Episode 195 - DEAD AND GONE

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Re: Episode 195 - DEAD AND GONE

Post by PJudith » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:05 am

Enjoyed the singing but this episode makes me sad because it was Adam's last one! :sob But he does go out on a high note. He was such a loyal man that he'd go to the mat for a friend.

The only thing that seems off to me is the Hilda and Johann brother/sister story. Well okay, they needed a pretty woman who would fall for Howard. And someone who disagreed with her.

Johann the humorless Lutheran? :grin Well okay, some folks here may know better than I . But my paternal granddad was Lutheran and he was a LOT of FUN! He even would've made Johann smile! That whole side of my family was a trip. lots of fun, great sense of humor. But of course we are talking about a different era in the time of Bonanza.

Actually what I really don't get is this VERY attractive and hardworking brother and sister living alone and isolated. If you read the history of the time and the Comstock Lode, women were in short supply and at a real premium. Hilda would've likely found a husband and been married. Johann would not have had to carry the financial burden on his own.

The show WAS written with a 1960's mindset, for a 1960's audience. So the characters had to portray what was necessary for the script, just not necessarily the way life was back then. And Hilda returning to Germany? I didn't get that either. Didn't immigrants usually STAY? I don't think it would've been so hard for her to find a husband, she was a looker!

Wellllll, that's my Monday morning rant!! :laughing

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:11 pm

PJudith wrote: Johann the humorless Lutheran? :grin Well okay, some folks here may know better than I . But my paternal granddad was Lutheran and he was a LOT of FUN! He even would've made Johann smile! That whole side of my family was a trip. lots of fun, great sense of humor. But of course we are talking about a different era in the time of Bonanza.
Actually what I really don't get is this VERY attractive and hardworking brother and sister living alone and isolated. If you read the history of the time and the Comstock Lode, women were in short supply and at a real premium. Hilda would've likely found a husband and been married. Johann would not have had to carry the financial burden on his own.
OK, when that's ranting, I'll rant back: :grin
Not all Lutherans or Reformed protestants are humourless of course (I'm German and Lutheran myself :laughing ), but in some parts of Germany there was a religious tendency to just work and pray back then. Those people - if they emigrated to America - did it in bigger groups. Johann and Hilda seem to be very much on their own out there. Did they ever tell anyone why the emigrated? Can't remember ... And Johann does not really want to learn or use the English language if he can avoid it. Hilda, however, would like to adapt to the new life, but Johann seems to have very strict (German? Protestant?) ideas about her way of life: He probably would like to marry her off quickly to a "good German protestant" like himself; but there is none.
So, in the end Hilda returnes home to live in Germany, perhaps with some relatives (were there any?). There probably was no way for a sheltered and a bit naive girl like her either to make a "decent" living around Virginia City.
Well, a Mrs. Cartwright - if there had been one at that time - could have taken Hilda "under her wing" and perhaps she would have stayed ... :grin
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:44 pm

Well that's a pretty good rant! :grin It did seem to me that Hilda and her brother were alone and so isolated. With Johann's attitude I could never figure out why he dragged his sister with him out into a wilderness. You think he would've gotten his sister "married off" when they were still back east! LOL And gotten himself a wife too!

I live in Pennsylvania and we have a large "Pennsylvania Dutch" population, German of course. It seems that Johann and Hilda would've been part of that immigrant group. I just wonder why they would leave their people and take off on their own. Of course this is all just speculation about an old TV show!

It does seem like an episode that needed a fan fic. For instance, Johann DID marry and his wife and child died in their trip across the country. Might explain was he was so bitter and unhappy. And he forbade his sister from ever mentioning his late wife!

But I think Hilda should've married a Cartwright!!

Return to “Season 6”