Episode 326 - THE WISH

Bonanza Season 10 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 326 - THE WISH

Post by Episode Guide » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:29 pm

Date: March 9, 1969

Summary: Hoss goes on a vacation and rides into a town called Chiso. He meets a little black boy named John, who has stolen some candles from the store. Hoss asks why and he says he wishes on the candles and one of his wishes is that his father be white. Hoss tries to help John's ex-slave father make a go of their farm, but some of the town’s people won't let it happen.

Written by: Michael Landon
Directed by:Michael Landon
Guest Stars: Ossie Davis (Sam Davis), George Spell (John O. Davis)

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy and Bonanza Boomers Gallery

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All

Re: Episode 326 - THE WISH

Post by Dagburnit » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:52 pm

A perfectly outstanding episode....... :woohoo
one of the best of the 10 year series so far.
I am just not sure though how Hoss planned on taking a two month vacation all by himself without even a fresh set of clothes. :thumbup :hoss :shrug

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:47 am

Wonderful episode! It shows how horribly free blacks were treated-unable to find work and being bullied because of their skin color. John wished that his father was white so they could live freely. In the end, after being beat up, reality sets in and he himself has stopped wishing.

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand

Post by Dagburnit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:51 pm

The story was right at the height of the Civil Rights movement around 1969. The nuances in the story reflect that. A very powerful story. A classic episode which should probably be viewed in schools.........and even by adults in this world of paranoia about those who are different (i.e. Muslim, etc.).

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 170
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator Christmas Card Team Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019
BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Host Valentine's Day Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 Surprise Level 2
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Cinco de mayo 2018

View all badges

Post by ellie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:38 am

Yesterday I was talking to an African American man who told me about the things that he is STILL experiencing today!

Fanofoldtvshows
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 380
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Christmas Card Team Reader's Choice Level 6 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Reader's Choice Level 5 September Song 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading Special 2019 Summer Reading 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Reader's Choice Level 4

View all badges

Post by Fanofoldtvshows » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:06 pm

A great episode and great writing by ML. He improved a lot since his first script The Gamble.

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:05 pm

Boy, I tell you, this episode is by far my favorite ML-written/directed episode. It definitely made a lasting impression on me. Everything about it impressed me so. It's the kind of the episode I wish I could personally shake ML's hand on, it was that good.

Here's some interesting background info on it:
This was Michael Landon's favorite episode.

Trivia: Ossie Davis making his only appearance, fine actor and performer. He was also a guest on the 1991 Michael Landon tribute: "Laughter and Love". Roy Jenson and Jerry Summers return, in the roles of the two town bigots.

Stunt Trivia: The climactic barn fight in this episode was expertly choreographed by Michael Landon. Even though he didn't believe in violence, his fights would showcase the great physical strength in the characters he'd write in a script. When he'd stage the fights in the shows he wrote and directed, it was as realistic as they could get.

His expertise as a good athlete only made this more of a reality in the fights he and other actors would be involved in during filming. Ossie Davis, Roy Jenson and Jerry Summers did exactly as Michael instructed them, as this was how he envisioned it in his mind. The great physical strength and acting of all three men was as realistic as it ever got. One of the greatest fights ever filmed for the series. In the barn fight, Lee Duncan doubles Ossie Davis in three bit parts as the fight starts with Jerry Summers.
And this:
Michael Landon presented great pride of authoring "The Wish," which guested black actor Ossie Davis and aired on March 9, 1969. In the story, Dan Blocker (Hoss) assists a neighboring black family but unwittingly becomes the fumbling and insensitive "liberal," in part the target of Landon's script.

Michael recalled, "Mainly, I wanted to get across the idea to whites just why black people are angry and frustrated and I wanted to help cool some of the backlash. One black writer saw the show and said to me. 'You've gotten so close to what it's like to be black, I could hardly believe it was written by a white man.' For me that was my Emmy."
The "fumbling and insensitive liberal" made me laugh because it's still very true today. The condescending, patriarchal attitude liberals have toward minorities is so offensive and arrogant that they don't even realize how their 'progressive' social policies actually hold minorities back.

ML definitely deserved an Emmy for this. Outstanding episode. :very happy

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand

Post by Dagburnit » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:59 pm

I agree. Unfortunately I finished watching the series online and I guess I'm left with revisiting episodes in order to get back into the forum again...

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi dagburnit, I was wondering where you had disappeared to. I enjoy reading your posts and unique POV. :Tracy

I cant't believe it's been over a year since I discovered BZ and I still haven't gotten through all 14 seasons. Thanks to the so-called 'lost episodes' I've been skipping around seasons instead of watching in chronological order as I'd wanted to do. And of course real life gets in the way of BZ bingeing.

Season 10 has surprised me. There are more episodes I've really enjoyed than I thought I would. I wish this forum had a thread in each section so that we could discuss each BZ season in general.

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand

Post by Dagburnit » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:46 pm

I guess it could make sense to go back and rewatch particularly quality episodes.....and then jump back into the forums. Right now I've been into old Perry Mason episodes and Father Dowling Mysteries. Quite a change from. Bonanza...!!

Return to “Season 10”