Episode 416 - FOREVER

Bonanza Season 14 Episodes
daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 143
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day
Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts

View all badges

Re: Episode 416 - FOREVER

Post by daisy60 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:01 am

Michael did originally write this as a Hoss episode. It was re-written after Dan's very tragic and unexpected death. Unknown to most viewers was that Michael's step-daughter, Cheryl, was the only survivor in a horrible car crash right before season 14 started back up and Michael took off every week-end to take a chartered plane to Arizona to be with her. If Forever seems a bit rushed-it was! :yes

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 332
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:04 pm

I've commented on this episode before, years ago. Every time I watch this two-parter, I am sad and disappointed. While I understand that Bonanza, in it's 14 year run, was NEVER a continuing story, to jump from Joe's marriage to his wife's death to more episodes that never mention it again is too much for me as a fan in the rerun age. Again, it was NOT a continuing story series, but I so desperately wanted more about Elizabeth Cartwright and Inger Cartwright and Marie Cartwright and definitely more about Alice Cartwright. Instead, we got nothing. Not even a mention after the Forever episodes. And I have a feeling the same would have happened had Dan lived beyond his surgery and been the Cartwright to marry.

And I still wish we knew who had been considered to play the future Mrs. Hoss Cartwright.

chezza
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

FanFic Writer Badge New Member Post

View all badges

Post by chezza » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:51 am

I'd never seen Forever before because I stopped watching when Pernell left the series. I liked the two episodes very much. Thought the chemistry between Michael and Bonnie was just right. I liked the way they were gentle but playful with each other. But it was a bit of shock trying to adapt to how different "future Bonanza" was than the one I had known. Duh, what did I expect, it was a decade later. One thing I did appreciate was that the romantic relationship was portrayed with a bit more depth than the Cartwright relationships in the 60's.

This is going to sound so dumb but watching Forever I felt sad for Pa and Joe that Hoss and Adam weren't there. I mean I felt very sad for Lorne and Michael and how deeply they must have been mourning Dan but I also felt pain for Pa and Joe as if they were real people. The Ponderosa seemed a lonelier place in the 1972 episode. I kept wishing Adam and Hoss would ride up to comfort Pa and Joe. To me, it felt empty without all the family there. I guess I don't adapt well to change.

chezza
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

View all badges

Post by chezza » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:01 am

I agree Tracy, it's disappointing when characters and storylines you'd love more of just disappear. If Bonanza was running today we could start a letter (email) writing campaign and demand/plead for more Elizabeth, Inger, Marie, etc. I was part of a fandom for a show about twenty yrs ago and we used to do that. And sometimes the producers/writers even listened. :)

I just assumed Bonnie Bedelia would have been the choice for Hoss' wife as well. You don't think she would be a good match for Hoss?
Tracy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:04 pm
I've commented on this episode before, years ago. Every time I watch this two-parter, I am sad and disappointed. While I understand that Bonanza, in it's 14 year run, was NEVER a continuing story, to jump from Joe's marriage to his wife's death to more episodes that never mention it again is too much for me as a fan in the rerun age. Again, it was NOT a continuing story series, but I so desperately wanted more about Elizabeth Cartwright and Inger Cartwright and Marie Cartwright and definitely more about Alice Cartwright. Instead, we got nothing. Not even a mention after the Forever episodes. And I have a feeling the same would have happened had Dan lived beyond his surgery and been the Cartwright to marry.

And I still wish we knew who had been considered to play the future Mrs. Hoss Cartwright.

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:33 am

chezza wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:01 am

I just assumed Bonnie Bedelia would have been the choice for Hoss' wife as well. You don't think she would be a good match for Hoss?
Yes and no. I think she was a better choice for Hoss than joe, but I do wonder if they had a different actress in mind when the script was written and approved for Hoss.

I wish Bonnie Bedelia could be interviewed about her two appearances on Bonanza.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 143
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day
Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:39 am

I agree. This was a very sad time considering it was only a few weeks that Dan had died. There was a lot of sadness on the set and according to a crew member nobody knew where Michael was. Mitch Vogel said he was behind some of the buildings, holding Dan's picture, crying. Lorne said to leave him alone. It would have been great if Adam could have come back for a visit. I think maybe the show might not have been cancelled so soon. Bonnie was the choice for Hoss's wife and when Dan died she was kept as Alice. :sob
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
chezza

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:06 pm

daisy60 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:39 am
Bonnie was the choice for Hoss's wife and when Dan died she was kept as Alice. :sob
I've never read that, Daisy. I didn't know.

chezza
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

View all badges

Post by chezza » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:11 pm

Wow Daisy, what an emotional burden it must have been for Michael and Lorne to take on such a demanding and heartbreaking story as their first episode after Dan's death. A shoot 'em up episode might have been easier but maybe a script with lots of crying was cathartic. I hadn't thought about Mitch but he was just a teenager and it must have been really hard on him too. :sob
daisy60 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:39 am
I agree. This was a very sad time considering it was only a few weeks that Dan had died. There was a lot of sadness on the set and according to a crew member nobody knew where Michael was. Mitch Vogel said he was behind some of the buildings, holding Dan's picture, crying. Lorne said to leave him alone. It would have been great if Adam could have come back for a visit. I think maybe the show might not have been cancelled so soon. Bonnie was the choice for Hoss's wife and when Dan died she was kept as Alice. :sob

tym
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand

100 Posts Fun Topic Starter

View all badges

Post by tym » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:44 am

daisy60 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2016 5:43 pm
Thank you for clarifying this. I will definitely take Andy's word for how it was. Perhaps somebody at that meeting heard Pernell's name mentioned and took it literally.

I wish Desert Gal who interviewed PR was around.

Return to “Season 14”