Episode 187 - THE FLANNEL-MOUTH GUN

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 187 - THE FLANNEL-MOUTH GUN

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:07 am

Date: January 31, 1965

Summary: The Virginia City Cattleman's Association hires ruthless range detective Sherman Clegg to determine who's behind a recent rash of cattle thefts. Adam opposes the decison to hire Clegg fearing it will do more harm than good, but when Clegg is accused of murder, Adam comes to his defense.

Written by:Leo Gordon and Paul Leslie Wilke
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Earl Holliman (Sherman Clegg), Robert J. Wilke (Simmons), Don Collier (Tatum)

the flannel mouth gun.gif
the flannel mouth gun.gif (12.61 MiB) Viewed 2453 times

Slideshow courtesy of Bejules

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 372
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 December Delectables
Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Halloween ART 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game

View all badges

Re: Episode 187 - THE FLANNEL-MOUTH GUN

Post by January » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Ok so this is my 3rd time watching this episode and I still have a zillion unanswered questions. The first 2 times I saw this ep doesn’t really count. I was screencapping it to get some DDG pictures of my favorite Cartwright … Adam! :hearts

Not really knowing what the ep was all about I decided to watch it again. Big Mistake!!!

The opening scene had 2 cattle thieves branding cattle when one of the thieves said to hurry it up and the other one said (and this is the very first time I heard this after watching this episode more than once) We’re doing what Phil Shelton told us to do. Who’s Phil Shelton? I had to drop the DVD in my computer again (4th time) and found out he was one of the poor ranchers. OK, didn’t catch that the first few times. Did you? Cause by the end of the ep, I didn’t recall ever hearing from him again. :lookaround

OK, so now that was the first couple of minutes.

A sniper kills one of them and the other runs off. Who was the sniper? Are we to assume it was Phil Shelton?

Next we’re in Virginia City at the Cattlemen’s Association and we see Adam’s sitting in there with Ben’s proxy. Adam is so animated, I love seeing him so excited about something, LOL!

Next there’s a vote among the committee on whether to hire a range detective. Everybody votes yes but Adam votes no. So majority wins of course. Adam just stands up, picks up his hat and leaves. :rotfl You wonder why some Joe Girls really don’t like Adam. :lol OK, JK.

What happens during the next 45 minutes is your guess. I’ve almost no idea?

Who’s killing whom? Who’s stealing the cattle? What is the reason for all that stealing and killing? What am I missing?

Side note: I got a closeup of the Grandfather clock and noticed a really creepy baby face in the clock. Did you all ever see it? I think it’s one of those Cupie dolls but wiki says those didn’t come into existence until the early 1900’s and Bonanza takes place in the mid 1800’s so that can’t be cause Bonanza is always accurate, right?

And speaking of grandfather … how did I not notice earlier those really groovy slippers Adam was wearing :puke My grandfather has the same exact pair.

OK so would someone like to tell me what happened in this episode?
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:30 am

This episode always confuses me so I avoid watching it. I never noticed that face in the clock before. They seem to have a ghost in their Grandfather clock! :scared3

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 57

December Delectables Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:50 am

I always thought the clock would have been something Marie bought and perhaps had voodoo images from New Orleans. It does look babyish. I never saw it so close up before, so I thought it was a skull. :shrug So now, I don’t know. I believe one of the larger ranchers Simpson is trying to acquire more land and ranches so he can become bigger than The Ponderosa. He pushes The Cattlemen’s Assoc. to hire a range detective. The rest of the story unfolds as the range detective sees the error of his life and wants to quit. Nice episode to get some great photos. There are some nice outdoors for a change. :adam :yes
PS I don’t know when they filmed this but it must have been cold out. Everyone is wearing coats and jackets and they are buttoned up!(outside on the range)
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
January

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects
Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:54 am

That is a moon-dial-- it shows the phases of the moon. It's a picture of the full moon, granted, a young one, but still the moon.

Like these:
bazinmoon-XL.jpg
clock
bazinmoon-XL.jpg (156.53 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
clock-moon.jpg
clock/moon
clock-moon.jpg (14.46 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
Last edited by Adamant on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects
Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 am

And when I see Adam with his hair-tousled (bed-head) and his robe open at the neck and the slippers, I don't feel grandaughterly in the least! Nor is he my avuncular (as Poirot put it!)
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:14 am

Even though it's my favorite Cartwright who is featured, I've never been able to really warm up to this episode. For one thing, Adam seems so isolated and lonely; we don't even get to see him say good-bye to the family as they were leaving for wherever they went. And he is completely alone in opposing the action of the Cattlemen's Association in hiring Clegg. Even when he explains that he voted against it, some of the small ranchers, who see that as a move against them, are hostile toward him. There's also a kind of coldness about the atmosphere of the entire episode that isn't appealing. Probably my least favorite episode that features my favorite character.

debpet :adam

January
Site Admin
Site Admin

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Halloween ART 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by January » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Adamant wrote:That is a moon-dial-- it shows the phases of the moon.
Oh, thank you for that info. Sort of creeped me out a bit, but now that I know it's a moon I'm not as creeped out as much. :laughing
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

January
Site Admin
Site Admin

View all badges

Post by January » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 pm

debpet2 wrote:Even though it's my favorite Cartwright who is featured, I've never been able to really warm up to this episode. For one thing, Adam seems so isolated and lonely; we don't even get to see him say good-bye to the family as they were leaving for wherever they went. And he is completely alone in opposing the action of the Cattlemen's Association in hiring Clegg. Even when he explains that he voted against it, some of the small ranchers, who see that as a move against them, are hostile toward him. There's also a kind of coldness about the atmosphere of the entire episode that isn't appealing. Probably my least favorite episode that features my favorite character.

debpet :adam
I agree with almost everything you say here. Adam seems sad and lonely and just going through the motions. I especially noticed it when he was awakened by Clegg late at night and sort of came downstairs like he was so alone in that big house. A DDG guy like Adam shouldn't be there so sad. He seemed friendless and lonely.
These users thanked the author January for the post:
debpet2
-Shunryu Suzuki

January
Site Admin
Site Admin

View all badges

Post by January » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Adamant wrote:And when I see Adam with his hair-tousled (bed-head) and his robe open at the neck and the slippers, I don't feel grandaughterly in the least! Nor is he my avuncular (as Poirot put it!)
Maybe it was the way he was dragging himself. :rotfl
-Shunryu Suzuki

Return to “Season 6”