Episode 44 - THE SAVAGE

Bonanza Season 2 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 44 - THE SAVAGE

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Date: December 3, 1960

Summary: Adam falls in love with a girl known to the Indians as the white buffalo woman.

Written by: Joe Stone, Paul King
Directed by: James Neilson
Guest Stars: Anna Lisa (Ruth Halverson), Hal Jon Norman (Chief Chato)

Slideshow courtesy of Adamant

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Re: Episode 44 - THE SAVAGE

Post by manulanee » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:18 am

I always have to smile when Adam asks for a razor although he grew just an ever so small shadow of a beard during all those days. :rotfl Wonder whether they just filmed it without previous notice and he had already shaved that day or whether this was the situation when he should have grown some sort of beard and shaved nevertheless. (Can't remember where I read that, but it sounds like him!)
savage adam razor.png
savage adam razor.png (184.94 KiB) Viewed 2566 times
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:13 am

I think that it was too early in the series for him to boast that much facial hair. We really didn't see the men have a beard until much later. What it does remind me is that Flintstones episode where he has more of a shadow than he does here.

Other than that, I like the mystical approach to this episode. There are some who take it all at face value and others who think it more a dream.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Sierra Girl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Countdown to 1,111,111 Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts
1,000 Posts Boomers Million PODs FanFic Writer Badge
Fan Fic Fun Don't Blink BINGO Snail BINGO Search
BINGO Special Guess The Episode Cartsmurf Hidden Treasures September Song 2015

View all badges

Post by Sierra Girl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:24 pm

This is one of my favourite episodes. There's great chemistry between Pernell and Anna-Lisa. Love her accent too.

The first time I watched it I took it at face value. But then I read lots of debate as to whether it was all a dream because Adam is delirious with fever. Each time I watch it now, I try to work out whether it's real or imaginary, and I still can't make up my mind. I've read theories that because he's in a trapper's camp, a trapper has looked after him. But why would a trapper not be there at all times when Adam is ill and feverish. Or has he run off with all the Indian activity going on around his camp!

Then again, he sees Ruth BEFORE he gets injured so surely she's real. Unless he is only dreaming that? Does he see a ring in his delirium and then dream he's giving it to Ruth?

I tend towards the side which says it's all real, as Adam and Ruth are great together. And has been said before somewhere on YouTube, the first kiss they share is probably the finest kiss in PR history. So tender. And the look he gives her. And the way he touches her face. Eeeeee I'm melting.

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310

Forum Moderator Librarian Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019
September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by patina » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:15 pm

I'm of the opinion Adam dreamed up the romance with Ruth. The music lends a dream-like quality to the ep.

I have no doubt Ruth was really there and tended his wounds but that's it. When Ben, Joe, and Hoss arrive at Ruth's camp, Adam is face-down on the travois Ruth used to transport him to her camp; when the Cartwrights roll Adam over, his shirt is buttoned up and Hoss comments on older brother's fever.

When we last saw Ruth and Adam (when he was tied to the tree), his shirt was unbuttoned. Seems odd that Ruth or the Shoshone would take the time to button up his shirt before abandoning him.

The wooden ring in her Bible is a nice touch that leaves the viewer wondering if it was a dream or not.
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:30 am

The best argument for "it's a dream" is that Adam didn't go after Ruth. I just can't imagine that he wouldn't try to find her if she was real and he "loved her very much".
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:31 pm

ellen wrote:... and he "loved her very much".
The very sentence always felt odd for me, because it sounds so "un-Adam-ly" with its weird intonation. Just as weird as the intonation of "That is good Whisky!" in "Thanks For Everything, Friend". You could think he is imitating some bad actors.
It came to my mind that they had to dub some scenes or only sentences back in the studio after having filmed outside and there was too much noise or a car or a plane to be heard. And I remember having read that the best in dubbing were Mike and Pernell ... IF he wanted to. So maybe, he delivered one of his little jokes with these two sentences? :shrug :cool1
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310

Forum Moderator Librarian Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019
September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by patina » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:08 pm

His delivery of the line "I love you very much" is said with about as much passion as, "I want a grilled cheese sandwich." :lol

But maybe that's also part of the possibility of the romance with Ruth being a dream instead of "real."
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

grimesgirl
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 87

Forum Moderator 100 Posts 1,000 Posts 5,000 Posts
10,000 Posts 15,000 Posts 20,000 Posts 25,000 Posts
30,000 Posts 35,000 Posts half million posts Boomers Million
PR Brick Dedication Volunteer Referral Badge Cartwright Generosity

View all badges

Post by grimesgirl » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:19 pm

ellen wrote:The best argument for "it's a dream" is that Adam didn't go after Ruth. I just can't imagine that he wouldn't try to find her if she was real and he "loved her very much".
Well, the man could hardly set his horse so he probably wasn't in any shape to go after her at that particular moment. Perhaps, he did try later to find her (several fan fictions have him and Hoss looking for her but not finding her). I would imagine Ben would be very much against Adam trying to find her although that wouldn't keep our stubborn Adam from trying. Hoss did warn him about what would probably happen to her.

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 332
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:33 am

I think Adam dreamed the entire thing. I think Ruth existed, long ago, and he stumbled upon her abandoned camp in a fevered state, read the bible and looked at the "things" and imagined/dreamed the rest.

I have to disagree with those who saw chemistry between Adam/Pernell and Ruth/Annalisa. I didn't feel any chemistry between them at all. Just my opinion.

Return to “Season 2”