Episode 83 - THE LADY FROM BALTIMORE

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 209
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator David Canary Birthday 2020 July 4 2020 15,000 Posts
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Gutterball Summer 2020 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Beta Reading Team Crafting 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020
Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant

View all badges

Re: Episode 83 - THE LADY FROM BALTIMORE

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:08 pm

Cartwright fan. wrote:Second, a comment Adam made jumped out at me. It's where he's talking to Ben about going away for a while, and asks, "Mind if I take Hoss with me?" He asks it with the same manner he'd ask, 'can I bring the dog with me?', with. And Ben just saying sure, well, it certainly amused me!!! :ha
Oh, Adam! Hoss is kind and obliging but he is not a doormat or the family dog! Better ask him if he wants to go!
These users thanked the author CowgirlAtHeart for the post:
Cartwright fan.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Kladde72
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Kladde72 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:41 am

I too think that Adam was attracted to Melinda, but that her behavior put him off. I personally HATE when a women throws herself at a man like that. If the guy is interested, he will sertainly let her now. Not something that I would do. I would flirt a little to see if the guy is interested or not. If he´s not, well, it´s his loss.

Kladde72

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 331
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 16 September Song 2020 David Canary Birthday 2020
Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Summer Writing Challenge 2020 July 4 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 13
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Spring Awakens 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 12
Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Persistant Prospector Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Library Story 2020

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:36 pm

CowgirlAtHeart wrote:
Cartwright fan. wrote:Second, a comment Adam made jumped out at me. It's where he's talking to Ben about going away for a while, and asks, "Mind if I take Hoss with me?" He asks it with the same manner he'd ask, 'can I bring the dog with me?', with. And Ben just saying sure, well, it certainly amused me!!! :ha
Oh, Adam! Hoss is kind and obliging but he is not a doormat or the family dog! Better ask him if he wants to go!
I always saw it -- and still do -- as Adam asking because Hoss is needed on the ranch and both of them would then be gone for a few days/weeks. It's because Hoss is necessary that Adam asks if it's alright.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post (total 3):
CowgirlAtHeartJuliannaTNTrue
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Drifter
Drover
Drover
Badges: 33

Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Break The Record Level 2 September Song 2020 July 4 2020
BINGO Participant Summer 2020 Gardening 2020 BINGO Gutterball Summer 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020
Prop Fiction Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Valentine's Day 2020 Oscar Chat 2020
Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 10th Anniversary Letter D Bonanza's 60th Anniversary

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Sun May 26, 2019 7:47 am

Out of all the Bonanza episodes. This is the first episode I can recall the most vividly. Let’s see if I can recall it from an 11/12 year old perspective: Cartwrights have company over including a pretty girl. Joe likes girl. Girl likes Adam instead. Sounds simple, except discovered I was putting myself in Melinda’s shoes and trying to relate to how she was feeling... By the time I realized what was happening (with Melinda), Adam was away with Hoss, and I spent the rest of the episode wondering what Dr. Bellows was doing on the Ponderosa (I was already a fan of I Dream of Jeannie)! Looking back now that I’m older, I recognize actors playing different roles, and I don’t see Hayden Rourke as Dr. Bellows (who didn’t exist yet at that point in time of filming). I will admit Joe was very cute, though I still see what Melinda saw...but even now I still don’t see why Adam went away!

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 170
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Game Night 2020 Level 3 Game Night 2020 Level 2 Game Night 2020 Level 1 Talk Like A Pirate 2020
Capt Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020 July 4 2020 BINGO Participant Summer 2020
BINGO Snail Summer 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020 20,000 Posts Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant Valentine's Day 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse!

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:09 am

Melinda's mom was the one trying to push her into a marriage with Joe, because she thought he was easier to control :rotfl Melinda was a bit too obvious! She pretty much threw herself at Adam. There may have been a relationship between Adam and Melinda but Adam backed off so as not too hurt Joe. It hurt Joe anyway! :shrug

rogell
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Group Member

View all badges

Post by rogell » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 pm

This is one of my favorite episodes. I like the dynamic between Melinda and Adam. I also like the direction and cinematography which is very uncharacteristic for Bonanza. Usually Bonanza flows but there are some awkward scenes on this one. Such as when Adam comes in to the kitchen, Joe goes to get the wine and Adam goes to get a drink of water, like he's waiting for Melinda to say something to him. He drinks very little, pours it out. As soon as Joe walks in he exits stage left. Also at the beginning when Ben goes to meet the stage and those three men follow behind its pretty far fetched. I think that's why I love watching this episode.

TNTrue
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by TNTrue » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:30 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:40 pm
However, I did like the part where Adam told his father, "She's marrying Joe, but she kissed me." And then his solution is to just disappear out of sight for a while.
That seemed out of character for Adam to me. He basically tells his father, "Fix this, I'm out," when usually he'd at least have an opinion on how to go about it. That's actually one of the few indicators I see that he was still honestly attracted to Melinda. But my basic read is that there was something there, but her dishonesty keeps killing his interest.
Adamant wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:36 pm
I always saw it -- and still do -- as Adam asking because Hoss is needed on the ranch and both of them would then be gone for a few days/weeks. It's because Hoss is necessary that Adam asks if it's alright.
:yes

And I expect Hoss is generally okay with a change of plan, when necessary -- he's fine with doing what's most needed, so if both Adam and Pa say he needs to do something, he'll do it.
rogell wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 pm
Adam comes in to the kitchen, Joe goes to get the wine and Adam goes to get a drink of water, like he's waiting for Melinda to say something to him. He drinks very little, pours it out.
I think he meant to come in for a drink, then stopped in the doorway when he saw what Joe and Melinda were up to. After that he's got to tease Joe, of course, before he goes for his water. This week I watched this ep with my two Bonanza-loving daughters, and then the commentary, and both times when Melinda starts coming on to him, eldest said (speaking for Adam) "Don't do it!" and then when Adam pours the water out, she says, "Welp, that water's ruined now." Meaning water isn't going to help what's most bothering Adam anymore.
rogell wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:37 pm
Also at the beginning when Ben goes to meet the stage and those three men follow behind its pretty far fetched.
True, but it's also pretty funny. :grin

Return to “Season 3”