Episode 175 - A DIME'S WORTH OF GLORY

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Re: Episode 175 - A DIME'S WORTH OF GLORY

Post by littlejoenice » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:24 pm

I watched this episode only once or twice, so bear with me if I forget some of the details. Tobias Finch struck me from the moment I saw him as the kind of person who only wanted a good story, in spite of who got hurt in the process. He played on the sheriff's want of recognition and heroism to the point where the sheriff, in order to appear tough, even began beating on a helpless prisoner.

I liked when Ben came to get Adam out of jail, and Adam said he'd just as soon stay there. Ben (as would be expected) became upset, telling him not to play games or something like that and to come out. Ben understood after he realized the point of Adam's decision, even getting knocked out when trying to emphasize that point. But what I liked was Ben's determination. Even barely conscious (if I remember correctly) he still managed to free his son, giving Adam the chance to express genuine concern when he saw what had happened to his father.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

dougsgirl
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 267
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
45,000 Posts Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Paint Me A Picture

View all badges

Post by dougsgirl » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Not a favorite of mine, but Adam sure looking good in several scene's.

Tahoe Lee
Drover
Drover
Badges: 58

The Coloring Book Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 BINGO Spare Summer 2019
Photographer Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Hidden Treasures Guest Star Bio

View all badges

Post by Tahoe Lee » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Loved this episode. This is one that could have been made
into a movie. Some of the scenes actually look like a film.

Beautiful camera work and great acting!! :thumbup
"You're a good man, Adam." *Toy Soldier*

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 132
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Fun With Captions Level 3 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Some of the comments made me reflect that the actors must have been dealing with paparazzi. This episode certainly shows the 1860s version of the annoying, intrusive sensationalist. The Cartwrights certainly would not have sold their souls to a wild west show. The episode is an interesting contrast to "Enter Mark Twain", a writer in the old west, but with quite a different slant and message to his tall tales.
I also think the saloon shove would have been not such a big thing, certainly not deserving of calling in the law. I suspect Sheriff Coffee would have laughed at Finch.
These users thanked the author elizabeth for the post (total 3):
SharryJuliannaTNTrue
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:01 pm

elizabeth wrote: The episode is an interesting contrast to "Enter Mark Twain", a writer in the old west, but with quite a different slant and message to his tall tales.
I also think the saloon shove would have been not such a big thing, certainly not deserving of calling in the law. I suspect Sheriff Coffee would have laughed at Finch.
Some interesting points-well made! I agree!
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
elizabeth

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:59 pm

I don't think Adam shoving Tobias in the saloon was serious enough to justify any charges...but the sheriff was very susceptible to Finch's manipulation. I appreciated the way Adam refused to let Ben bail him out so that the sheriff couldn't rough up the other prisoner again (or worse) without there being a witness. And the concern he showed when Ben appeared hurt really was beautiful. He acted in a very principled way throughout the episode.

debpet2 :adam
These users thanked the author debpet2 for the post (total 2):
JanuarySharry

SJRCartwright
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2

Escape To Ponderosa New Member Post

View all badges

Post by SJRCartwright » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:57 pm

As a journalism major (complete with A+ in Journalism Ethics), I thought this romp through the early west in literature was a hoot. Much of the East was enthralled with the west and its "heroes" - Wild Bill Hickock, Buffalo Bill, the Pony Express riders, etc. The penny press had developed the forerunner of the modern paperback - the Dime Novel. Truth wasn't necessarily so. The more glorified the writing, the greater the hero, the more the novel could sell (just ask Tobias). Wild West "characters" were the Superheros of their time (and there are always superheros in any era). Considering Bonanza was on for 14 wonderful years, this episode could be a bit "tongue in check" because, our Cartwrights were our heros (and still are). Yep, I like my Adam standing up for truth and justice and journalistic integrity (and the torn shirt is purely enjoyable; just like certain blacksmith scenes in another episode). And let's not forget the episodes showcasing Mark Twain and Charles Dickens!
These users thanked the author SJRCartwright for the post:
Sharry

TNTrue
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by TNTrue » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:00 pm

January wrote: How did Ben and Adam know that Tobias Finch was a no good rotten scoundrel? We found that out as the episode went on, but how did they know that so early on?
Love all the pictures you included!

I assumed they didn't like Finch because he was so clearly determined to make them heroes. As far as Ben and Adam were concerned, they were "just doing what had to be done" -- they did not see themselves as heroic and did not want a fuss made over them. And I kind of suspect they were both savvy enough to know that Finch was trying to use them to better himself somehow, and didn't want to be forced into that role, either!
Sharry wrote:I also thought it was an odd moment for the sheriff to find his courage. Of all the people to challenge, it surprised me he would start with Adam. It didn't seem smart.
I thought the sheriff arrested Adam for two reasons. First, because he resented Adam from the first minute he saw Adam, because Adam was the man he wanted to be. He was so mad about being shown up, he essentially refused to do his job, that first day, until Adam called his bluff. The second reason I think he did it is because he wanted to impress the reporter, in hopes that the reporter will write up his stories. (I'm not convinced the reporter would have been as disinterested as this guy is -- as SJRCartwright points out, Wild West stories were huge, and I expect stories from early Texas history would have sold just fine.)
elizabeth wrote:The episode is an interesting contrast to "Enter Mark Twain", a writer in the old west, but with quite a different slant and message to his tall tales.
:yes

Makes me want to go and rewatch that episode. Which also has some cute Cartwright bits, although I confess I don't remember any as excellent as the opening scene to this one. Although I'm bad at connecting clever Cartwight bits to the right story (do a little better with emotional ones, since they're usually more tied to the plot). Still, the opening scene is all kinda wonderful, as is the scene with Adam right after Ben gets hit over the head. I really felt for Adam, being locked in his cell and not knowing what's going on. He probably wasn't seriously concerned until he actually saw his father -- but that doesn't mean he wasn't a little worried when no one would answer! And concern and worry are slightly different things -- concern goes out to the injured person, and PR shows that so very well. Adam's not my favorite character, but there may've been a bit of Adam swoonage with this episode....

Mark Twain was not trying to glorify anyone, and (I suspect) didn't expect people to take his tales seriously, either. Somewhere I ran across a story in one of the local papers from the time complaining about people believing an earlier article from Virginia City, saying, "You should have all known this was a parody, for reason, reason, reason. Get a sense of humor, people!" Even if Twain didn't write the original (or the one I read), that still represents the attitude of the people he was hanging around with. They expected readers to read with some skepticism -- they didn't always get the story right the first time, and they knew it, and they printed corrections all the time, so they wanted readers to be sensible about things.

They also laughed at bit at those who didn't see through the sort of stories Twain wrote in that episode, I am sure. But that's a different thing to what the reporter in this story is doing, IMHO. He's writing fictional stories about real people. Doing that with the name of someone who has agreed to it (as I believe Buffalo Bill did) is one thing. Doing it with people who're long gone also doesn't bother me (depending on how faithful they are to the 'spirit' of the original person). But doing that against the person's will, and while they're still alive and kicking, is something else altogether. That is libel, and it's rightfully illegal. Not that the reporter sees what he's doing as defamation of character, necessarily -- but the Cartwrights clearly do.
These users thanked the author TNTrue for the post:
Sharry

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:23 pm

Mark Twain did write for the Territorial Enterprise,however Charles Dickens never was in VC except in Bonanza. It was the 5 th season he appeared and by this time historical accuracy wasn’t as good on the show as the first few seasons. The Cartwrights didn’t want to be celebrities. This makes me think of actors who don’t want to be famous when not working so they can be like the rest of us.
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
TNTrue

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 307
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:47 pm

Julianna wrote:Mark Twain did write for the Territorial Enterprise,however Charles Dickens never was in VC except in Bonanza. It was the 5 th season he appeared and by this time historical accuracy wasn’t as good on the show as the first few seasons.
Here's the history connection for Charles Dickens I wrote a few years ago. There are not only biographies of many of the historical characters in the history forum, but also member-written articles connecting the episode with what actually happened -- or didn't. I also did Francois Villon. Check out the History Index. It's a hidden treasure.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=13561
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Return to “Season 6”