Episode 430 - THE HUNTER

Bonanza Season 14 Episodes
Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 327
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe

Forum Moderator Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Out Of The Blue
Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Reader's Choice Level 1 Christmas 2018 Fun With Captions Level 2

View all badges

Re: Episode 430 - THE HUNTER

Post by Tracy » Fri May 13, 2016 3:48 pm

ellie wrote:Am watching this episode now - about half-way through. I think, theme-wise, it bears a remarkable resemblance to The Crucible. A deranged man trying to kill a Cartwright to prove a point about human nature.

Side-note: Tom Skerritt is MUCH better looking today that he was in that episode. :grin
Ellie, I hope you'll elaborate once you've seen the entire episode. Tom Skerritt is a very handsome man, especially in his later years, IMO.

showdown
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 13
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Time For A Commercial Break 3 The Reading Club September Song 2017 Readin', Writin' ...
Hidden Treasures Snail BINGO Quotes Stepping Up 2017 100 Posts
PODs The Reading Club Halloween Tales 2016 September Song 2016
School Daze

View all badges

Post by showdown » Fri May 13, 2016 4:36 pm

It was oppressive to watch that episode, knowing it was the last one and concerned about Little Joe. The takes of the episode, especially the flight, are more likely to make you think of a movie than of a TV-series. It´s a typical 1970s style - long camera shots and not too many words.
Of course not the suitabe ending of such a famous and successful TV-Show. As if they had thrown away a useless thing, without any respect for the actors and, above all, the audience. I wonder how could it happen. :mad

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 167
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Cinco de mayo 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Challenge Games Edition

View all badges

Post by ellie » Fri May 13, 2016 5:24 pm

Tracy wrote:
ellie wrote:Am watching this episode now - about half-way through. I think, theme-wise, it bears a remarkable resemblance to The Crucible. A deranged man trying to kill a Cartwright to prove a point about human nature.
Ellie, I hope you'll elaborate once you've seen the entire episode.
I'm not sure that I can explain it any better. Adam was alone in the desert with Kane. Kane was mentally unstable. Adam was brought to the brink but didn't "go over the edge." In the end, Kane was dead. Joe was alone with a deranged Tanner who had claimed that Joe would kill him. In the end, Tanner was dead but not directly by Joe's hand. (Had Joe NOT passed out, Tanner may not have died).
These users thanked the author ellie for the post:
Tracy

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Fri May 13, 2016 6:23 pm

I always thought The Hunter was one of the best episodes they produced. I had forgotten over the years it was also the last one aired.

The episode reminded me of Bushwhacked in a few ways. Joe had to run for his life while being shot at all over again. He knew who was pursuing him in The Hunter, but he didn't understand his motivation.

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Fri May 13, 2016 7:36 pm

Adamant wrote:This is "The Most Dangerous Game" done Bonanza style.
It's what makes it one of my favorite Joe episodes.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

A_Starry_Night
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Candy

Post by A_Starry_Night » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:15 am

The Most Dangerous Game has been one of my favorite stories since sixth grade, and I love The Hunter because of the similarities, too. I've always wondered if Michael Landon had drawn his inspiration for the episode from the short story but I don't suppose he ever stated whether or not he had.

I especially love how Joe finally defeats Tanner by tricking him into that building and it's Tanner's own panic that kills him in the end. He doesn't resort to murder even though he'd been pushed past both physical and mental endurance, and that says a lot about his character. It also shows how downright sneaky and careful Joe can be. He's so well known as the hotblooded Cartwright, the one to leap before he thinks, but when he needs to be he's going to wait for the opportune moment or let the bad guys work themselves up into a fury (like in the episode The Prisoners when he simply drinks his coffee while Simmons shouts at him for Joe to pay attention to him.)

I can see the similarities of Adam's and Joe's plights. Different circumstances and different types of a villain but they both were challenged by crazy men that anyone is capable of murder given the right motives. Psychological warfare and terror, and both Adam and Joe probably bore their mental scars from the experiences but luckily neither of our boys were pushed so far as murder.

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 327
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe

Forum Moderator Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Out Of The Blue
Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Reader's Choice Level 1 Christmas 2018 Fun With Captions Level 2

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:04 am

No matter how you feel about this episodes as far as its "thrill" factor, which is very good, IMO, it still wasn't the right way to end a 14 season run. Shame on the powers-that-were for doing that to the fans.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:22 am

I can still remember the shock of Dan dying so suddenly. I was in my teens at that time. I think everyone, especially on Bonanza, knew it was at it's end. Nobody could replace Hoss. It was Michael's idea to do The Hunter as the last show. As much as I liked the episode, I was so sad to see the show end. If only it could have had a happier ending.

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All

Post by Dagburnit » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:37 pm

Please see my comments in the general discussion of how this episode was replayed on the series Hart to Hart in 1982. Not only did Jonathan Hart and Ben Cartwright share much in common, but so did Lorne Greene and Robert Wagner.

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 173
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 2 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:55 pm

One thing that was well-done in this episode, in my opinion, was the creepy whistling. We've seen it before in Bonanza (The Thunder Man), but this episode took it to a whole new level. What especially struck me was the spot when a scene ends with Tanner's creepy whistling, then a new scene starts with someone whistling---but this whistler isn't Tanner, it's Joe!
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Return to “Season 14”