Episode 268 - MAESTRO HOSS

Bonanza Season 8 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 268 - MAESTRO HOSS

Post by Episode Guide » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:39 am

Date: May 7, 1967

Summary:A palm reading con woman convinces Hoss that he is a musical genius on the violin and he drives the rest of the family mad with his constant practicing.

Written by: U.S. Andersen
Directed by: William F Claxton
Guest Stars: Zsa Zsa Gabor as Madame Marova, Kathleen Freeman

maestro hoss.gif
maestro hoss.gif (10.69 MiB) Viewed 1389 times

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All

Re: Episode 268 - MAESTRO HOSS

Post by Dagburnit » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:30 pm

Where DID Hoss or Madam Merova get that huge bass violin and Chinese violin anyway?!

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 328
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019
Out Of The Blue Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Reader's Choice Level 1 Christmas 2018

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:46 am

Dagburnit wrote:Where DID Hoss or Madam Merova get that huge bass violin and Chinese violin anyway?!
Good question. There's no plausible answer, you know. But I like to think there were many more gypsies camped in the pines and they sent her in to see how far she could get with the locals of Virginia City. :grin

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 302
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Tracy, ever since you told me that story about DB and his comment to Zsa Zsa Gabor, I don't think I can watch this episode again w/o smirking.

But I do find the fact that Hop Sing thought that Hoss' horrific playing was just like Chinese music a bit insulting--albeit humorous.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
Sharry
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:26 pm

Adamant wrote:Tracy, ever since you told me that story about DB and his comment to Zsa Zsa Gabor, I don't think I can watch this episode again w/o smirking.
Oh, now I must know what Dan said - to Zsa Zsa? I can't even imagine them in conversation together. (He was undoubtedly way ahead in the conversation, so to speak.) :grin

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 328
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019
Out Of The Blue Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Reader's Choice Level 1 Christmas 2018

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:57 pm

This episode is entertaining. I like seeing the hands at Hoss's "concert," the banter with Roy about Madam Marova is really funny, and hearing Lorne give a few belly laughs makes me smile.

That said, it does bother me that "season 8 Hoss" is as gullible as he is portrayed. I think many of the season seven and eight episodes show him as much more mature, worldly, and savvy in regard to gypsies and fortune tellers. I also wonder, how is it that Hoss reads music? When Joe and Ben find him with his Strat-ee-various for the first time, in the forest, Hoss is using sheet music as he "plays."

mikeobsessor
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 6
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Group Member 100 Posts Volunteer Photographer
Artist Badge Video

View all badges

Post by mikeobsessor » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:48 am

Just watched this one for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it!! Made me laugh. :laughing

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 176
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:08 pm

I watched this yesterday for the first time, and while I was watching it, my little brother called from the next room to find out what in the world the horrible noise was! Hoss's bad violin playing is just so bad! :rotfl
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:03 am

CowgirlAtHeart wrote:I watched this yesterday for the first time, and while I was watching it, my little brother called from the next room to find out what in the world the horrible noise was! Hoss's bad violin playing is just so bad! :rotfl
That's real funny, CowgirlatHeart. Somewhat curious, though. How old is your brother, and what did he say when he found out what the noise was? What was your favorite scene in that episode? I've always liked Zsa Zsa Gabor, and my favorite scene is that close-up of Ben, where he's just staring straight ahead! :rotfl That, to me, was the best scene in the whole film! :rotfl :rotfl
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 176
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:12 am

littlejoenice wrote:
CowgirlAtHeart wrote:I watched this yesterday for the first time, and while I was watching it, my little brother called from the next room to find out what in the world the horrible noise was! Hoss's bad violin playing is just so bad! :rotfl
That's real funny, CowgirlatHeart. Somewhat curious, though. How old is your brother, and what did he say when he found out what the noise was? What was your favorite scene in that episode? I've always liked Zsa Zsa Gabor, and my favorite scene is that close-up of Ben, where he's just staring straight ahead! :rotfl That, to me, was the best scene in the whole film! :rotfl :rotfl
My brother is 14 (he's the youngest) and when he found out it was Hoss's violin playing he asked me if I would please shut the door...he likes Bonanza but that screeching was too much! As for a favorite scene...I'd have to say the scene at the dinner table where Ben is questioning Hoss. The dialogue and facial expressions are priceless! A second favorite would be the scene where Zsa Zsa's character tricks Joe to get down from the wagon. She sized him up right away! :ha
These users thanked the author CowgirlAtHeart for the post:
littlejoenice
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Return to “Season 8”