Episode 170 - THE HOSTAGE

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 170 - THE HOSTAGE

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:10 am

Date: September 27, 1964

Summary: Ben is kidnapped by a band of outlaws and held for ransom in an old abandoned mine.

Written by: Donn Mullally
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Harold J. Stone (Chad), Jacqueline Scott (Willa), Conlon Carter (Tip), Bill Clark (Jim), Buck Taylor (Billy), Cal Bartlett (Len)

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Re: Episode 170 - THE HOSTAGE

Post by Calamity » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:28 pm

If I was going to kidnap a Cartwright (for ransom :grin ) which one would I take? This episode prompts the question anytime I watch it. I like that the boys come together but wonder if I would have taken Ben.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Post by snapdragon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:41 pm

:thumbup Another great episode. I was getting tired of Little Joe being the damsel in distress all the time, so it was interesting to see how the boys would react to Ben's kidnapping/ransom.

I liked the quiet scene where Adam and Hoss simply looked at one another, nodded, and then rode out together to find their Pa, knowing full well what they had to do but not saying a word between them. That rings true to me. I understand that Joe and Hoss are emotionally closer as brothers, but Adam/Hoss could be a formidable team when trouble's brewing.

I think this show has had way too much focus on Joe/Hoss and Joe/Pa, but not enough of Adam/Hoss. A lost opportunity to explore an interesting, complicated relationship.

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:39 pm

I suppose they would have had time problems to explore the Adam-Hoss relationship in this episode, too, or it would have had to be a two-parter. I think there actually was an episode about Adam and Hoss, but I can't remember which one :think... too late for me already here in Austria to think straight, I'm afraid :laughing
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:54 pm

We get to see the Adam/Hoss dynamic in The Hopefuls and the Philip Deidesheimer Story but not in this one. I would have much preferred this to be a two part episode bringing in more on Hop Sing and Sheriff Coffee. I enjoyed the conflict between the kidnappers but I don't think I really felt that Ben was in any kind of real danger.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Jim Barnsby
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Post by Jim Barnsby » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:36 am

A Ben episode in which he plays the 3:10 to Yuma (1957) card, making The Hostage an entry in the sub-genre of "Psychological Western", though it doesn't get deep into what makes the kidnappers tick, psychologically speaking.

Lorne Greene does a fine job here, as we get to see him in a decidedly un-paternal characterization. It gives one an idea of how Ben, when threatened, can "turn on the nasty" if he must. He is in total control, even though he is the hostage.

I'll keep an eye out on the missed opportunity for this episode to better explore the Adam-Hoss dynamic. Based on the previous comments, others noticed when I did not. I've always believed the Adam-Hoss relationship was never given enough attention.

The whole Cartwright family are involved--always a great thing. The episode also features superb location shooting in Keyesville, Big Blue Mine Kernville, according to online sources. This looks to me like the location used in the 1967 Paul Newman western, Hombre, but it was not.

Excellent musical underscore used throughout, and there's an especially menacing cue featuring in the story's opening.

Visually, there is a newer look to this episode, so the early '60s period is giving way to the mid-1960s era by way of the more clear-looking camerwork.

My Rating: 7/10

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 140
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019
15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:54 pm

Lorne did a good acting job on this and so did everyone else. The sons all stuck together, tricking them into thinking only Joe, alone was delivering the ransom. That was great seeing Ben riding Cochise! :very happy

Return to “Season 6”