Episode 343 - A DARKER SHADOW

Bonanza Season 11 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 343 - A DARKER SHADOW

Post by Episode Guide » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:30 pm

Date: November 23, 1969

Summary: Life is good for Wade Turner. He has been promoted at the bank and he and Sarah are making plans to get married. Abruptly, and seemingly without reason, Wade cancels the wedding plans, steals $5000 from the bank and leaves town. Joe wants to help his friend and sets out after him.

Written by: John Hawkins (Teleplay) B.W. Sandefur, Jonathan Knopf (Story)
Directed by: Don Richardson
Guest Stars: Gregory Walcott (Wade Turner); Sandra Smith (Sarah); Dabney Coleman (Clyde)

Image courtesy of Tracy and Bonanza Boomers Gallery

Oxgirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 10
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

September Song 2021 Don't Blink 1,000 Posts Group Member
Christmas 2020 Escape To Ponderosa PODs 100 Posts
September Song 2020 New Member Post

View all badges

Re: Episode 343 - A DARKER SHADOW

Post by Oxgirl » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:24 pm

I really like this ep, watched it again the other day. I like Sarah (she swapped bodies with Captain Kirk, I remember!), she does a good job as the hurt, jilted fiance. I think it's a good story, not sure about brain surgery at that time though! It always irks me that at the end, even though he is practically blind, the guy still has to drive the buggy! :lol

Partisan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Partisan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:04 am

Oxgirl wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:24 pm
I really like this ep, watched it again the other day. I like Sarah (she swapped bodies with Captain Kirk, I remember!), she does a good job as the hurt, jilted fiance. I think it's a good story, not sure about brain surgery at that time though! It always irks me that at the end, even though he is practically blind, the guy still has to drive the buggy! :lol
The bit when Joe snapped at him towards the end. When I first saw it, I thought, "How cruel!" And his friend managed to get a dig at him later when he said, "Unless you're feeling sorry for yourself?" But when Joe walked off, he wasn't going to leave him, was he? Why do you think he came back? More to the point, why did he walk off in the first place?
"OH, YOU THREE HUNDRED POUND ROBIN!" Joe to Hoss - "The Ponderosa Birdman".

daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 193
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Talk Like A Pirate 2021 David Canary Birthday 2021 Game Night 2021 Level 3 Game Night 14 Level 2
Game Night 2021 Level 1 Stepping Into Character Tried and True Fun With Captions Level 2
BINGO Participant Summer 2021 BINGO Winner Summer 2021 BINGO Gutterball Summer 2021 Oscar Chat 2021
25,000 Posts St Patrick's Day Limerick 2021 13th Anniversary Organizing Secrets

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:15 am

This is another really good episode. Joe was trying to be a friend, Wade but Wade had a lot of self-pity. The ending where Joe walked away from Wade [ but was actually near by] shows Joe really was a true friend. It surprised me the first time I saw this also but Joe wanted Wade to admit he needed help. :thumbup :joe
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
Oxgirl

Oxgirl
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:13 pm

Partisan wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:04 am
Oxgirl wrote:
The bit when Joe snapped at him towards the end. When I first saw it, I thought, "How cruel!" And his friend managed to get a dig at him later when he said, "Unless you're feeling sorry for yourself?" But when Joe walked off, he wasn't going to leave him, was he? Why do you think he came back? More to the point, why did he walk off in the first place?
Yes, he was a bit harsh with him, wasn't he and I always think of this when he's feeling sorry for himself in Stillness Within! :laughing I guess he walked away because he wanted his friend to want him to help him, so by walking away it gave him the opportunity to know that he wanted help. :thumbup

Partisan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

View all badges

Post by Partisan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Oxgirl wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:13 pm
Partisan wrote:
Oxgirl wrote:
Yes, he was a bit harsh with him, wasn't he and I always think of this when he's feeling sorry for himself in Stillness Within! :laughing I guess he walked away because he wanted his friend to want him to help him, so by walking away it gave him the opportunity to know that he wanted help. :thumbup
I remember a few times when he said, "Stop feeling sorry for yourself." Once with that guy in the Pony Express who lost his father and began drinking and another time with Maggie in that one where she felt she was really plain and he pretended to be courting her to get the other guy jealous. I thought that last one was quite cruel, if I'd been her I'd have felt like bopping him on the head. She wasn't plain anyway. The first time I saw Darker Shadow I thought, "He's not going to leave him there, is he? He's blind!" And when I heard his voice, "I'm here," I was relieved. I didn't believe he'd just go and not come back. :joe

Oxgirl
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:18 am

Partisan wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 pm
Oxgirl wrote:
Partisan wrote:

I remember a few times when he said, "Stop feeling sorry for yourself." Once with that guy in the Pony Express who lost his father and began drinking and another time with Maggie in that one where she felt she was really plain and he pretended to be courting her to get the other guy jealous. I thought that last one was quite cruel, if I'd been her I'd have felt like bopping him on the head. She wasn't plain anyway. The first time I saw Darker Shadow I thought, "He's not going to leave him there, is he? He's blind!" And when I heard his voice, "I'm here," I was relieved. I didn't believe he'd just go and not come back. :joe
Yeah, that was The Bridegroom, I love that ep it always makes me cry. I hate it when he says "You can be pretty, but you have to try" ..... huh?! :shrug
These users thanked the author Oxgirl for the post:
Partisan

daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 193
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Talk Like A Pirate 2021 David Canary Birthday 2021 Game Night 2021 Level 3 Game Night 14 Level 2
Game Night 2021 Level 1 Stepping Into Character Tried and True Fun With Captions Level 2
BINGO Participant Summer 2021 BINGO Winner Summer 2021 BINGO Gutterball Summer 2021 Oscar Chat 2021
25,000 Posts St Patrick's Day Limerick 2021 13th Anniversary Organizing Secrets

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:25 am

Yeah, I didn't like that line either. He sounds just like a man! :laughing
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
Oxgirl

Partisan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

View all badges

Post by Partisan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:48 am

Oxgirl wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:18 am
Partisan wrote:
Oxgirl wrote:

Yeah, that was The Bridegroom, I love that ep it always makes me cry. I hate it when he says "You can be pretty, but you have to try" ..... huh?! :shrug
Tbh, that bit annoyed me. Maggie had had years of living with that awful father of hers, demeaning her and making her feel like she was second best. She'd never been treasured or petted or made to feel good about herself. Little Joe cannot even conceive the unhappiness she's gone through, because he's always been attractive and popular and cherished by his family. He'd been taught to have self-confidence whereas she'd been taught to think of herself as plain and no good. I'd have pointed that out to him, (after bopping him on the head lol). It's one of his faults that he sometimes lacks understanding and is quick to judge. You know how I feel about him - I know he doesn't do it out of malice - he hasn't any malice in him. But it does make me want to shake him sometimes!

Oxgirl
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:38 am

Partisan wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:48 am
Oxgirl wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:18 am
Partisan wrote:

Tbh, that bit annoyed me. Maggie had had years of living with that awful father of hers, demeaning her and making her feel like she was second best. She'd never been treasured or petted or made to feel good about herself. Little Joe cannot even conceive the unhappiness she's gone through, because he's always been attractive and popular and cherished by his family. He'd been taught to have self-confidence whereas she'd been taught to think of herself as plain and no good. I'd have pointed that out to him, (after bopping him on the head lol). It's one of his faults that he sometimes lacks understanding and is quick to judge. You know how I feel about him - I know he doesn't do it out of malice - he hasn't any malice in him. But it does make me want to shake him sometimes!
Yeah, I totally agree with you. It's so moving when she bursts into tears and she tells him, "Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and be pretty". He has no conception of the knocks to her confidence she's had to endure continually through the years. :no
These users thanked the author Oxgirl for the post:
Partisan

Return to “Season 11”