Episode 226 - HER BROTHER’S KEEPER

Bonanza Season 7 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 226 - HER BROTHER’S KEEPER

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Date: March 6, 1966

Summary: Ben’s love for Claire meets an insurmountable obstacle - her invalid brother.

Written by: Mort Thaw and Lee Pickett
Directed by: R. G. Springsteen
Guest Stars: Claire Armory...Nancy Gates Carl Armory...Wesley Lau Doctor...Grandon Rhodes Charlie...Ralph Montgomery Clerk...Norman Leavitt

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All

Re: Episode 226 - HER BROTHER’S KEEPER

Post by Dagburnit » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:31 pm

I don't understand some things about this episode. Throughout the entire episode Carl wanted his sister to marry Ben, and at the end, after stealing the $3,600 from Ben he implored his sister not to leave him alone. Plus, he moved to Virginia City without his sister who was living in San Francisco and thus Carl was alone in that large house until they wired Claire to come. The house looked like a fairly modern home on a residential street, yet they were described as neighbors of the Cartwrights on the Ponderosa. Was the Armorys' rented house part of a village or nearby town? I also noticed that it was only Joe's mother's photo on Ben's desk, when ordinarily he always has the photos of all three wives. Finally, Joe tells Claire that his mother died right after he was born. But in fact we know that he had known for for several years before she died. Something of an unclear episode.

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand

Post by Dagburnit » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:21 pm

Also Ben gave Carl a check as a loan but they had already gone by early the next morning. So when did Carl have a chance to cash Ben's check?

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 327
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe

Forum Moderator Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Out Of The Blue
Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Reader's Choice Level 1 Christmas 2018 Fun With Captions Level 2

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Dagburnit wrote: I don't understand some things about this episode. Throughout the entire episode Carl wanted his sister to marry Ben, and at the end, after stealing the $3,600 from Ben he implored his sister not to leave him alone.
What Carl wanted was for Ben to marry Claire and for he and Claire to be "taken care of" by the Cartwright fortune. Carl had every intention of living off of Ben's generosity and Claire's guilt.
Dagburnit wrote:Plus, he moved to Virginia City without his sister who was living in San Francisco and thus Carl was alone in that large house until they wired Claire to come.
Carl was running from creditors in San Francisco. He was hiding out near Virginia City - no doubt he ran a con on the bank or house owner to even get into the house in the first place. And he was feeling Ben out as a potential mate for Claire.
Dagburnit wrote:I also noticed that it was only Joe's mother's photo on Ben's desk, when ordinarily he always has the photos of all three wives. Finally, Joe tells Claire that his mother died right after he was born. But in fact we know that he had known for for several years before she died. Something of an unclear episode.
It is true that there are sometimes three frames on Ben's desk - and in one episode, they are on display on a round table near the desk. The mystery of the frames is something that will never be answered.

As for knowing for a "fact" that Joe knew Marie for several years before she died - no such thing as "fact" on Bonanza. With so many different writers and, obviously, little to no continuity, Joe had a mother named Felicia and another named Marie, he knew one and the other one died when he was born. No facts. No continuity. Just entertainment.
These users thanked the author Tracy for the post:
ellen

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Out Of The Blue
Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Reader's Choice Level 1 Christmas 2018 Fun With Captions Level 2

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:39 pm

This is one of my favorite episodes as far as chemistry between Ben and a female suitor. Lorne and Nancy Gates, IMO, had wonderful chemistry.

Several of the outdoor scenes, with the wind blowing, made those scenes very realistic and added to the naturalness of their time together. Watching them together, the elephant in the room - the eye patch - seemed to fade away.

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand

Post by Dagburnit » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:57 pm

I get the point but in what episode is Marie called Felicia?! I wonder if Landon remembered that Marie died a few years after Joe was born according to other episodes.. ..I guess I missed some of the storyline about Carl. It's hard to imagine that Claire let him get away with stealing Ben's money.

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:08 pm

Dagburnit wrote:I get the point but in what episode is Marie called Felicia?! I wonder if Landon remembered that Marie died a few years after Joe was born according to other episodes.. ..I guess I missed some of the storyline about Carl. It's hard to imagine that Claire let him get away with stealing Ben's money.
In season one, episode one, "A Rose For Lotta", Joe tells Lotta his mother's name was Felicia.

We never learn for certain if Carl actually cashed or deposited Ben's check or whether Claire returned the money to Ben after she and Carl fled.

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:12 pm

Wasn't Joe's mother's name Felicia Marie Cartwright? I thought she just preferred to use Marie with her family and friends.

Dagburnit
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand

Post by Dagburnit » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:50 am

I wonder what the writers were thinking when they included the chimney scene. Can you imagine washing off all the soot without a bath or preferably a shower?!!

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:26 am

Dagburnit wrote:I wonder what the writers were thinking when they included the chimney scene. Can you imagine washing off all the soot without a bath or preferably a shower?!!
You're right. Not only would it have taken Hoss and Joe hours to clean themselves and the house, but I imagine it took Dan and Mike quite a while to clean up, and I imagine the crew and equipment needed a good dusting, as well. But the scene did add a touch of comedy, and it added a layer to Claire's character - some women might have been appalled at the mess made by Joe and Hoss, but Claire chuckled - adding to her character.

Return to “Season 7”