Episode 183 - THE FLAPJACK CONTEST

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 183 - THE FLAPJACK CONTEST

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:03 am

Date: January 3, 1965

Summary: Joe puts Hoss on a starvation diet to ensure Hoss stays hungry enough to eat his way to the $500 prize in Virginia City's annual flapjack contest.

Written by: Frank Cleaver
Directed by: William F. Claxton
Guest Stars: Johnny Seven (Trager), Mel Berger (Big Ed), Joan Huntington (Lily)

Slideshow courtesy of Freya

Chenoa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Little Joe & Hoss

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Christmas 2018 Without A Trace 6
Talk like a pirate 2017 Spare BINGO Quotes Search BINGO Quotes Fun With Quotes 2017
Saint Patrick's Day 2017 Countdown to 1,111,111 100 Posts The Reading Club
The Reading Club Oktoberfest 2016 Talk Like A Pirate 2016 St. Patrick's Day 2016

View all badges

Re: Episode 183 - THE FLAPJACK CONTEST

Post by Chenoa » Fri May 27, 2016 6:48 pm

This is a wonderful episode, with Hoss and Joe being, ...well..., Hoss and Joe!

I love how Hoss keeps trying to sneak into the kitchen for some food with Joe, knowing his big brother, being always one step ahead of him. After Hoss stumbles on the stairs and falls straight into Joe´s "security measurements", the look on their faces is priceless! Poor Hoss starving, and his little brother sending him back to bed without food, but with a slightly mad look in his eyes. :laughing
Also, the little subplot with Joe loosing one window pane after the other is great; when I first watched this one, I did not know how many ways there were to break a window pane...

There is just one scene that I don´t know what to make of, that is where Joe asks Hoss to imagine what Ben will do to him if he learns the truth. To me it sounds like he is going to be beaten, but I just won´t believe Ben EVER did this to his boys. :sad
I think Lorne said that he based Ben on his own father, and all it would take to bring him down to earth was one look by his father. Besides, they have done worse things in the past, and I think he would know better than to punish Joe for telling the truth!
"They´re three fine boys Jed...hard workers and a good head on their shoulders...they are close to each other as brothers should be!" Ben in "Springtime"

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Fri May 27, 2016 7:09 pm

Chenoa wrote: There is just one scene that I don´t know what to make of, that is where Joe asks Hoss to imagine what Ben will do to him if he learns the truth. To me it sounds like he is going to be beaten, but I just won´t believe Ben EVER did this to his boys. :sad
Oh, I don't think Joe was afraid of being beaten by Ben. I think he was afraid of his temper! As children, I think most of us have thought at one time or the other "my parents are going to KILL me!"

I enjoy this episode because again, Hoss is just putty in Joe's hands. But the episode has so much silliness you just have to sit back and enjoy. Don't try to think about it logically because your head will explode!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Chenoa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Little Joe & Hoss

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Christmas 2018 Without A Trace 6
Talk like a pirate 2017 Spare BINGO Quotes Search BINGO Quotes Fun With Quotes 2017
Saint Patrick's Day 2017 Countdown to 1,111,111 100 Posts The Reading Club
The Reading Club Oktoberfest 2016 Talk Like A Pirate 2016 St. Patrick's Day 2016

View all badges

Post by Chenoa » Fri May 27, 2016 7:34 pm

ellen wrote:
Chenoa wrote: There is just one scene that I don´t know what to make of, that is where Joe asks Hoss to imagine what Ben will do to him if he learns the truth. To me it sounds like he is going to be beaten, but I just won´t believe Ben EVER did this to his boys. :sad
Oh, I don't think Joe was afraid of being beaten by Ben. I think he was afraid of his temper! As children, I think most of us have thought at one time or the other "my parents are going to KILL me!"

I enjoy this episode because again, Hoss is just putty in Joe's hands. But the episode has so much silliness you just have to sit back and enjoy. Don't try to think about it logically because your head will explode!

I think I got this idea because I recently watched "Love me Not", and there is that scene, early on, where Ben leaves the dinner table after Joan "refuses" to come down, and Joe wonders what he might be up to. Adam tells him he ought to remember that look in Ben´s eyes from his childhood, and then we see Ben putting her over his knee...That´s where I felt that this so unlike Ben, even with quite a handful like Joan he would not react like this, but leave her be and calm down before going to see her, after all, he raised three Cartwright´s. :laughing

You are absolutely right about Hoss, he let´s his little brother get away with murder...I love these two, they can always make me laugh!
"They´re three fine boys Jed...hard workers and a good head on their shoulders...they are close to each other as brothers should be!" Ben in "Springtime"

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat May 28, 2016 2:02 am

Hoss and Joe comedy at their best! I love the trap set up by Joe and when Hoss sneaks down the stair for a late-night snack to find Joe, right there waiting for him. The window pane breaking was funny and Michael used it again in LHOP.

Fanofoldtvshows
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 374
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

September Song 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading Special 2019 Summer Reading 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Reader's Choice Level 4 Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers

View all badges

Post by Fanofoldtvshows » Sat May 28, 2016 10:18 am

A great comedy episode. One of my favorites.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat May 28, 2016 11:18 am

Love this episode. I agree with Chenoa. The breaking of the window panes was my favorite part. Especially the first one where Joe told Ben he forgot the window pane, and jumps on the back of the buckboard. The looks on both Ben and Joe's faces are absolutely priceless! And how Joe's voice cracks when he says, "I guess Hoss remembered." Or at least it was something like that. And the scene, too, where Joe put the window pane under the couch cushions, and Ben went inside to lie down for a while. Another great scene there, too.
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
Chenoa
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Gillie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Badges: 448

Global Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
BINGO L Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES Reader's Choice Level 4 BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by Gillie » Sat May 28, 2016 2:33 pm

While sometimes I find the extent to which Joe can manipulate Hoss into doing crazy things annoying, The Flapjack Contest makes me laugh out loud. There's something so light-hearted and real about the brotherly dynamics.

The scene where Hoss falls down the stairs after tripping on Joe's alarm system is :laughing !
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
Proud owner of Adam's Guitar, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Adam to Joe: "You heard what he said. We look for little green men riding on hound dogs."
"Well, Jessie, I'm not just sure I pleased you." Jim Boyer
:grimesgirl

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:49 pm

This is one of the funniest episodes to be sure. Hoss sneaking downstairs and falling into Joe's trap and the broken windowpanes are hilarious. The one part that doesn't make sense to me is the whole subplot about the ruby. It turns out to be fake, and yet Joe is still expected to reimburse Adam as though it was real? Scratching my head about that one.

debpet2 :adam

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 178
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:27 am

Was it really a fake, or did the woman just think it was? (I don't know much about rubies...would a real ruby shatter if it was dropped?)
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Return to “Season 6”