Episode 424 - THE HIDDEN ENEMY

Bonanza Season 14 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 424 - THE HIDDEN ENEMY

Post by Episode Guide » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:32 am

Date: November 21, 1972

Summary: A gifted doctor addicted to morphine brings new treatments and procedures to Virginia City.

Written by: Stanley Roberts and Jack B. Sowards
Directed by: Alf Kjellin
Guest Stars: Mike Farrell (Dr. Willis Agar), Gary Busey (Henry Johnson), David Huddleston (Myles Johnson), Melissa Murphy (Nancy Agar), Mons Kjellin (Chris Agar), Melissa Murphy (Nancy Agar), Bing Russell (Deputy Clem Foster), Ayun Ruymen (Evie Parker), Russel Thorson (Judge Phelps), Jason Wingreen (Graham)

Image courtesy of Tracy and Bonanza Boomers gallery.

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Re: Episode 424 - THE HIDDEN ENEMY

Post by snapdragon » Sat May 07, 2016 3:41 pm

Great episode. Farrell was very good and the ending was surprising. Since this deals with drug addiction I wonder how shocking this was to audiences at the time. Seems that BZ and probably other shows at the time were really pushing the envelope.

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 167
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Cinco de mayo 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Challenge Games Edition

View all badges

Post by ellie » Sat May 07, 2016 7:39 pm

I thought that LHOTP dealing with drug addiction was ahead of its time ... and I think that was 10 years later.
Bonanza dealt with some heavy issues.

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Post by snapdragon » Sun May 08, 2016 12:41 pm

ellie wrote:I thought that LHOTP dealing with drug addiction was ahead of its time ... and I think that was 10 years later.
Bonanza dealt with some heavy issues.
Yes, I remember the LHOTP episode where Albert was dealing with drug addiction and withdrawal symptoms. That episode is burned into my head because it was pretty traumatic. That's why I thought this episode with the overdose ending must've been pretty heavy stuff for family audiences at the time.

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Sun May 08, 2016 12:50 pm

I remember this episode. It was way ahead of its time in some ways, although if you remember the '60's (I do) you know drugs and addiction were actually in the headlines a lot.

Less known about the issue in general, of course, but it was perceived by many even at that time as something new and peculiar to that era vs something that has always existed. The statistics and percentages are always fluctuating, but it's an issue that has been around for centuries. I'm not familiar with the LHOTP episode that is mentioned, but I've no doubt ML did a good job with it. :thumbup

Return to “Season 14”