Episode 254 - BLACK FRIDAY

Bonanza Season 8 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 254 - BLACK FRIDAY

Post by Episode Guide » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:27 am

Date: January 22, 1967

Summary: Joe meets up with a former Ponderosa ranch hand, Friday, who is now a gunfighter. The man is ill and Joe looks after him, only to discover that the man is taking part in a gunfight at the end of the week.

Written by: Herbert Kastle, John Hawkins
Directed by: William F Claxton
Guest Stars: John Saxon as Friday, Ford Rainey as the judge.

black friday.gif
black friday.gif (7.96 MiB) Viewed 1215 times

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Re: Episode 254 - BLACK FRIDAY

Post by Sharry » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:20 pm

I watched this episode today. I'm not entirely sure if I had seen the whole thing all the way through before - I may have.

One of the most striking things for me was that I had blinked (or something) and Joe had completely grown up when this episode was made. That's not entirely fair, but he was so young when the show began that he ages quite noticeably after season 6.

He's very mature, capable, unafraid, and determined from the opening scenes to the end of the story. I like seeing him like this. :grin :clap
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post (total 2):
daisy60Jim Barnsby

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:27 am

Sharry wrote:I watched this episode today. I'm not entirely sure if I had seen the whole thing all the way through before - I may have.

One of the most striking things for me was that I had blinked (or something) and Joe had completely grown up when this episode was made. That's not entirely fair, but he was so young when the show began that he ages quite noticeably after season 6.

He's very mature, capable, unafraid, and determined from the opening scenes to the end of the story. I like seeing him like this. :grin :clap

After 14 years on Bonanza, Michael wasn't 'Little Joe' anymore but much more mature, able to handle most things by himself. He had a sense of what was right and what was wrong. He never lost his sense of humor or his giggle though. :laughing John Saxon did a wonderful job as an ill gunfighter. Michael wrote the ending scene of the gunfight and a gun with no bullets. :shoot1
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post (total 2):
SharryJim Barnsby

Jim Barnsby
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Post by Jim Barnsby » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:30 am

Four years and someone wants to discuss Black Friday...finally!!!

For my money, this is season 8's best episode. Great performances, atmosphere, and a "nobody wins" ending that's as bleak as anything any show ever did, especially in a show from the 1960s.

James Davidson (Cole Berry) and Robert Phillips (Nate Jakes) were excellent in this. The established killer (Jakes) and the ambitious upstart (Berry) metaphorically circle one another throughout this episode, making their sub-plot a noteworthy addition to an already tense episode. Robert Phillips was a 1960s mainstay in TV Westerns, but this is the best I've ever seen him. James Davidson should have had a much more prolific TV career, as he is also superb. He reminds me of another "angelic" blonde actor, Andrew Robinson from S14's "Forever."

Joe fans must make "Black Friday" a viewing priority--just make sure you're not trampled in the stampede to post your thoughts in this topic! ("Black Friday"...get it?)
These users thanked the author Jim Barnsby for the post:
daisy60

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:18 am

I watched this episode for the first time on Saturday night, and I must say, it was an incredible performance. John Saxon was a handsome guest, and I always like to see Ford Rainey in any role. He was so good at the characters he played. Joe's attitude and loyalty towards his friend is natural, even risking his life in order for Friday to have food, water, and medicine. I think my favorite part, though, had to be the end after Friday dies, and Joe looks up at Cole Berry, who now has the gunfighter's reputation.

Friday didn't even have any bullets in his gun, and Berry still went through with it. In a way, I think Friday wanted to die. He was tired of people coming along, always challenging him, wanting to outshoot him and not making it. So sad.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Return to “Season 8”