Episode 423 - STALLION

Bonanza Season 14 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 423 - STALLION

Post by Episode Guide » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:32 am

Date: November 14, 1972

Summary: The stallion Joe receives for his birthday is sacrificed to save the life of the one who steals it.

Written by: Juanita Bartlett (story), Jack B. Sowards (teleplay), Mort Zarcoff (story)
Directed by: E.W. Swackhamer
Guest Stars: Clu Gulager (Billy Brenner), Mitzi Hoag (Alice Brenner), Vincent Van Patten (Tommy Brenner), Michael Greene (Travis), Roy Le Brown (Seth), Wallace Chadwell (Travis)

Image courtesy of Tracy and Bonanza Boomers gallery.

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Re: Episode 423 - STALLION

Post by snapdragon » Sun May 08, 2016 12:57 pm

Another really good episode here. The scene at the beginning where Joe and the stallion challenge the train to a race was pretty exciting stuff. :thumbup Again, pretty much everything about this episode screams LHOTP to me: the camera angles and especially the music. In fact, the whole scene where Joe and the stallion are struggling up the ridge made me forget I was watching BZ and not LHOTP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ROCghTr8E8&t=33m50s

Very sad when the stallion died. :sob I love that Little Joe (are we still calling him Little Joe at this point? :grin ) refused to forgive Brenner for what he'd done. More of that emotional honesty from ML that I admire. But Joe still showed Brenner mercy by not having Brenner jailed, and therefore not taking him away from his son who needed him.

btw, the BZ theme used for this last season is by far the worst of the bunch. I can't stand listening to it and FF through it. Awful, awful. :puke

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 178
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:31 pm

snapdragon wrote:pretty much everything about this episode screams LHOTP to me: the camera angles and especially the music. In fact, the whole scene where Joe and the stallion are struggling up the ridge made me forget I was watching BZ and not LHOTP
I thought that too from the minute that scene began...David Rose certainly recycled his themes! :grin

ML did such a wonderful, wonderful job with this episode. His joy at getting the stallion was so contagious that I realized halfway through the episode I'd been sitting there watching it with a huge smile on my face. Then his grief at losing the stallion was heartbreaking. :sob I liked how kind he was to the boy he met on the road, even when he was chasing the man who stole his horse.

On a side note, did anyone else notice the man on the train wearing a green jacket identical to Joe's (about 8 or 9 minutes into the episode, I believe)?
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:01 pm

I never notice anyone else when Michael is on! I did read that the train conductor was a friend of Michaels who always wanted to be a conductor, He was hired to do just that. This episode just tugs at the heartstrings, beginning to end. I love when Joe races the stallion against the train. I always cry at the end when the stallion dies.

Return to “Season 14”