Episode 139 - THE TOY SOLDIER

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 139 - THE TOY SOLDIER

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:39 pm

Date: October 20, 1963

Summary: Adam gets to know an artist named James Callan, who is married to an Indian woman. Callan can’t defend himself against the hostilities.

Written by: Warren Douglas
Directed by: Tay Garnett
Guest Stars: Philip Abbott as James Callan, Morgan Woodward as McDermott, Donna Martell as Esther Callan.

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

littlejoenice
Buckaroo
Buckaroo
Badges: 173
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Crafting 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 14
Persistant Prospector Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Winter 2020 Participant Valentine's Day 2020
Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 BINGO Line Winter 2020 Reader's Choice Level 6 WAT 9
Winter Writing Challenge 2019 12th Anniversary BB Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Library Story 2020

View all badges

Re: Episode 139 - THE TOY SOLDIER

Post by littlejoenice » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:26 pm

I recently watched this episode, and I liked it. Like most Bonanza episodes, I've noticed that they start out with comedy before leading up to the dramatic climax. All in all, an enjoyable episode. The ending was perfect. For some reason, I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting Adam's family to show up.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Janet the Wicked
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 14
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 1,000 Posts Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! Lorne Greene Birthday 2020
Meet & Greet Chat 2020 WAT 9 10th Anniversary Letter W Step up to 2020
Don't Blink PODs Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Amazon Buyer
100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:17 pm

I loved when Ben, Hoss and Lil' Joe showed up at the end. The Cartwrights to the rescue!!! And they drew their guns at the same time. It was very impressive.
Is that all you can think about at a time like this, cake???

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 321
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Persistant Prospector
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Library Story 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host
12th Anniversary BB Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Escape To Ponderosa Step up to 2020
Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:03 am

Other than the opening scene (although I find it ridiculous that Hoss could be toppled over by a tug on his shirt collar) and the first scene in the bar, I don't really care for this episode. I find the end, the deus ex machina of the C's riding into town to save the day, absurd. Also, the Indian who throws his lance and kills McDermott's right hand man, has committed murder and no one seems to care. The man was just standing there and the Indian (Esther's brother) slaughters him. Where are the Cartwright standards--or anyone's standards? You tell the man to drop his weapon first and if he doesn't and makes a menacing move, then you act.

Other than watching the beginning, I tend to skip this one. But PR does look good. (Funny how the Indian portrait appeared in the earlier seasons and also here in season 5. Hmmmm. :laughing I did a Guest Star POD featuring the Indian Portrait which at one time, hung in Joe's room.)
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

barbp
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 8
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: adam

FFW 2018 Matchups Christmas 2017 100 Posts Oktoberfest 2013
September Song 2012 Little Joe's Treasure Hunt Summer 2011 Christmas 2013

View all badges

Post by barbp » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 am

I wondered about the portrait- thanks for mentioning and explaining

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 130
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 Stuffed in Chat 2020
Meet & Greet Chat 2020 WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Christmas Baubles 2019
Christmas Card Team Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:48 am

Adamant wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:03 am
...Also, the Indian who throws his lance and kills McDermott's right hand man, has committed murder and no one seems to care. The man was just standing there and the Indian (Esther's brother) slaughters him. Where are the Cartwright standards--or anyone's standards? You tell the man to drop his weapon first and if he doesn't and makes a menacing move, then you act.
I SO agree! That was horrifying.

But the opening scene is terrific - typical brother stuff, I love it!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

dougsgirl
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 289
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse!
BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant Valentine's Day 2020 BINGO L Winter 2020
Oscar Chat 2020 50,000 Posts Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Pattern This!
WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020 Christmas Baubles 2019

View all badges

Post by dougsgirl » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:33 pm

I personally enjoyed this episode. I guess because as usual, Adam was for the underdog, being the Paiutes in this case.

Janet the Wicked
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand

Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 1,000 Posts Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! Lorne Greene Birthday 2020

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:40 pm

Adamant wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:03 am
Other than the opening scene (although I find it ridiculous that Hoss could be toppled over by a tug on his shirt collar) and the first scene in the bar, I don't really care for this episode. I find the end, the deus ex machina of the C's riding into town to save the day, absurd. Also, the Indian who throws his lance and kills McDermott's right hand man, has committed murder and no one seems to care. The man was just standing there and the Indian (Esther's brother) slaughters him. Where are the Cartwright standards--or anyone's standards? You tell the man to drop his weapon first and if he doesn't and makes a menacing move, then you act.

Other than watching the beginning, I tend to skip this one. But PR does look good. (Funny how the Indian portrait appeared in the earlier seasons and also here in season 5. Hmmmm. :laughing I did a Guest Star POD featuring the Indian Portrait which at one time, hung in Joe's room.)
But isn't that what the Cartwrights did? As corny as the ending is, and I love them all drawing their guns at once, isn't this was the show was about?

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 321
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Persistant Prospector
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Library Story 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host
12th Anniversary BB Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Escape To Ponderosa Step up to 2020
Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:58 pm

Janet the Wicked wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:40 pm

But isn't that what the Cartwrights did? As corny as the ending is, and I love them all drawing their guns at once, isn't this was the show was about?
What? Absurd plot endings, synchronized gun-drawing, and the condoning of murder? No, I don't think so. But it does smack of poor writing and that happened often in the series.

But to each his own.

(Do note though, that after the "murder", no one is horrified; Adam and Callan calmly walk into the depot to send him off to Washington. "God's in His heaven: All's right with the world.")
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Janet the Wicked
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:17 pm

Adamant wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:58 pm
Janet the Wicked wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:40 pm

What? Absurd plot endings, synchronized gun-drawing, and the condoning of murder? No, I don't think so. But it does smack of poor writing and that happened often in the series.

But to each his own.

(Do note though, that after the "murder", no one is horrified; Adam and Callan calmly walk into the depot to send him off to Washington. "God's in His heaven: All's right with the world.")
I just thought it was a fun scene. In my world, an avid movie fan, I thought the actors did a great job of handling guns, drawing at the same time. That's how I enjoy the show. They arrive at Paramount Studios in the morning, handle real guns, ride horses, have a lot of laughs at the commissary, and make us laugh. In the meantime, they are acting with all kinds of Hollywood stars and drinking beer on the side.

Return to “Season 5”