Episode 130 - THE SAGA OF WHIZZER MCGEE

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 130 - THE SAGA OF WHIZZER MCGEE

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Date: April 28, 1963

Summary: Whizzer McGee has always been made fun of because of his small size and Hoss understands how he feels and tries to befriend him.

Written by:Robert Lyon Welch
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: George Brenlin (Whizzer McGee), Jeanne Bal (Melissa)

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 130 - THE SAGA OF WHIZZER MCGEE

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:59 am

I'm surprised there are no comments yet for this one. I thought this one was kind of funny and cute while at the same time, holding onto that Bonanza-like drama. I love the beginning of it. Whizzer walks into the saloon, demanding a drink, and when he's refused due to his size, he challenges the bartender to draw... only to mean not guns, but cards!

Here comes Hoss to the rescue. He takes care of him, helps him get a job, opens a door to a new world for him. But after meeting Melissa, all of Hoss' hard work goes flying out the door. It's a shame he dies in the end, protecting Hoss from one of Otis' bullets. Even then, Melissa didn't appreciate that kind of man Whizzer'd been.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 302
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:40 am

I've managed to watch this once and now avoid it whenever it's on. It is a story about Hoss and an underdog so it brings out that side of Hoss -- just as in "the Ape." But while I was sympathetic to Arnie, I have no sympathy for Whizzer; I don't like him in the least. And I fail to see what makes Jeanne Bal so attractive and desirable that a man would commit a crime to win her over since it is only money she loves -- and Whizzer knows it. Bal was more desirable as the Salt Vampire on Star Trek.

I know that we could get into psychological discussions of a Napoleonic complex or "short man" complex and Whizzer constantly having to prove himself since women dismiss him as well as men, but it's touched on in the episode as Whizzer's main complaint -- and then Hoss is so big and his size serves him no better in many cases. But Whizzer does take the bullet meant for Hoss so he dies a hero but up to that point, Whizzer is most unlikeable, IMO, and it would be simplistic to think that his act of bravery would endear him to Melissa -- she never loved him and never said she did.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 am

Adamant wrote:I've managed to watch this once and now avoid it whenever it's on. It is a story about Hoss and an underdog so it brings out that side of Hoss -- just as in "the Ape." But while I was sympathetic to Arnie, I have no sympathy for Whizzer; I don't like him in the least. And I fail to see what makes Jeanne Bal so attractive and desirable that a man would commit a crime to win her over since it is only money she loves -- and Whizzer knows it. Bal was more desirable as the Salt Vampire on Star Trek.

I know that we could get into psychological discussions of a Napoleonic complex or "short man" complex and Whizzer constantly having to prove himself since women dismiss him as well as men, but it's touched on in the episode as Whizzer's main complaint -- and then Hoss is so big and his size serves him no better in many cases. But Whizzer does take the bullet meant for Hoss so he dies a hero but up to that point, Whizzer is most unlikeable, IMO, and it would be simplistic to think that his act of bravery would endear him to Melissa -- she never loved him and never said she did.
I agree, Whizzer isn't likable. About the only part of this episode I like is how Hoss explains how being big can be hard too.

I never realized that Jeanne Bal was the salt vampire! How did I miss that?
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 302
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:01 pm

ellen wrote:
I never realized that Jeanne Bal was the salt vampire! How did I miss that?
Her overbite is soooo distinctive! :grin I knew it was her immediately.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Return to “Season 4”