Episode 172 - THANKS FOR EVERYTHING FRIEND

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 56
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 172 - THANKS FOR EVERYTHING FRIEND

Post by Julianna » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Doolittle wrote:Ben offering the ladies at the Bar-be-que some fresh "homemade" bread. What other kind of bread would they have on a ranch in the 1800s? You could tell that this was an ad lib, something we might comment on today but surely didn't make sense at the time!
Bakeries are not a 20th century invention! I am sure if not for Hop Sing, the Cartwrights would be visiting a VC bakery each week! :hopsing1 Although I don’t understand why they didn’t have more baked goods from some of those single VC womenfolk! :lol

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:07 pm

I once went on-line to see what items were available in stores [mercantile] in the 1800's and they had a lot of prepackaged foods, such as vegetables and fruits, baked beans, meats and some baked goods. Of course you not only needed to be close town but you needed money to buy them. Money was very tight for many people.

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 62

Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3
Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1 Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018
Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:01 pm

You have sharp eyes there, Manulanee. I guess it was asking too much of the toupee to stay on while PR was in the river. :grin

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 123

Forum Moderator Christmas Card Team Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019
Oscar Chat 2019 Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018
Thanksgiving 2018 Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3
Behind The Scenes Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by ellen » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:36 am

I think it's pretty amazing that PR did this stunt in the first place. Maybe the water wasn't deep, but it must have been cold (I'm sure he was wearing a wetsuit underneath, though), and they could have easily used a stunt man.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Jim Barnsby

Post by Jim Barnsby » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:31 am

The first four episodes of Bonanza season 6 were solo missions for each Cartwright family member. Thanks for Everything, Friend is Adam's adventure.

It's been stated elsewhere online that Rory Calhoun's Tom Wilson character was a nod to the title character in the "modern western" movie, Hud (1963), which starred Paul Newman--see it now if you haven't already. Tom Wilson was a lot lot more subtle than Newman's Hud Bannon character. Of course, 1964 television standards and practices wouldn't permit Tom Wilson to grace our screens and act just as Hud did on the silver screen. However, both Hud Bannon and Tom Wilson share the concept of the "charming" villain, and it is evident in Thanks for Everything, Friend.

It seemed to me that Tom Wilson got more and more unsavory each time he spoke. It was like his evil was unfolding during the course of the episode, yet he remained charming to the last.

As for Adam, I liked his incisive deduction of Tom's motives for friendship and his definition of it. Plus, there was Adam's philosophy of how a person should be useful to society instead of trying to just get what you can from it. You don't find moral instruction in TV like that anymore.

One thing did irritate me, though: when Roy Coffee told Adam that he'd have to lead the posse because Roy had to wait to meet the governor(!) Sure, let the murderer run free just so 'ol Roy can rub elbows with the governor...Sheesh!

My Rating: 7/10

Return to “Season 6”