cast were invited down to a Southern state, can't recall which one, could've been Alabama, for some kind of convention or something. Then they were told that the seating would be segregated. Every single cast member refused to go. I admire them so much for that! Then the State Governor called upon everyone to boycott the programme! Can you imagine? haha! Bonanza had countless millions of viewers all over the world, I somehow don't think they'd have missed a few thousand racist rednecks! They'd have probably just thought, "Good!" Especially Pernell Roberts, who was known for his activism, he'd have thought, "We're better off without them." idk how many Southerners complied with the Governor's request, but those who did were only making themselves suffer. A classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face! :rotfl :joe
"OH, YOU THREE HUNDRED POUND ROBIN!" Joe to Hoss - "The Ponderosa Birdman".
dtaylor
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Post by dtaylor »

Lorne Greene, Dan Blocker and Michael Landon were scheduled to perform in Jackson, Mississippi in February of 1964. When they were contacted by a student group at Tougaloo College, asking them not to appear in support of a boycott of cultural and entertainment events playing to segregated audiences, the cast contacted the local NAACP and inquired about local conditions (per segregation.) Dan Blocker then sent a telegram withdrawing from the event: "I have long been in sympathy with the Negro struggle for full citizenship, therefore I would find an appearance of any sort before a segregated house completely incompatible with my moral concepts - indeed repugnant." The telegram was printed in a Jackson paper. On the same day, Lorne Greene and Michael Landon also sent word that they were withdrawing from the event. In response, the Jackson mayor and other white-supremecists organized a boycott of Bonanza. There is a well-researched article about this in the book "The Revolution Wasn't Televised: Sixties Television and Social Conflict" - It's Chapter Fourteen, "Southern Discomforts: The racial struggle over popular tv" by Steven Classen.
daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 203
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Without A Trace 10 Happy 14th Anniversary Happy New Year 2022 Merry Christmas 2021
Cryptic Carols ~ Puzzlers 2021 Christmas Bauble 2021 Holidays Past 2021 Thanksgiving 2021
Halloween Recipes 2021 Halloween Haiku 2021 Talk Like A Pirate 2021 David Canary Birthday 2021
Game Night 2021 Level 3 Game Night 14 Level 2 Game Night 2021 Level 1 Stepping Into Character

View all badges

Post by daisy60 »

I'm old enough to remember those terrible times in the 1950's and 60's. I went to school with a young black girl I became friends with and even our families frowned at us for walking home from school together holding hands, singing as little 6yr. olds do. If only the innocence of children would continue through to adulthood for all. This would be a much better world for all of us. :sad
flabirder
Drover
Drover
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Without A Trace 10 Reader's Choice Level 3 Happy 14th Anniversary Reader's Choice Level 2
Merry Christmas 2021 Cryptic Carols ~ Puzzlers 2021 Holidays Past 2021 Thanksgiving 2021
Mike Landon Birthday 2021 Reader's Choice Level 1 Talk Like A Pirate 2021 Stepping Into Character
Tried and True BINGO Participant Summer 2021 BINGO Snail Summer 2021 1,000 Posts

View all badges

Post by flabirder »

daisy60 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:19 pm I'm old enough to remember those terrible times in the 1950's and 60's. I went to school with a young black girl I became friends with and even our families frowned at us for walking home from school together holding hands, singing as little 6yr. olds do. If only the innocence of children would continue through to adulthood for all. This would be a much better world for all of us. :sad
I don't remember too much of the 50s, but I remember the 60s. One of my honorary uncles was a detective on the Chicago police force & hated black people. His daughter was forbidden to watch any sporting events, including Cubs games because black people played in them. Although they began bussing kids in the late 60s, the first time I went to school with black children was when I started high school. My graduating class (1973) made history by electing the first black person and female to be our class president.
Is that all you can think of at a time like this, cake??? (Ben to Hoss in A Knight to Remember.)
Peasants! (Adam in A Knight to Remember.)
Anything to get rid of you. (Adam to Joe in Dead and Gone.)
:dg In loving memory of dougsgirl. You have left us for that great ranch in the sky but we will never forget you.

Return to “Season 5”