Episode 233 - HOME FROM THE SEA

Bonanza Season 7 Episodes
debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Re: Episode 233 - HOME FROM THE SEA

Post by debpet2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 pm

This is the one episode I've actually avoided watching, specifically because I didn't like the basic premise as I had seen it described in TV Guide etc. The idea of someone invoking Adam's name to insinuate himself with the family just goes against me. The whole issue of Adam's absence was never dealt with in a satisfactory way in the series and the impression I got was that this episode would be a step in the wrong direction.

debpet2 :adam

P.S. I could go for the idea of passing this off as just a bad dream of Ben's.
Last edited by debpet2 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author debpet2 for the post:
Sharry

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 143
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day
Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:51 pm

I'm not too fond of this episode, starting at the beginning when Ben thinks the man is Adam from the back! He looked nothing like Adam, except he started wearing his clothes. The clothes don't make him Adam.

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 35

Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
4th of July 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday
Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:14 pm

:rotfl I love the idea that it's all Ben having a nightmare. That'll be my new headcanon. Especially because of that bit where Gillie is describing an innovation of Adam's that ends up an unqualified disaster and becomes a joke to his fellow sailors! Since when has our brainy cowboy invented ANYTHING that didn't work perfectly? :shrug :laughing

The only moment in this episode I remember liking is Hoss's observation after Ben talks about how much Gillie reminds him of Adam (what was Ben thinking? I mean really!): "They got one thing in common...he takes off by himself every time he's got a thought or a notion he can't shake loose from."

I think that's an insightful remark, and it shows how well Hoss knows his older brother.
These users thanked the author PlatoofthePonderosa for the post:
ellie
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 55

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Ahh, I saw this episode ONE time. I never put it on again. Even when it was on many years later. I remember the promotion ads that made you think it was Adam. They never showed the face of the actor in the promos. When I saw the episode it was such a disappointment and the feeling of being tricked. From these photos on here the actor who plays Gilly looks like he could be related to Danny Kaye. No not lookalike but just related, maybe the mouth and nose area? No way does this man look like PR, no not even close. Strange that Ben would mistake him for Adam only several feet away when in The Crucible he recognized Adam many yards away, like 100's. He must have been looking with his heart.

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 35

Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
4th of July 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday
Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:59 pm

I've thought that he looks like Danny Kaye, too.
Julianna wrote:Strange that Ben would mistake him for Adam only several feet away when in The Crucible he recognized Adam many yards away, like 100's. He must have been looking with his heart.
Well, I can't fault him for that. :no :adam :hearts
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

dreamie
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Post by dreamie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:28 pm

I totally get that folks would be turned off for this eppy. I really like this one though because it helps with continuity and I really appreciate when the writers took care for that. I would have liked it more if it were in a little later season. Also I usually don't like the morality tale portions of the shows, but I like them in this one because it allows as a viewer to recognize the genuine nature of the Cartwright family. It doesn't totally redeem the conman but it shows him as a complex personality.

(The idea of Ben having a nightmare is really, really funny though. I like to come up with little scenarios to explain plot lapses in my head too!)

Return to “Season 7”