Episode 201 - THE SPOTLIGHT

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Re: Episode 201 - THE SPOTLIGHT

Post by Sharry » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:39 pm

Adamant wrote:I often wonder if PR visited ML when he was in such frail condition. My gut tells me he did.
I have wondered the same thing, and have drawn the same conclusion. I think Pernell would have gone to him, and it couldn't have been easy. I think that's the sort of man he was. Bless both of them. :sob

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:23 pm

I know Pernell visited Lorne because Nancy said he did. He probably visited Michael as well, but preferred to do so in private. Michael visited Pernell while his mother was in the hospital and Pernell visited Michael on LHOP set.
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
Sharry

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Post by snapdragon » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:39 am

Adamant wrote:Although this isn't probably on anyone's list of fave episodes, it contains some delightful moments such as the bet between Hoss and Joe that Miss Bergstrom can't keep talking--and the pay-off (she talks incessantly!)
Yup! Especially when Hoss said "I know women" and Joe literally laughed in his face.
It also is poignant in that it presents what happens to performers when their talent had left them. It also has Minnie Brown--remember her from "Enter Thomas Bowers" when she attempts to sing?--who Ben auditions as Angela's accompanist.
Thanks for giving me an excuse to post this gif from Enter Thomas Bowers :grin

I do find it interesting that even though Angela talks about Sweden, no one mentions that Hoss' mother was Swedish.
I know! I kept waiting for someone to say it, and it kind of annoyed me when no one did. It's such a natural conversation cue.
And this also contains the throwaway line from Joe about 'We got rid of him," when Hoss starts reciting Shakespeare. It is assumed ML is referring to PR having left the series early after he fulfilled his contracts. I think TV Land cuts it out.
TVLand did not cut it out. Joe's line seemed out of place. I kept wondering, How exactly did they get rid of Shakespeare? :think But you're saying that it was really a snark against PR? tsk tsk on the writers/producers :mad

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 174
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 2

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:31 am

One thing I don't understand about this episode is why Angela is still teaching voice when she can't sing anymore! I can see her being able to give tips to students, but to be a voice teacher someone really has to be able to demonstrate proper singing technique.
These users thanked the author CowgirlAtHeart for the post:
Lynn
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:54 pm

CowgirlAtHeart wrote:One thing I don't understand about this episode is why Angela is still teaching voice when she can't sing anymore! I can see her being able to give tips to students, but to be a voice teacher someone really has to be able to demonstrate proper singing technique.
I'm no expert, but I assume she can sing, just not well enough that people would pay to hear her. Professionals have a different standard than the rest of us.

Remember when Julie Andrews had vocal surgery and it "ruined" her voice? Here's a video of her singing with her "ruined" voice:
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 174
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 2

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:54 pm

ellen wrote:
CowgirlAtHeart wrote:One thing I don't understand about this episode is why Angela is still teaching voice when she can't sing anymore! I can see her being able to give tips to students, but to be a voice teacher someone really has to be able to demonstrate proper singing technique.
I'm no expert, but I assume she can sing, just not well enough that people would pay to hear her. Professionals have a different standard than the rest of us.

Remember when Julie Andrews had vocal surgery and it "ruined" her voice? Here's a video of her singing with her "ruined" voice:
That makes sense, thanks! So she'd still be able to sing enough to teach, but she wouldn't perform as a singer herself anymore.

(Btw I love Julie Andrews, even with her "ruined" voice.) :yes
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Ponderosaism

Post by Ponderosaism » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:38 pm

As a swede I quite don't get why they spell Bergstrom instead of Bergström.
"Peasants"

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 302
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:11 pm

Ponderosaism wrote:As a swede I quite don't get why they spell Bergstrom instead of Bergström.
Because it was Americanized. Printing presses of that time did not have the piece to indicate the umlaut. My computer doesn't even have one although if I use Word program to write anything, I can insert the letter as an umlaut.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 302
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:14 pm

I just looked at this thread from the beginning, viewing the slide show again and noticed that Angela is wearing Laura Dayton's pink dancing dress (with a bit of lace to fill the neckline,) and her pearl necklace. Glad they were recycling. The seams in those dresses must have been huge for all the taking-out and taking-in the wardrobe people did to get them to fit so many actresses.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

emilysean
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 63
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: adam

Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day Without A Trace 7
BINGO Gutterball Games Edition Guess The Guest Star Anniversary Don't Blink Step Up To 2018
Christmas 2017 Ponderosa Nightmares IV Oktoberfest 2017 Time For A Commercial Break 3
Without A Trace 6 Talk like a pirate 2017 Gutterball BINGO Quotes Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017

View all badges

Post by emilysean » Wed May 29, 2019 10:35 am

Adamant wrote:And this also contains the throwaway line from Joe about 'We got rid of him," when Hoss starts reciting Shakespeare. It is assumed ML is referring to PR having left the series early after he fulfilled his contracts.
I'm so glad you guys are here to talk about this. I'm watching the episode for the first time on TV Land and the line really hit me.
But after reading this thread I feel so much better.

In addition to the stories about how the guys stayed in touch after the six years of working together, I remember an episode of Trapper John MD called "The Unholy Ghost". There was a running theme about walnuts. At the end there is a "Walnut Grove" van. I always thought that was a wink at Michael Landon.

Return to “Season 6”