Episode 252 - JUSTICE

Bonanza Season 8 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 252 - JUSTICE

Post by Episode Guide » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:25 am

Date: January 8, 1967

Summary: Joe is in love with the bank manager's daughter, unaware that mild mannered bank clerk, Horace, loves her too. When she is killed, Joe becomes obsessed with proving that Horace is the killer.

Written by: Richard Wendley
Directed by: Lewis Allen
Guest Stars: Beau Bridges as Horace

justice.gif
justice.gif (9.06 MiB) Viewed 4424 times

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All

Re: Episode 252 - JUSTICE

Post by Dagburnit » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:35 pm

A solid episode. I guess though there are at least two banks in VC, since we never saw Sally before or her father as banker.
Too bad we didn't know about the engagement around the time of the rabbit business. I wonder what depositors do when the bank owner is in mourning and the bank is closed.

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 359
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 24 Organizing Secrets Christmas 2020
Christmas Bauble 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 23 Bonanza Ballads Level 22 Time For A Commercial Break 5
Talk Like A Pirate 2020 September Song 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 21 Good Housekeeping 2020
Reader's Choice Level 9 Bonanza Ballads Level 20 Reader's Choice Level 8 July 4 2020

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:20 pm

While I would not list this as a favorite episode, I must say there are several things about this episode that are outstanding, IMO.

The relationship between Joe and Sally springs up out of nowhere - they are engaged; ring, fathers' blessings, and all. Knowing the nature of the show, viewers know from moment one that Sally will either leave town or meet an untimely death. So, it is hard to become invested in the sparks flying between her and Joe. However - there are sparks, IMO. Something we don't usually see in Bonanza romances, especially Joe's. The chemistry between Mike and Shirley Bonne is there - really there. She's happy, not needy, and obviously a good match for Joe.

Beau Bridges, as Horace Perkins (Could he be related to Farmer Perkins? :grin) is wonderful. He plays the shy, awkward bank teller so well, and then at the end, he comes across as the psycho murderer he truly is. Wonderful performance by Mr. Bridges.

Also, Lurene Tuttle as the loving Mrs. Colter, trying to replace her deceased son with Horace - she is quite good in this role. You can't help but feel for her.

George Bristol, played by Roy Roberts, makes his first appearance as the banker. We see him again in season 8's "Clarissa," where there is no mention of his now deceased daughter or the fact that she and Joe had been engaged. There is one scene, right after Clem, Joe, and Mrs. Colter leave the grieving George Bristol in his home -- wow. He turns away from the closed front door slowly and looks around his living room, the place where he last saw his daughter alive. Great moment well played by Roberts.

One obvious thing that bothers me is the use of two very, very different Cochises. In the closer shots, Joe is riding a Cochise who has white socks, and is about 50/50 black and white. In the distance shots, he's riding a Cochise who has four white legs and is more white than black.
Last edited by Tracy on Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 179
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

13th Anniversary Organizing Secrets Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021
Christmas 2020 BINGO Participant xmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 BINGO Gutterball xmas 2020
Halloween Recipes 2020 Game Night 2020 Level 3 Game Night 2020 Level 2 Game Night 2020 Level 1
Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Capt Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020 July 4 2020

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:50 pm

Horace was a crazy guy who was obsessed with Sally. Michael played the grieved fiancé very well. He was the only one who knew Horace was the killer and followed him all over until the truth came out. Good episode with plenty of emotion.

rogell
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021 Group Member

View all badges

Post by rogell » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:05 pm

I'm more of a fan of the first 6 years of Bonanza because those are the Adam years, but this is one of those after Adam ones that I like. Beau Bridges plays both the shy clerk and a killer very well. His uneasy nature is evident throughout the episode. I love the battle between he and Joe at the end. ML plays anger and anguish better than anyone.

Oxgirl
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 6
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

Christmas 2020 Escape To Ponderosa PODs 100 Posts
September Song 2020 New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:53 pm

I love this ep, one of my faves. Joe is really being eaten up by such fury and I think it comes across really well, especially when he's refusing to eat and pounding on the horseshoe - I love the single tear that escapes due to his frustration and sorrow. Poor Cochise though, he gets a start when Joe flings the horseshoe down. The way Joe shadows Horace starts to look a bit obsessive and dark, until the end when he proves he was right all along. I like the way Hoss and Ben follow him into town as they are worried what he'll do and then leave quietly without disturbing him. I end up feeling a little sorry for Horace really, it wasn't nice that he was laughed at and so lonely and nobody cared. I also feel sorry for the father and for the surrogate mum, all of them in fact, including Cochise!

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 179
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

13th Anniversary Organizing Secrets Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021
Christmas 2020 BINGO Participant xmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 BINGO Gutterball xmas 2020
Halloween Recipes 2020 Game Night 2020 Level 3 Game Night 2020 Level 2 Game Night 2020 Level 1
Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Capt Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020 July 4 2020

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Michael was always very good at showing emotions. He once said near the beginning of the show, when he needed to cry in a scene he thought of his father dying. After Dan Blocker died he thought about Dan dying and he had problem crying. :sob
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
Oxgirl

Return to “Season 8”