Episode 192 - RIGHT IS THE 4TH R

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 192 - RIGHT IS THE 4TH R

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:13 am

Date: March 7, 1965

Summary: Adam takes over as a substitute for injured teacher Barbara Scott. He decides to prepare a lesson on the history of the Nevada Territory and during the course of his research, uncovers an ugly, long-buried secret.

Written by: Jerry Adelman
Directed by: Virgil W. Vogel
Guest Stars: Grandon Rhodes (Doctor), Everett Sloane (Colonel Scott), Mariette Hartley (Barbara Scott), Barry Kelley (Chaffee)

Slideshow courtesy of Rika

Kaethe
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Re: Episode 192 - RIGHT IS THE 4TH R

Post by Kaethe » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:02 pm

Surprised that there are no comments.
True no male female chemistry which is always alluring and fantasy inspiring.
For me it was Adam's involvement with setting history straight on the truth. What a cover up. Activist that PR was he probably loved, maybe liked, the script.
Adam's so called stubbornness, what I see as integrity was so admirable and sexy.

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Barbara and Adam might have been well matched in some ways...intellect and interests...but she just didn't seem to be suited to the often rough life of the West. I agree about Adam's integrity being one of his most admirable traits.

debpet2 :adam
These users thanked the author debpet2 for the post:
Booebsijoh

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Watched this with a friend this week. Some recurring guest stars...I thought Everett Sloane was good, but I've never warmed to Mariette Hartley's performances, much as I would like to like her character in this episode. I do like seeing Adam with a woman with whom he connects in an intellectual way. Barbara shares his passions and ideals (some of them, at least) and has the moral backbone to sacrifice her comfortable life in order to let Adam do what he thinks is right. But somehow the character wasn't played in a way I find compelling.

Things I like about this episode:

The family. Ben strikes the perfect note between fatherly support and respectful distance. He doesn't squelch Adam or become overbearing as he does in some other episodes, but his love and concern are obvious. And this episode is made 10x better by watching Hoss and Joe's facial expressions throughout. Those boys...I just love them.

I also enjoy seeing the academic Adam rather than the cowboy for a change (not that I don't adore Cowboy Adam :grin). It's fun to see him grade papers and pull late nights over the books.

Things that bother me:

Colonel Scott. His dodgy way of trying to preserve his reputation at all costs almost costs Adam his life. It does cost Charlie his life, and it allows a mass murderer to roam free for thirty years. His immature behavior at the board meeting, his behind-the-scenes attempts to manipulate Ben and Barbara, his campaign to get Adam fired for simply teaching history and being a bit stubborn...it doesn't sit well in my stomach. He only shows a tiny glimmer of integrity at the end, after all the damage has been done. Grrr.

The ending. The buildup to the final scene is great. The scene itself is disappointing and doesn't give the sense of rightness or resolution I hope for every time I watch it. :(

The "teaching the teacher" joke. It was okay the first couple times, but I'm always squirming long before they drop it! :no
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:29 am

PlatoofthePonderosa wrote:The ending. The buildup to the final scene is great. The scene itself is disappointing and doesn't give the sense of rightness or resolution I hope for every time I watch it. :(
But precisely this ending makes the difference between some Bonanza episodes and the dull "Happy Ending" stories in other series. It just like in real life: The good ones do not always win. Sadly enough!
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

Return to “Season 6”