Episode 321 - ERIN

Bonanza Season 10 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 321 - ERIN

Post by Episode Guide » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:30 am

Date: January 26, 1969

Summary: Hoss finds some Indians with one of their cows and meets Erin, an Irish woman raised by the Sioux Indians. She trades Hoss’ horses for the cow that the Indians took. Hoss and Erin fall in Love and plan to marry but bigotry and superstition loom over their Love.

Written by: Sandy Summerhays
Directed by: Don Richardson
Guest Stars:Mary Fickett (Erin O'Donnell)

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy. Images from Bonanza Boomers Gallery.

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Re: Episode 321 - ERIN

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:39 pm

This was a nice romance story for Hoss, but I had a real problem with the leading lady and how the locals hated her and called her a "half-breed" or a "white Indian" when she could've easily passed as white. There was nothing remotely Indian about her. She was raised by the Sioux since she was a child but she still spoke with an Irish brogue? Even her blonde hair was nicely combed and styled the way any white woman would've worn her hair. :think I'll put it this way: Dawn Wells made for a more convincing Indian than this lady.

I swear, every time I see a white person trying to pass off as Indian, I cringe and think of PR's words. The only actor who could successfully pull off being a "half-breed" on this show was Charles Bronson, IMO.

Dammit all, Pernell, you were right.

AgnethaF
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 299
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
40,000 Posts BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019

View all badges

Post by AgnethaF » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:47 pm

Mary Fickett, who played Erin went on to play Ruth Martin on "All My Children." When I first saw that episode, I thought wow, it's Ruth from All My Children!
:bejules Proud member of BHA
"I'm never satisfied with my own work." Pernell Roberts.
"I'm with you every step of the way, Pa.. Right down the aisle." Adam The Burma Rarity :adam

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 140
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019
15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:35 pm

The episode is ok but she just wasn't convincing enough as someone who was raised by the Indians. Wasn't she also Archie Bunker's neighbor at one time?

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 167
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Cinco de mayo 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Challenge Games Edition

View all badges

Post by ellie » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:39 pm

My understanding is that she was old enough to have already established her Irish brogue before she and her father went to live with the Sioux. So her brogue doesn't bother me at all.

Erin is my favorite Hoss Romance. She was strong, not the typical weak female that the writers always threw at the Cartwrights. I've even written a mini-fic that had Erin live, marry Hoss and have children. Sadly, my muse forced Erin to out-live Hoss. :sob

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:05 pm

I don't think her character had Indian ancestry, did she?

Since her early English exposure was from someone with an Irish accent, and she was isolated from other English speakers when she lived with the Sioux, I can see where she would still speak with an accent. Henry Kissinger has been in the US for most of his life - since 1938! - but still has his accent.

And as for her hair - welcome to Bonanza, where women's hair was (obviously) a low priority! Or men's hair, for that matter. At least they didn't make her wear that orange lipstick!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 328
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019
Out Of The Blue Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Reader's Choice Level 1 Christmas 2018

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:09 pm

This episode bothers me, too. Not the Irish brogue, not the actress, not the character's strength and independence.

Love is a two way deal, IMO. Hoss was willing to support Erin's Indian ways and beliefs and to defend her to anyone who did not. That's love. Erin, on the other hand, IMO, wasn't willing to give Hoss's declarations a chance to work or fail -- she just assumed they'd fail, talked about how awful many white people were, how they'd never accept her. If she'd spent most of her life with the Indians, how could she know this? Is it common talk among the Indians? Did they threaten her with that, telling her she could never go back? If so, why was she so invested in being one of them?

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:19 pm

I think that if they hadn't done her in that she and Hoss would have made a wonderful couple.She was a strong, moral woman who could have been involved in many future plot lines. Even Adam would have approved. :yes
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

ljlover2001
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 30
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joseph

100 Posts Episode Summary Cock & Bull So You Think You Know Bonanza
Fun with 1's Break the record Valentine's Day 2010 Valentine's Day 2011
Letters to Santa 2012 Meet and greet chat Meet and greet chat Stuffed in chat
Chat Badge Fun Lorne Greene's Birthday 2010 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2011 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2013

View all badges

Post by ljlover2001 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:00 am

Erin was the best choice for a wife for Hoss and I wrote a story that had them married.
She wasn't supposed to be an Indian. The back story was that her father had been a friend of the Indians and she had been raised amongst them, with her father, so she knew all about their customs and beliefs and had sympathy for the way their lives were being ruined by the white man.
I think she did love Hoss, but feared that the prejudices aimed at her, by other white people, would hurt Hoss and his family.
It was so sad when she died, he was so cut up
Little Joe forever
Lynne

Return to “Season 10”