Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Re: Episode 135 - SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY

Post by Julianna » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:56 pm

One of the other members wrote an interesting thought. It was written in Portugese, but very insightful after I used the online translator+
"This episode is one of my favorites. It's magic to tune in between the two actors, Pernell and Dan. The seconds before the fight (the beating that Adam took, actually) show a perfect scene with great interpretations. Impossible not to be moved by Adam's tortured gaze, when he discovered that his brother saw him kissing the bitch ..."
I have to agree that Adam had a torturted look when he realized Hoss had seen him. I don't think he knew what Hoss wanted when he went in the bunk house or he wouldn't have gone in. There were guilty feelings in play here otherwise why no attempt to block the punches? It does disturb me and always has about Hoss. He never let Adam explain and surely he had to realize that Adam was not fighting back. The other fights were one punch between the brothers and in Springtime letting off steam and wrestling, no one was that angry. It does not say much for either character if you trust someone you only know for a few weeks over your sibling. The writers wrote like this all the time. Little Joe wanted to fight Adam in The Lady from Baltimore and Ben was there to take care of it. In that episode Adam tried to help her with her dress and she kissed him.
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
Sharry

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 60

Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019
Reader's Choice Level 1 Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary
Winter 2018/2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:39 am

I agree the translated comments are extremely insightful, Julianna. It nails a lot of the emotions that were likely at play. I believe Adam would have felt guilty when he realized what Hoss wanted. He didn't intend for anyone to see him, much less Hoss. Not blocking the punches was another way of demonstrating how helpless he felt in whole situation. The circumstances were intense. :adam :hoss
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
Julianna

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Julianna wrote: It does disturb me and always has about Hoss. He never let Adam explain and surely he had to realize that Adam was not fighting back.
Well, Hoss definitely had tensions running high, but I still think his reaction was totally reasonable under the circumstances. He saw Adam kissing (getting kissed) by Regan. That's all he knew, and personally, I think that would've been enough for any Cartwright to go on. If Adam saw Joe kissing his girl, would he not be upset in the same way? The only difference I can see is Adam might jump in right then and knock Joe's block off in front of the girl. I don't think one would just shrug off the fact, or assume innocence, in your significant other being, (or appearing to be), kissed by your sibling.
Adam's not fighting back was perfect, in my opinion. It fits Adam's character in the way that he knew he was wrong, and was in a way punishing himself by not raising a hand to Hoss. Besides, I don't think Hoss would've kept pounding him into the ground. I think he was pretty much done with him when Ben and Joe showed up. If you watch it again, you'll see he hurls Adam towards the doors, but doesn't follow after him right away. Methinks it would've been more like Hoss walks up to him, tells him to stay away from Regan or he'll be sorry, then leaves. I don't think he was going to kill him, like Ben seemed to think. "...When Adam came home, Hoss almost killed him!"
Okay, I'm done. :laughing
These users thanked the author Cartwright fan. for the post (total 2):
PJudithJulianna
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:49 pm

Very good explanation. When cupid flies in the window, common sense flies out.

The brothers argued before just like all siblings do. But nothing ever got too drastic. Sometimes it was silly "blowing off steam" like in Springtime. Other times they argued about stuff.

This was different. No man wants to see another man kissing his fiance. Even sweet natured Hoss would lose it! And it seemed like a double betrayal coming from his own brother.

Julianna
Drover
Drover

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:25 pm

[ If Adam saw Joe kissing his girl, would he not be upset in the same way? The only difference I can see is Adam might jump in right then and knock Joe's block off in front of the girl.
Aside from A Rose for Lotta, When did Adam ever hit his brothers in real anger and not letting off steam or horseplay? I know in A House Divided he pushed Joe away, and Joe hit him. He might have hit back, except for Pa's interference. But that was not about a girl. I don't think he ever hauled off and hit his brothers. ( friendly pats don't count)
I don't think he was going to kill him, like Ben seemed to think. "...When Adam came home, Hoss almost killed him!"
[/quote]
A parent exaggerating for the desired effect. He did beat the crap out of him and you don't see him again until the very last scene. Adam never was interested in any of his brothers' girlfriends with the exception of Melinda and when it was confirmed Joe wanted to marry her; he left to buy cattle. Somehow I can't get the picture of Adam wiping his mouth after kissing Reagan, but he didn't mind Melinda's kiss except a bit embarrassed. Adam truly loved his family and was very protective of his brothers. PR may not have felt that way, but AC did over and over and if you really look at him in the scenes you see it. But I think in his own way, PR loved his cast mates more than he admitted.

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:48 pm

Julianna wrote:[Aside from A Rose for Lotta, When did Adam ever hit his brothers in real anger and not letting off steam or horseplay?
He didn't, but that's part of the point. When did Hoss hit his brothers, simply in anger? Nothing at stake, no real reason, but he JUST DID? Hoss doesn't seem like the type that will fly off the handle for no reason. He seemed like the last person that would get angry enough to hurt people; so if you could rile him to that point, who's to say you couldn't do the same with Adam?
Adam seemed to have a more controlled, revered personality, but he could get angry. In "The Hopefuls", Adam and Hoss are chasing Sam Bord, who took the Quaker's money, and they stop for fresh horses. The stable owner isn't being slow on purpose, but when he's taking longer than Adam wants, Adam gets slightly physical. He grabs the man's shirt and shoves him, telling him to hurry up. That wasn't even entirely about a girl, and he was already mad enough to be physical. Who's to say Adam couldn't be pushed far enough to do, under the same circumstances, what Hoss did to him? :shrug
These users thanked the author Cartwright fan. for the post:
Julianna
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

Julianna
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:00 pm

When did Hoss hit his brothers, simply in anger? The Courtship comes to mind at the top of my head. Both brothers get it!

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Julianna wrote:When did Hoss hit his brothers, simply in anger? The Courtship comes to mind at the top of my head. Both brothers get it!
But Hoss was angry over a woman. He felt his brothers betrayed him by bringing Helen to town, and was probably embarrassed to top it off. It wasn't like with Joe in "The Quest", where he was just mad and hit both brothers with nothing at stake. I guess it's just my opinion, but I don't think Hoss' reaction was as out of sorts as others think. The Courtship, however, I could almost agree with you that it was strange... but I prefer to blame poor writing. :laughing
These users thanked the author Cartwright fan. for the post:
Julianna

Julianna
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:04 pm

but I prefer to blame poorwriting
:rotfl

Julianna
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:35 am

Cartwright fan. wrote:
Julianna wrote:When did Hoss hit his brothers, simply in anger? The Courtship comes to mind at the top of my head. Both brothers get it!
But Hoss was angry over a woman. He felt his brothers betrayed him by bringing Helen to town, and was probably embarrassed to top it off. It wasn't like with Joe in "The Quest", where he was just mad and hit both brothers with nothing at stake. I guess it's just my opinion, but I don't think Hoss' reaction was as out of sorts as others think. The Courtship, however, I could almost agree with you that it was strange... but I prefer to blame poor writing. :laughing
Cartwright Fan, I saw The Rival a few days ago on TV. Hoss' friend, Jim Applegate stole Hoss' girl Cameo which Hoss had been courting for some time and he didn't beat him or treat him the way he did Adam in She Walks in Beauty. so it has to be the writing.
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
Cartwright fan.

Return to “Season 5”