Episode 362 - THE NIGHT VIRGINIA CITY DIED

Bonanza Season 12 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 362 - THE NIGHT VIRGINIA CITY DIED

Post by Episode Guide » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:48 pm

Date: September 13, 1970

Summary: An arsonist threatens to destroy Virginia City as Clem and his fiance make wedding plans.

NOTE: This episode was the first to be filmed at Warner Bros. studios in Burbank, Calif., after 11 years of being filmed on the Paramount lot. Both the Virginia City and Ponderosa sets were very different from their familiar Paramount versions.

Written by: John Hawkins
Directed by: William Wiard
Guest Stars: Bing Russell (Deputy Clem Foster), Ray Teal (Sheriff Roy Coffee), Angel Thompkins (Janie Lund), Mona Bruns (Mrs. Carter)

Image courtesy of Tracy and Bonanza Boomers Gallery

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 332
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 362 - THE NIGHT VIRGINIA CITY DIED

Post by Tracy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:03 pm

This is an intense episode. It forever changed the streets of Virginia City for the "residents" and the fans, alike.

We finally see a love interest for Clem, and look what happens!

Interesting:
Hoss refers to Hop Sing as a "pot jockey" in this episode. And Bing Russell and Ray Teal are listed as "special guest stars" in the opening credits.

Virginia City has at least 1,200 citizens (they had 1,200 signatures on a petition to remove Roy and Clem).

The music playing at the end - when Ben goes to see Clem - is very, very "star Trek-like."

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:45 pm

This is one that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Sadly, Hoss is down with a hurt foot but it is amusing to watch the interaction between him and Hop Sing. As ML was tired of falling in love every week, Clem got the honors. As Tracy already pointed out, it was long overdue.

The actually burned the old set :fire making for some very realistic television during an era of cardboard monsters and plastic rocks. The burning was a way to disguise the move from Paramount Studios to Warner Brothers Studios.

I like seeing both Roy and Clem working together - something not often seen. :roy
These users thanked the author Calamity for the post:
dreamie
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:03 pm

It was great to see a love interest for Clem, even though she certainly had some problems. Flashbacks show what had happened in her life to cause her love of fire. Poor Joe must have been exhausted running from one end of town to the other to help fight the fires.

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:51 am

Calamity wrote: I like seeing both Roy and Clem working together - something not often seen. :roy
They were together in only 3 episodes:
Season 5 - Rain From Heaven
Season 12 - The Luck Of Pepper Shannon
Season 12 - The Night Virginia City Died

I did not like the weirdness of the flashbacks, or maybe it was the actress. I liked seeing Clem in a featured role, though.
These users thanked the author ellen for the post (total 2):
Calamitydreamie
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 169
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018
Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Cinco de mayo 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1

View all badges

Post by ellie » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:37 pm

ellen wrote:I did not like the weirdness of the flashbacks, or maybe it was the actress.
The flashbacks told us why fire made the character feel safe and/or happy.
ellen wrote:I liked seeing Clem in a featured role, though.
Too bad Clem also suffered from the "Cartwright curse." :laughing

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Mon May 01, 2017 6:12 am

This is the first time, I believe, that Bing Russell (Clem) and Ray Teal (Roy Coffee) were listed in the opening credits of the episode as "guest stars."

It is also Lou Frizzell's second appearance on Bonanza (having first appeared in season 11's The Horse Traders) of nine as Dusty Rhodes. I do wish they'd kept his character permanently. I enjoyed him as Dusty.

And we meet yet another actor playing Doctor Martin (Paul Kent).

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Mon May 01, 2017 11:41 am

Ray Teal also had guest billing in "No Less A Man" from Season 5. I'm not sure if he or Bing Russell got guest billing on any other episodes.

Ray Teal and Bing Russell only appeared in 3 episodes together:
Season 5 - Rain From Heaven
Season 12 - The Luck Of Pepper Shannon
Season 12 - The Night Virginia City Died
Tracy wrote: It is also Lou Frizzell's second appearance on Bonanza (having first appeared in season 11's The Horse Traders) of nine as Dusty Rhodes. I do wish they'd kept his character permanently. I enjoyed him as Dusty.
I really liked Dusty too - I'm glad they brought him back for the introduction of Jamie.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 179
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Fun With Captions Level 2 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 pm

In my opinion, this is one of the creepiest Bonanza episodes. Evil Bonanza characters are one thing; insane Bonanza characters are another. Those scenes with Janie looking at the flames and smiling are just terrifying! The fact that the viewer knows who the arsonist is nearly the whole time, while the Cartwrights don't, makes it so much scarier.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Poor, poor Clem. He finally gets more screen time and . . . Poor Clem.

Return to “Season 12”