Episode 176 - SQUARE DEAL SAM

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 176 - SQUARE DEAL SAM

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:55 am

Date: November 8, 1964

Summary: All the Cartwrights and Hop Sing get taken by con artist Sam Washburn when they buy into his phony land deal.

Written by: Jessica Benson and Murray Golden
Directed by: Murray Golden
Guest Stars: Ernest Truex (Sam Washburn), Nydia Westman (Martha Washburn), Sandy Kenyon (Gibson), Danny Flower (Danny).

square deal sam.gif
square deal sam.gif (15.81 MiB) Viewed 2536 times

Slideshow courtesy of Bejules

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 367
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 176 - SQUARE DEAL SAM

Post by January » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:42 pm

So did I miss something in the opening? :laughing Hoss barely has a 5-minute conversation with the Washburn’s and he’s already invited Mr. & Mrs. W to stay at the Ponderosa until Mr. W figures out what he wants to do? Hoss doesn’t need to check with any family members first? Do you think that was right? Have times changed so much that we forget that at one time, Hoss’ actions may have been the norm?

And not only does Hoss invite strangers to stay at the Ponderosa for a long time but allows the wife to take over the job of Hop Sing as family cook without discussing it with the family?

Hoss explains to Pa that poor couple lost all their investments and what else could he do? :rotfl

… and then the con begins.

Was this old man such an experienced conman that he was able to con Ben, Adam … and anyone else in earshot of his scheme? Did the writers take too much liberty in the fact that Ben would not have fallen for that con as easily as he had?

So fast forward to the family realizing they’ve been conned and Hoss goes and ‘fetches’ them back. And the conman cons them again. :laughing
At this point, I’m rooting for Sam!

The more time that passes, the better it gets (so it seems) for Sam. Now he’s got the cowboys in the saloon all grabbing for a share of this.

Is this typical behavior for the Cs or any other family living out west in the 1800s?
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:37 am

I don't think the rest of the C's were surprised at Hoss's behavior. In "The Scapegoat", they talk about Hoss always "bringing home strays". The Washburns hardly looked like a dangerous duo anyway. :grin

In "The Frenchman", Joe invited Francois to stay at the Ponderosa and he had just threatened to kill Hoss! Of course Joe was blinded by the charm of Francois's sister.

There have always been con men and Sam Washburn was one of the best. Don't forget, the phrase is short for 'confidence man'.

Really good con men obtain the confidence of their mark. I've heard con men say that they are not really like regular criminals. They aren't thieves according to their logic because they don't actually take or steal. People freely give them money because they manage to obtain their confidence. Many people can be conned into thinking they're getting a good deal or "something for nothing".

Even very sophisticated people like Ben can be conned, although I think he and all the C's were more interested in helping out the Washburns rather than hoping to get rich. They hardly needed the money. They were conned into believing Sam's hard luck story and invested in his mine because they thought they'd be helping the Washburns.
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
January

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:05 am

That was a bit funny when all of the Cartwrights pulled out a paper showing they all bought a part of the mine, even Hop Sing! Sam must have been a smooth talker to con all of them, including Hop Sing! :laughing
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
January

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 146
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:15 am

Hoss was practically known for bringing home strays, whether it be people or animals. I don't think his family thought much about it. Ben sometimes more or less expected his sons-- especially Hoss-- to do such a thing. However, even though the Washburns were trying to repay Hoss' hospitality, I don't think it was fair for the missus to take over Hop Sing's kitchen. That, to me, was just plain wrong, no matter how good her intentions were.

I think I have two favorite parts in this episode. The first one is where each of the Cartwright sons pulled out their claims, and then I believe it was Adam or Little Joe (haven't seen the episode in a while) said that "Pa was smart enough" to stay out of something like that, and then Ben goes and takes out his shares.
My second favorite part is at the end of the trial, when the Washburns open an orphanage for the children and are sentenced to take care of them for the rest of their natural life. I thought that was the sweetest part.
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
January
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Gillie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Badges: 449

Global Moderator Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 BINGO L Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Reader's Choice Level 4 BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by Gillie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:04 pm

I don't remember too much about this ep, but I do love the scene where they all pull out their contacts and slowly realize they've been had!
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
Proud owner of Adam's Guitar, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Adam to Joe: "You heard what he said. We look for little green men riding on hound dogs."
"Well, Jessie, I'm not just sure I pleased you." Jim Boyer
:grimesgirl

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:46 pm

This episode is not a favorite of mine. It is pleasant but no real scene touches me for any character. I don’t hate it, but no great quote to remember, no tug at the heart, no big social point. There are no big laughs, so not a great comedy. Even though all the Cartwrights are conned it isn’t that funny,just humorous. There is no slapstick or sight gags either. No historic moment or history learned either. The old couple are cute and it is watchable just not memorable.

dougsgirl
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268

Amazon Buyer Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Fun With Captions Level 2 Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 45,000 Posts Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by dougsgirl » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 pm

As smart as Ben was, and Adam as well, I can't believe how the let Sam swindle them.

AgnethaF
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 303

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
40,000 Posts BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by AgnethaF » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:17 pm

dougsgirl wrote:As smart as Ben was, and Adam as well, I can't believe how the let Sam swindle them.
dougsgirl, great point.
:bejules Proud member of BHA
"I'm never satisfied with my own work." Pernell Roberts.
"I'm with you every step of the way, Pa.. Right down the aisle." Adam The Burma Rarity :adam

Return to “Season 6”