Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021 Group Member

View all badges

Re: Episode 194 - THE TRAP

Post by rogell » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:46 am

I think the episode ends kind of weird. I like the premise but Booth comes in tuff but then he acts kind of insane with the bible reading and attacking his sister in law. I don't think the writers knew what they wanted from the Booth character. Then at the end Ben is ok with the man who shot his son...uh...no. Not really a fully developed story line, so not one of my favorites.
These users thanked the author rogell for the post (total 2):
JuliannaOxgirl

Sierras
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 166
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 18 Lorne Greene Birthday 2021 Reader's Choice Level 17
13th Anniversary Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021 Christmas 2020
BINGO Spare Christmas 2020 BINGO Participant xmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 Convention On-Line 2020
BINGO Gutterball xmas 2020 Dan Blocker Birthday 2020 Reader's Choice Level 16 Bonanza Ballads Level 11

View all badges

Post by Sierras » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:01 pm

This is a powerful and intense episode. Poor Joe! Yeah I agree the ending needs a missing scene added. Hmm.

:write
These users thanked the author Sierras for the post:
Oxgirl
"Like father like sons." Echoed by Little Joe in "Springtime"
"Now I know that we are only half brothers, but we are brothers." Adam in "The Hayburner"

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 179
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

13th Anniversary Organizing Secrets Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021
Christmas 2020 BINGO Participant xmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 BINGO Gutterball xmas 2020
Halloween Recipes 2020 Game Night 2020 Level 3 Game Night 2020 Level 2 Game Night 2020 Level 1
Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Capt Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020 July 4 2020

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:35 pm

Sierras wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:01 pm
This is a powerful and intense episode. Poor Joe! Yeah I agree the ending needs a missing scene added. Hmm.

I agree with the ending being too cut off! One minute Joe is shot and Ben carries him to the Dr.'s office and then it cuts to Ben telling Booth Joe is fine, go right in and see him. What? Booth Just shot Joe. Even if he says he's sorry Ben trusts him to go in alone to see Joe? It didn't make sense! :shrug :no
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post (total 2):
SierrasOxgirl

Sierras
Wrangler
Wrangler

Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 18 Lorne Greene Birthday 2021 Reader's Choice Level 17
13th Anniversary Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021 Christmas 2020
BINGO Spare Christmas 2020 BINGO Participant xmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 Convention On-Line 2020
BINGO Gutterball xmas 2020 Dan Blocker Birthday 2020 Reader's Choice Level 16 Bonanza Ballads Level 11

View all badges

Post by Sierras » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:11 pm

daisy60 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:35 pm
Sierras wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:01 pm

I agree with the ending being too cut off! One minute Joe is shot and Ben carries him to the Dr.'s office and then it cuts to Ben telling Booth Joe is fine, go right in and see him. What? Booth Just shot Joe. Even if he says he's sorry Ben trusts him to go in alone to see Joe? It didn't make sense! :shrug :no
Yeah that last part at the end makes me a little uncomfortable too. Why can't Ben himself just tell Joe that Booth came and said he was sorry? Joe just got shot by Booth. Does he really want to see Booth right now? Uh-h, maybe not.
:shrug
These users thanked the author Sierras for the post:
Oxgirl
"Now I know that we are only half brothers, but we are brothers." Adam in "The Hayburner"

Oxgirl
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 7
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

Group Member Christmas 2020 Escape To Ponderosa PODs
100 Posts September Song 2020 New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:15 pm

rogell wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:46 am
I think the episode ends kind of weird. I like the premise but Booth comes in tuff but then he acts kind of insane with the bible reading and attacking his sister in law. I don't think the writers knew what they wanted from the Booth character. Then at the end Ben is ok with the man who shot his son...uh...no. Not really a fully developed story line, so not one of my favorites.
Also, I don't understand how he just gets away with all the stuff he did. Did he kill the girl? If not, he certainly hounded her to her death .... and he just gets away scott free!? :no

Sierras
Wrangler
Wrangler

View all badges

Post by Sierras » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:19 pm

Oxgirl wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:15 pm
rogell wrote:
Also, I don't understand how he just gets away with all the stuff he did. Did he kill the girl? If not, he certainly hounded her to her death .... and he just gets away scott free!? :no
I think Hallie's death was an accident. Remember she ran off in the dark ~ desperate to get away from Booth. I think she probably tripped over something or lost her footing and fell.

Oxgirl
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:23 pm

Sierras wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:19 pm
Oxgirl wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:15 pm
rogell wrote:
I think Hallie's death was an accident. Remember she ran off in the dark ~ desperate to get away from Booth. I think she probably tripped over something or lost her footing and fell.
I haven't seen the ep that recently (will revisit this week), but I seem to remember feeling at the time that he could have chased after her and maybe even broken her neck before flinging her off a cliff or shoved her or something. Even if not, he certainly was responsible for her death by his treatment of her, but nobody seemed to care about that. :shrug
These users thanked the author Oxgirl for the post:
Sierras

Oxgirl
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:24 am

Saw this today again for the second time. Hmmm, yes, I concur, I think Booth really did think Joe had killed Hallie and didn't do it himself. You could see him reconsidering when Joe was challenging him to the shootout and also just before. A very well constructed ep, full of lots of tension and very well written.

I agree with peoples' comments about Ben at the end though. Firstly, if Joe was awake, how come Ben wasn't in the room with him mopping his brow?, he looked bored and grouchy in that chair, I know he was exhausted, but he didn't seem to be showing too much compasion. Also, whilst I'm on the subject, at the beginning of the ep, when Joe was upset just before they went to Burke's funeral, Ben didn't seem very sympathetic towards Joe's feelings there either, he just seemed a bit impatient and 'what's the point of talking about it' kind of attitude. :sad

I guess he didn't feel Booth was a threat to Joe anymore so that's why he allowed him to go in to see him, but it's almost like he was being too friendly towards Booth and forgiving him too easily. Maybe he felt it was best for Joe to see him face-to-face, and he was putting Joe first, but it didn't really look like that. I guess he was grateful to Booth for not killing Joe, he obviously aimed for the shoulder to spare him.
These users thanked the author Oxgirl for the post:
Sierras

Return to “Season 6”