Episode 103 - THE ARTIST

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 103 - THE ARTIST

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:56 pm

Date:October 7, 1962

Summary: Ben meets a blind artist, Matthew Raine, and persuades him to start painting.

Written by: Frank Chase
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Matthew Raine...Dan O' Herlihy Ann Loring...Virginia Grey Gavin...Arch Johnson Stevens...William Keene Buyer...S. John Launer Bartender...Ralph Montgomery Jim...Frank Chase Bob Miles...(uncredited stunt double) Bill Clark...(uncredited stunt double)

Slideshow courtesy of Calamity

Drifter
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Ponderosa Prospects
1,000 Posts 100 Posts Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Re: Episode 103 - THE ARTIST

Post by Drifter » Thu May 09, 2019 5:47 pm

I watched this episode the other day, and I ended up making a few comparisons to the Mill. No, everyone isn’t involved this time, but you do have a man in need of help, a corrupt hired hand, and a damsel in distress. My other thought while watching this was perhaps Claude Akins wasn’t available. I found myself imagining how he would’ve played this role. Then again, I think it would’ve been too obvious in a similar role he’d be nothing but trouble. Arch Johnson wasn’t as passive aggressive, but he got the point across that he was dissatisfied. I think his coming onto Ann was a bit too forced, imo, but there had to be more drama. A solid episode for Ben, as I can’t imagine anyone else being able to reach Matthew the way he had.

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 132
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Fun With Captions Level 3 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Thu May 09, 2019 7:43 pm

I liked this episode, though I have heard it is not a popular one. It's questionable why Ben, once again, extended himself to help a complete stranger. Would a blind person ask to be hit? I think if the time period is considered (when a man's social standing with other men was measured by his physical ability), it is a plausible story. Probably what appealed to me was the transition the artist made from visual art to the written word. I have known many individuals who, because of physical deterioration or loss of function, chose to transition from one form of activity to another, rather than just languish. I believe that is the most compelling part of the episode. Of course, ML made this a major theme in LHOTP with Mary, who lost her eyesight.
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:56 am

I can understand Ben becoming a friend to a blind man but I didn't like the fight scene at the beginning. I have known several blind people during my life and none of them were confrontational. The real Mary Ingalls really did go blind but didn't marry as Michael had her marry on the show. Later in life, Carrie also went blind! :shrug

Return to “Season 4”