Episode 178 - OLD SHEBA

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 55
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 178 - OLD SHEBA

Post by Julianna » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:13 am

This is a funny episode that everyone takes part in. Although Adam's part is much smaller he does have some of the best lines! "A sad tale is about to begin"; " Gotta play by the rules, Pa";"I can't wait to see what Tweedy stuck you with" "chuckle, Oh, it's about to rain a deluge on that mountain"

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Oh, Hoss Hoss Hoss... after all the pain and suffering Joe's "management" put you through, you're ready to fall for another scheme! White water rafting, indeed!

Sometimes I just want to give Hoss a swift thump on the head.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 184
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 7 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:56 am

The funny thing is, Hoss knows he really shouldn't listen to Joe's ideas. "If I wrestled like you manage, I'd be in the hospital!"
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 150
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:04 am

daisy60 wrote: Even more funny was that Michael "borrowed" Sheba and had her put on Dan's front lawn!
Sharry wrote:Along the line of pranksters (and not Old Sheba) - I have a vague memory of ML once talking about either he or Dan turning an ostrich loose in the other's house. I don't remember who started it, but Mike said the thing ate the lampshades. Good Lord! :lol
Fun fact: I was listening to the audio commentary by Andy Klyde, as I love to learn as much as possible, and he had this to say about the barn scene where they first find Sheba: Dan Blocker was especially impressed with this elephant, commenting on its backside: "Look at those cheeks sway." The trainer told the director that "he shouldn't say that. The elephant, she understands. She's going to get very angry." The director told Dan to cut out the comments because the trainer said the elephant doesn't like it. Classic Dan remark: "Oh, baloney."

Sure enough, he kept up the comments, and Sheba eventually did get angry. She gave him an ever-so-gentle push with her trunk... that sent Dan flying into the air and landing fifteen feet away.
Sheba then, in anger, got up on her hind legs and trumpeted! The cameramen left the cameras rolling and high-tailed it out of there. Dan and Michael then led a stampede of cast and crew out the stage doors.

According to Betty Endicott, it was chaos. "Forget women and children first," Mr. Klyde had quoted, "Dan and Michael pushed past everyone and went out the stage doors together!" :rotfl When Sheba was finally calm enough so they could return to filming, Dan refused to go near it again, so they called in the stunt double. Unfortunately, his "Hoss" costume wasn't on hand at the time, so Dan changed into his regular clothes and gave his double the outfit.

Well, the clothes still had Dan's smell on it, and what happened to him happened to his stunt double! Wardrobe had to send out a "Hoss" costume to be cleaned so the stunt double could wear it and not get thrown. :rotfl
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post (total 3):
SharrybarbpJulianna
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 143
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day
Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:37 am

I love those commentaries, especially Andy Klyde. He really makes you feel as if you're right there. I need to get out my CD'd again. They need re-watching. :scared3 :elephant
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
littlejoenice

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:07 am

Wow that's some interesting story about Dan Blocker. I'll bet Old Sheba was one of the few animals strong enough to toss him fifteen feet! :grin

It's a funny episode. But Joe and Hoss were pretty dumb in this one. :yes Did they really think they could use an elephant as a "workhorse"? And where were they planning on having Old Sheba sleep? They'd definitely would have had to add a room onto the barn.
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
littlejoenice

Jim Barnsby

Post by Jim Barnsby » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:57 pm

I (re)watched Old Sheba again this past week with the purpose of enjoying Adam being "the only adult in the room." His reactions are priceless, especially the part where Ben, in trying to save his own hide, tells Hoss and Joe that in order to build up their character, the boys have to go and sell Old Sheba back to the circus! Adam then mutters, "Well that's one way out." When Ben asks Adam what he just said, Adam quickly comes up with the similar-sounding: "I said 'Right. They'll have to go all out.' "

Hilarious!

I also loved Joe's over-inflated opinion of his "managing skills"! He gets that great line, "All of my managing...wasted!"

Old Sheba is a fun "pick-me-up-when-you're-feeling-down" episode.

My Rating: 9/10
These users thanked the author Jim Barnsby for the post:
barbp

Return to “Season 6”