Episode 361 - A MATTER OF CIRCUMSTANCE

Bonanza Season 11 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 361 - A MATTER OF CIRCUMSTANCE

Post by Episode Guide » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:47 pm

Date: April 19, 1970

Summary: Joe is injured by a horse that is frightened by a thunderstorm. He is alone on the Ponderosa and struggles to stay conscious and care for his injuries. Convinced that his arm has become gangrenous, Joe decides he must amputate his arm in order to survive.

Written by: B. W. Sandefur
Directed by: William F. Claxton
Guest Stars: Ted Gehring (Griffin); Vincent Van Patten (Tim); Harry Holcombe (Doctor)

Image courtesy of Tracy and Bonanza Boomers Gallery

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 62
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3
Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1 Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018
Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018

View all badges

Re: Episode 361 - A MATTER OF CIRCUMSTANCE

Post by Sharry » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:58 pm

This episode was one that had me hiding behind my hands when I saw the original airing years ago and stayed with me in my memories. I don't know if I thought Joe was actually going to amputate any part his arm, but I was convinced enough to keep watching. I've watched it only once or twice since and still find myself flinching at various aspects throughout the episode. Yes, that one really got to me.

Imagine Ben and Hoss coming home and finding him after he managed some sort of actual amputation. Holy $@(^... :thud
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
Fanofoldtvshows

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:21 am

I was still very young the first time I saw it, so I also had to hide behind my hands. In fact I still do-I can feel Joe's pain! He sure does suffer greatly and does it so realistically! I wish they would release all of the seasons so I can hear the scream that was taken out because it was too realistic.
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
Sharry

Sierra Girl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32

Countdown to 1,111,111 Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts
1,000 Posts Boomers Million PODs FanFic Writer Badge
Fan Fic Fun Don't Blink BINGO Snail BINGO Search
BINGO Special Guess The Episode Cartsmurf Hidden Treasures September Song 2015

View all badges

Post by Sierra Girl » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:31 am

That is one of the two episodes which really stuck with me that I remember watching as a kid (the other being Bushwhacked - do you notice a theme here...). I was always rather freaked out by his giant swollen hand. I've not heard about the scream though... I'd love to know more.

When you watch the later episodes the thing that really stands out is how different the style is - such as the direction and the camera effects. I definitely prefer the 'simpler' look of the earlier episodes.
These users thanked the author Sierra Girl for the post:
Sharry

Bejules
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Badges: 430
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Global Moderator Christmas Card Team Reader's Choice Level 6 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Halloween ART 2019 Reader's Choice Level 5
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019

View all badges

Post by Bejules » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:40 am

From what I've read and if my memory serves me correctly I believe the scream that was taken out was when Joe got trampled by the horses in the barn. Mike's performance all through that episode was outstanding and you can feel his pain! You can imagine Mike gave his all when he had to react to being trampled and the PTB decided that his scream was just too realistic for the audience to take!
These users thanked the author Bejules for the post (total 2):
SharrySierra Girl
:bejules Proud Member of BHA

"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."

Sharry
Drover
Drover

Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3
Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:31 am

Bejules wrote:From what I've read and if my memory serves me correctly I believe the scream that was taken out was when Joe got trampled by the horses in the barn. Mike's performance all through that episode was outstanding and you can feel his pain! You can imagine Mike gave his all when he had to react to being trampled and the PTB decided that his scream was just too realistic for the audience to take!
That's interesting - I didn't know that either. In view of how 'disturbing' the version was that was kept in perhaps they were right, but I confess I'd love to hear the original. ML was really good at conveying feelings, and that whole episode was just wracked with pain as it was. Yikes.

Sierra Girl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32

Countdown to 1,111,111 Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts
1,000 Posts Boomers Million PODs FanFic Writer Badge
Fan Fic Fun Don't Blink BINGO Snail BINGO Search
BINGO Special Guess The Episode Cartsmurf Hidden Treasures September Song 2015

View all badges

Post by Sierra Girl » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:22 pm

Bejules wrote:From what I've read and if my memory serves me correctly I believe the scream that was taken out was when Joe got trampled by the horses in the barn.
Thanks Bejules, that was really interesting. And like Sharry I'd love to see/hear the original version.

Sharry
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:48 pm

Watching this episode again this evening - still chilling. One of the most dramatic productions Bonanza, and Michael Landon, ever did.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 153
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 NaNoWriMo 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:22 pm

It's too bad they didn't leave the scream in. I'd read somewhere, too, that it was taken out, but it's too bad it was taken out.
It's become sort of joke in my family, though. Whenever I mention that episode, and start re-telling it to my mom, and brothers, I always wind up saying at the end, "Well, I guess now you can say that keeping that ranch nearly cost :joe an arm... and a leg!" :lol :rotfl :ha
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:04 pm

Bejules wrote:From what I've read and if my memory serves me correctly I believe the scream that was taken out was when Joe got trampled by the horses in the barn. Mike's performance all through that episode was outstanding and you can feel his pain! You can imagine Mike gave his all when he had to react to being trampled and the PTB decided that his scream was just too realistic for the audience to take!
That's interesting. I've watched this episode a few times and noticed that ML's mouth had opened to scream when the horse stomped on his leg but I always wondered why I never heard anything? :think

Can the original scream be heard on the DVDs? Or anywhere?

Return to “Season 11”