Episode 187 - THE FLANNEL-MOUTH GUN

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Drifter
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Ponderosa Prospects
1,000 Posts 100 Posts Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Re: Episode 187 - THE FLANNEL-MOUTH GUN

Post by Drifter » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:34 pm

This was a weird episode. Adam does seem very neutral toward Clegg, while trying stick to his intuition, even if his opinion isn't popular. Perhaps he was just numb to Ponderosa living and the West at this point and was already checking out/packing his bags. He didn't seem to "fit in," even in his Hometown. No wonder he wasn't around much longer... . :sad

Something Adam said in the beginning stood out to me. "No one is turned away from the Ponderosa." So why they spend all their time chasing drifters off their property the first couple seasons? Did they just give up?!

Joking aside, I wouldn't have minded being an overnight guest. I know Adam had breakfast and coffee, but it didn't look like he slept very well. I wouldn't mind soaking his feet in a tub of salty water to help him relax. :wink
These users thanked the author Drifter for the post (total 2):
JanuaryTahoe Lee

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 60

Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019
Reader's Choice Level 1 Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary
Winter 2018/2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:36 pm

I hadn't noticed the face in the clock before. Now that it's been pointed out to me I probably won't be able to not notice it. The moon face is fascinating.

I always thought this episode might have been an attempt at creating a psychological thriller that never really materialized. There was a lot of tension between Adam & Simmons from the beginning. Once Clegg was introduced he provided someone else for us to really dislike.

I recognized the great screen caps of Adam this episode provides. However, I'm partial to the jammie look Adam had when he came down the stairs. We didn't get to see enough of that throughout Bonanza. :grin Admittedly, the sixties style slippers seemed unusual. I don't know what men wore on their feet around the house in the 1860's. I suppose they had something similar.

The title of the episode confused me mightily when I was a child. I forever pictured a rifle with some sort of flannel stuffing jutting out the end of it. Sorry - I was little.

Was this episode intended to be something of a morality play? Maybe - Clegg seems to have experienced a more personal view of things in the end. Previous to being on the receiving end of a rifle he justified his work without any difficulty.

I love Adam, but missed the other C's being around. Adam could have used all three of them to vent his frustration and share opinions.
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post (total 2):
JanuaryTahoe Lee

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Drifter wrote: Perhaps he was just numb to Ponderosa living and the West at this point and was already checking out/packing his bags. He didn't seem to "fit in," even in his Hometown. No wonder he wasn't around much longer... . :sad
I, too got the impression that he was something like "floating" above the action in many scenes. He seemed to look at everything from "outside", not especially touched or moved by the action, as if he were immensely bored and often rolling his eyes in his thoughts, as if he already were elsewhere in his mind.
The oddest scene for me was when he went from the ranchhouse across a wet (! - first time I ever saw that) front yard to his horse. No one to be seen, no cowboys, no anyone, not even an animal - and that queer camera angle from above. What did the episode director want us to see or feel? Adam's complete loneliness? That he did - but what for?
These users thanked the author manulanee for the post (total 2):
JanuaryTahoe Lee
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:54 am

The concept for this idea was good. More historical and less far-fetched than some. I like seeing more neighbors, more ranchers, more local color. But the execution left things to be desired.

Adam strikes me as tired and depressed. Throughout the first six seasons of Bonanza there's healthy, happy Adam and there's unhealthy, brooding Adam, and this is Exhibit A for the latter. His low-grade irritation with the cattlemen in the first scene sets the tone for the entire ep. As the only man standing between the small farmers and the wealthy cattlemen, he stands alone, but you don't get the sense of pride and courage you normally get from Adam when he's taking a stand. He just seems exhausted, cynical, and lonely.
These users thanked the author PlatoofthePonderosa for the post (total 2):
JanuarySharry
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 367

Administrator Admin Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by January » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:24 pm

PlatoofthePonderosa wrote: He just seems exhausted, cynical, and lonely.
exactly. It's as if his get up and go got up and went.
These users thanked the author January for the post (total 3):
SharryPlatoofthePonderosaTahoe Lee
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

Sharry
Drover
Drover

Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:30 pm

January wrote:
PlatoofthePonderosa wrote: He just seems exhausted, cynical, and lonely.
exactly. It's as if his get up and go got up and went.
Has anyone attempted to pin point when this palpable mood and/or change in Adam first became noticeable? When do you all think did it started showing up in PR's work on Bonanza? Curious... :adam
JanuaryPlatoofthePonderosa

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:53 am

It seems to wax and wane. Personally, I start to notice the first signs in Season Three, but it doesn't wholly settle in till the end of Five.
He actually has some energetic performances in Six, but often they're a bit hyped, as though it's a release of nervous energy. Almost reverting to a stage performance. I don't know if it's the same phenomenon or not, but as a musician, I've found that if I'm exhausted/unhappy and not "feeling" the music on a given night, my performance is a little over the top—as if to compensate for the dullness I feel.
These users thanked the author PlatoofthePonderosa for the post (total 3):
SharryTahoe LeeJanuary
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Tahoe Lee
Drover
Drover
Badges: 56

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 5
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Photographer Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Hidden Treasures Guest Star Bio Guest Star POD Reader's Choice Level 4

View all badges

Post by Tahoe Lee » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Wow!! Very interesting comments!! :thumbup

I never noticed it to the degree you guys have highlighted it here, but you're right.

The somber feeling to this episode and the loneliness and maybe even the cold weather was a metaphor
for the general mood of this.

Even when he was inside the ranch it seemed much bigger than usual. Especially the night he heard knocking
on the door. It almost looked like a castle.

Was this life imitating art? It makes me sad though. :hearts

And there was something about that very long and lonely walk from the house to the barn...

These users thanked the author Tahoe Lee for the post (total 2):
SharryJanuary
"You're a good man, Adam." *Toy Soldier*

Sharry
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Tahoe Lee wrote:And there was something about that very long and lonely walk from the house to the barn...

I noticed that in retrospect, too - sort of like a lonely man on a walk through his own life, or something.

Adam really didn't seem to bat an eye when everyone else was against him in the initial meeting with the other cattlemen. It was as though he anticipated as much, and was used to it by that time. When he knew it was time to exit, he quietly picked up his hat and walked away. :sob
Last edited by Sharry on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tahoe LeeJanuary

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 307
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:52 am

I felt the atmosphere was perfect. When the house is always full of people and then everyone goes, it's almost as if one is in a vacuum -- no sound, just emptiness; I believe that is reflected in the camera shots and the table where Adam eats alone -- and that he's the lone holdout. This episode tests Adam's ability to make decisions -- important decisions -- on his own; he has no sounding board. He won't go along with the Cattlemen's Assoc. decision to hire Clegg, nor does he buy out the rancher who wants to sell because he feels neither decision is the answer. Adam also gives Clegg an alibi because it's true that Clegg was with him and even though he doesn't approve of Clegg, he won't condemn the man with a lie.

Who really annoys me is the doctor/coroner who asserts the approximate time of death. Frenchman's Creek is glacier fed and everyone knows that meat kept cold lasts longer but apparently the doctor refuses to take that into consideration. I think the doctor says something like, "You know your cattle -- I know my bodies."

And let me repeat -- I adore Adam in that bathrobe, sans jammies, and men did wear slippers. In Victorian days, it was standard marital discipline for a husband to spank his wife with his bedroom slipper. I'm just saying...
Last edited by Adamant on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
January
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Return to “Season 6”