Episode 27 - THE LAST TROPHY

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 27 - THE LAST TROPHY

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Date: March 26, 1960

Summary: : Lord Marion and Lady Beatrice Dunsford, friends of Ben, come for a visit. Adam takes them on a hunting trip, where they are nabbed by a crude gang of ruffians.

Written by: Bill S. Ballinger
Directed by: Lewis Allen
Guest Stars: Lady Beatrice Dunsford...Hazel Court Lord Marion Dunsford...Edward Ashley Simon Belcher...Bert Freed Whitey...Ken Mayer Touma...Naomi Stevens Cavanaugh...Don Hix Cavanaugh's Grandson...Jimmy Carter.

gif slideshow courtesy of Gillie

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Re: Episode 27 - THE LAST TROPHY

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:13 am

I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion on this episode yet! It's such an odd, complicated story.

Belcher is such a wonderfully despicable villain. He mistreats Indians, mistreats women, mistreats polite Englishmen, mistreats Cartwrights...it's hard to find a more unpleasant fellow around. I can't even believe Beatrice comparing him favorably with her husband. *shudder*

Marion is a great character and one of my more favorite guest stars. In his short amount of screen time, he actually wins my sympathy and has me rooting for him. I like seeing him and Adam talking, plotting, and fighting alongside one another. Adam is normally the most cultured person on the screen, so it's fun to see him next to Marion, looking rough and tough by comparison.

Also, this is one of the instances in which a Cartwright gets injured for a really good and useful reason. They would never have been able to pull off Belcher holding them all hostage and treating Beatrice so disrespectfully with an able-bodied Cartwright hanging around.
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:05 am

I've watched this episode recently. To my surprise my youngest grandson noticed the 'big cat' requiring me to rerun the actual hunting scene for him several times. I've no idea why he is so fascinated by it. I don't mind because I get another look at Adam for a short moment. :grin

I was thinking the other day there are several dicey scenes in this episode for '50's television. Marion's wife was nothing if not an opportunist. It was awkward to say the least.

Belcher's behavior really was quite scandalous. He did mistreat everyone as mentioned which made it agreeably creepy to watch Beatrice interact with him. Altogether it was a complicated situation - the personal undertone of the plot vs the problem of being captured by Belcher and his men was a lively mix of drama. It was certainly a good thing Hoss and Joe came to everyone's rescue. (I still flinch when Adam takes the arrow in the arm.) :scared3

I also liked Marion a lot. It looked like Adam did as well. The two men seemed to understand each other. Beatrice's behavior notwithstanding there seemed to be no friction between them. It was a good episode overall.

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:35 am

Beatrice kissing Adam - ugh. Adam seems to be hypnotized when inappropriate women lean in to kiss him.

Over and over I watch the scene where Adam gets shot by the arrow to see how they did it. There MUST be some kind of guide wire, right? But I don't see it. Pretty good effect for a pre-CGI show.
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
Sharry
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Sharry
Drover
Drover

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:40 am

ellen wrote:Beatrice kissing Adam - ugh. Adam seems to be hypnotized when inappropriate women lean in to kiss him.

Over and over I watch the scene where Adam gets shot by the arrow to see how they did it. There MUST be some kind of guide wire, right? But I don't see it. Pretty good effect for a pre-CGI show.
I've wondered how they did that also although I can't say I've studied it. I thought it was a good effect for its time. It looked good on the television set when it happened which made it appear believable.

And yes - Adam has some sort of inappropriate woman magnate attached to him somewhere. So many times I wanted to yell at him - "push them away for God's sake!" It's like he calls their bluff until the last moment which is a frustrating thing for an Adam girl to watch. :mad

Tahoe Lee
Drover
Drover
Badges: 51

BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Photographer Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Hidden Treasures
Guest Star Bio Guest Star POD Reader's Choice Level 4 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by Tahoe Lee » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:29 pm

PR was fantastic at getting hurt. Look at any episode. When he gets hurt...he makes it look so real!! An awesome actor in every way!
:bravo
These users thanked the author Tahoe Lee for the post:
Sharry
"You're a good man, Adam." *Toy Soldier*

Sharry
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Tahoe Lee wrote:PR was fantastic at getting hurt. Look at any episode. When he gets hurt...he makes it look so real!! An awesome actor in every way!
Oh man - you do realize I must research that now, right? Such a burden... I'll report back at some point. :adam :thumbup

Tahoe Lee
Drover
Drover
Badges: 51

BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Photographer Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Hidden Treasures
Guest Star Bio Guest Star POD Reader's Choice Level 4 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by Tahoe Lee » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Sharry wrote:
Tahoe Lee wrote:PR was fantastic at getting hurt. Look at any episode. When he gets hurt...he makes it look so real!! An awesome actor in every way!
Oh man - you do realize I must research that now, right? Such a burden... I'll report back at some point. :adam :thumbup
Just start with the very first episode Rose for Lotta ...Hoss pushes Adam into the grandfather clock. Watch how he gets up. Pa asks him if he's alright. He doesn't ask little Joe even though Hoss has pushed Joe and the chair into the floor. :laughing
These users thanked the author Tahoe Lee for the post:
Sharry
"You're a good man, Adam." *Toy Soldier*

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 66

BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019 BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day
BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Belcher was thoroughly disgusting and boorish in every way. No wonder he made a cultured man like Marion, who also had a name he found odd, a target of his scorn. Adam certainly stepped into that situation smoothly. Beatrice had lost respect for her husband over his loss of nerve, which at least somewhat explains why she came on to Adam the way she did. Granted, he didn't seem to know quite how to react at first (and I've always suspected that Pa had a little chat with Adam, that we didn't get to see, about what he and Marion had observed). Marion's own reaction seemed to indicate that Beatrice's behavior didn't surprise him, and he didn't appear to hold it against Adam. When Beatrice came to Adam at night and tried to get close to him Adam did put her in her place rather effectively. That scene where Adam takes an arrow in the arm always makes me flinch too (OUCH!), and I'd like to know the details of how that was done. In the end Adam (even wounded as he was) and Marion make an effective team, and the timely arrival of Hoss and Joe saves the day. Marion and Beatrice seem to be good together, but I've often wondered how long that lasted. Not one of my favorite episodes, but it does have some interesting aspects.

debpet2 :adam
These users thanked the author debpet2 for the post:
Sharry

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:28 am

debpet2 wrote:Adam did put her in her place rather effectively.
He does it really well when he wants to. That first incident was... :duh
But after that he really put her in her place and did not allow her to cross the line.
debpet2 wrote:Marion and Beatrice seem to be good together, but I've often wondered how long that lasted.
Yes. I agree. I hope for his sake permanently, but I don't trust her.
These users thanked the author PlatoofthePonderosa for the post:
debpet2
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Return to “Season 1”