Episode 345 - OLD FRIENDS

Bonanza Season 11 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 345 - OLD FRIENDS

Post by Episode Guide » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:32 pm

Date: December 14, 1969

Summary: Ben’s old friend, Jess Waddell, is a bounty hunter in hot pursuit of another old friend, Charlie Sheppard. Ben’s attempt to keep Jess from killing Charlie intensifies when Hoss is taken hostage.

Written by: Barney Slater
Directed by: Leon Benson
Guest Stars: Robert J. Wilke (Charlie Sheppard); Morgan Woodward (Jess Waddell); Rick Lamson (Morgan Sheppard)

Image courtesy of Tracy and Bonanza Boomers Gallery

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Re: Episode 345 - OLD FRIENDS

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:57 pm

The only thing I must comment on here is LG's weight loss. I was so used to seeing a beefier Ben that when I saw him in this episode it was startling how much thinner he was. :ohmy You can definitely see the weight loss in his face, along the jowl line. Does anybody know the backstory about this? Was LG recovering from an illness or did he just go on a crash diet?

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 133
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Good Housekeeping 2020 July 4 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020
Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020
WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Christmas Baubles 2019 Christmas Card Team
Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019 Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by ellen » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:37 am

snapdragon wrote:The only thing I must comment on here is LG's weight loss. I was so used to seeing a beefier Ben that when I saw him in this episode it was startling how much thinner he was. :ohmy You can definitely see the weight loss in his face, along the jowl line. Does anybody know the backstory about this? Was LG recovering from an illness or did he just go on a crash diet?
I remember reading that he went on a rice diet to lose weight, so I googled it and found this article that mentions it:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 9460&hl=en

It says he lost 30 pounds (13.6 kg)
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
snapdragon
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Janet the Wicked
Drover
Drover
Badges: 21
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Break The Record eff 2018 September Song 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020
July 4 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
1,000 Posts Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020
WAT 9 10th Anniversary Letter W Step up to 2020 Don't Blink

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:49 pm

I don't like to see him that thin. He does not look healthy.
Is that all you can think about at a time like this, cake???

Touch nothing!

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 170
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Game Night 2020 Level 3 Game Night 2020 Level 2 Game Night 2020 Level 1 Talk Like A Pirate 2020
Capt Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020 July 4 2020 BINGO Participant Summer 2020
BINGO Snail Summer 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020 20,000 Posts Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant Valentine's Day 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse!

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:14 am

I remember Lorne had lost some weight but I didn't know about the rice diet. Being diabetic I know a meal of just rice isn't healthy. Protein is needed, along with fruit and veggies. Losing weight is great as long as you feel good and have energy, which he seemed to have. Thanks for sharing the article, Ellen! :ben

littlejulie
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

100 Posts September Song 2020

View all badges

Post by littlejulie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:51 pm

During Bonanza's middle seasons LG was known to wear a girdle underneath his costume Later after the Greene's daughter Gillian was born LG commented on a tv talk show that he wanted to look more verticle on screen and proceeded with following the fad rice diet In those days before liposuction and gastric bypass the only choices to lose weight were diets or like Phyllis Diller had done a full "body lift" On the Bz set LG had competition from two young, thin actors ML and DC I would hope that LG being the father of a baby girl prompted him to "get healthier" for her rather than something more cosmetic and ego driven Unfortunately LG just seemed to look much older than his years I thought at the time he was like 70 instead of 50 odd yrs old

I like this ep alot and have seen it repeated from time to time
I like the Hoss theme at the beginning of the ep where H is seen riding down hill to assist Charley Sheppard and his young son after Sheppard had been shot by the bounty hunter
Later in the ep when the three of them are at the line shack H tells Charley "there's 3 of us" when asked how many sons does Ben have It's the last time Adam is aluded to

It's also about this time that DB is at his heaviest He suffered from gall bladder attacks for 2 yrs before losing weight prior to gall bladder surgery in 1972
fattitude

Return to “Season 11”