Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

Group Member Christmas 2020 Escape To Ponderosa PODs
100 Posts September Song 2020 New Member Post

View all badges

Re: Episode 270 - SECOND CHANCE

Post by Oxgirl » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:54 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:39 pm
As much as I liked James Gregory, he annoyed me sometimes. Especially here. Sure, he was brave in the end, but he blew himself up in the doing! Now although that saved the Cartwrights, the soldier, and the family they were helping, it seemed to be an unthought out move.

I wonder though, if they made it back to Virginia City safely, and just how ill Joe remained during the journey.
I think he weighed it up carefully and decided the ultimate sacrifice was the only way to save his daughter and to atone for his shortcomings. I guess he felt it was the only option left open to him.

I read a FF about the journey back once, which was really good. :thumbup
These users thanked the author Oxgirl for the post:
littlejoenice

Oxgirl
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 7

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:56 pm

daisy60 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:01 am
I love how caring Hoss was. Hoss was not only a great brother but a best friend to Joe. :yes
Yeah, Hoss was so great, I love the way he pats his head when reassuring him.

debbiejo
Drover
Drover
Badges: 8
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 100 Posts September Song 2013
Summer 2013 Summer 2014 Easter 2013 Michael Landon

View all badges

Episode 270 - SECOND CHANCE

Post by debbiejo » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:05 am

Second Chances is a favorite of mine. It was the opening episode of the 9th season of Bonanza. Being a Joegal, some of the reasons are obvious as we have SJS, macho sweaty shirtless Joe, and JPMs. But I also liked the James Gregory character and the Doctor. One of my favorite scenes is at the very end where the soldier sticks James Gregory's rifle in the ground at the grave and salutes......a redemption by a selfless act of bravery. I always found that scene very impactful.

Oxgirl
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 7

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:42 pm

debbiejo wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:05 am
One of my favorite scenes is at the very end where the soldier sticks James Gregory's rifle in the ground at the grave and salutes......a redemption by a selfless act of bravery. I always found that scene very impactful.
I always wonder if he really leaves his hat behind and can get another, or if he goes back for it. :yes

Frannie
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 108
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Lorne Greene Birthday 2021 Winter Writing Challenge 2021 10th Anniversary Letter K Reader's Choice Level 1
13th Anniversary Organizing Secrets 10,000 Posts New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021
Chat Host Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Christmas 2020 Gift of Music 2020
BINGO Participant xmas 2020 Convention On-Line 2020 BINGO Gutterball xmas 2020 Dan Blocker Birthday 2020

View all badges

Post by Frannie » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:28 pm

debbiejo wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:05 am
Second Chances is a favorite of mine. It was the opening episode of the 9th season of Bonanza. Being a Joegal, some of the reasons are obvious as we have SJS, macho sweaty shirtless Joe, and JPMs. But I also liked the James Gregory character and the Doctor. One of my favorite scenes is at the very end where the soldier sticks James Gregory's rifle in the ground at the grave and salutes......a redemption by a selfless act of bravery. I always found that scene very impactful.
And Hoss is the one who looks at him placing the rifle in the ground. A part of me can’t help but think that Dan Is remembering his time in Korea. 💕
“You gotta learn to laugh at yourself. If you can’t, you might as well give up right now.” - Hoss Cartwright, The Reluctant Rebel

Return to “Season 9”