Episode 175 - A DIME'S WORTH OF GLORY

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 175 - A DIME'S WORTH OF GLORY

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:54 am

Date: November 1, 1964

Summary: Dime novelist Tobias Finch watches as Ben and Adam fend off a band of attackers during an attempted stage coach robbery. When the Cartwrights refuse to give Finch their permission to write of the exploit, the novelist sees an opportunity in has-been Sheriff Laramore. Finch decides to use Laramore's glorified story to further his writing career and trouble follows.

Written by: Richard and Esther Shapiro
Directed by: William F. Claxton
Guest Stars: Walter Brooke (Tobias Finch), Bruce Cabot (Sheriff Laramore), Charles Maxwell (Gus Pickard).

Slideshow courtesy of Gillie

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Re: Episode 175 - A DIME'S WORTH OF GLORY

Post by Calamity » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:50 pm

There are some nice action shots in this episode when both Ben and Adam take charge and capture the baddens. Sheriff Reed Larrimore was played by Bruce Cabot who played the hero in the original King Kong. How could a man like that be reduced to dime novels?
These users thanked the author Calamity for the post (total 2):
dreamieTNTrue
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 364
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Springtime 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Snail Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by January » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Great opening! :very happy

Tobias was so funny as the typical coward. Each show needs a coward so that the stars look more like heroes. This one was done well.

Next comes a lengthy scene with Adam and his torn shirt. Showing all that magnificent chest hair. Was that done on purpose to make all the females faint in place? I mean, the shirt could have been torn anywhere, but no, it had to be torn in a place filled with all that chest hair. :faint

Knowing PR, it makes me wonder if this season 6 episode was one that made PR argue more with TPTB. I mean, he never wanted to be known as eye candy and here he was in all his glory. :lol

So I'm thinking :think ... How did Ben and Adam know that Tobias Finch was a no good rotten scoundrel? We found that out as the episode went on, but how did they know that so early on?

When Adam shoved Tobias in the saloon, did Adam have the right to shove him? Remember, this was way before we knew that Tobias was more than a reporter wanting a scoop. And did Tobias have the right to press charges for that shove?

What’s your thoughts as this episode unfolds?
These users thanked the author January for the post:
TNTrue
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:16 pm

January wrote: So I'm thinking :think ... How did Ben and Adam know that Tobias Finch was a no good rotten scoundrel? We found that out as the episode went on, but how did they know that so early on?
I think Adam and Ben just didn't want to be characters in those "cowboy books". They would have thought it was silly, bad literature, and intrusive on their lives.

My favorite moment is when Adam found Ben knocked out. His concern and gentleness for his father was really touching.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 364

Administrator Admin Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Springtime 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Snail Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by January » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 pm

ellen wrote:
My favorite moment is when Adam found Ben knocked out. His concern and gentleness for his father was really touching.
and Adam played that line so natural. I know he's an actor, but that timing of him not knowing that he was knocked out was played perfectly. When he said 'are you alright' Adam was surprised Ben was a little wobbly. Naturally he would be since he was just coming to, but Adam would not have known that. Good directing at that scene I think.
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 pm

First things first...
Was that done on purpose to make all the females faint in place? I mean, the shirt could have been torn anywhere, but no, it had to be torn in a place filled with all that chest hair. :faint
Not only that, but it looks like a woman tried to rip his shirt off and was unfortunately interrupted. What kind of wimpy little tear is that anyway? If they wanted to showcase PR's manly chest they should have given him a real man-sized tear down the front of his shirt. :grin
When he said 'are you alright'...
I noticed the inflection change in Adam's voice also when he became concerned about Ben. It was well done. I've heard the same change in his voice a few times when he's talking to Joe and realizes there's a problem.

These opening shots are some of my favorite Adam moments simply for the action sequences. Not much can be more cowboy like than climbing through the stage window, jumping onto a horse, falling, getting back up, and chasing down the bad guy anyway. No wonder Tobias was so impressed. Adam really was a true hero by all accounts.

I thought it was interesting that Ben sent Adam out that window in the first place. He had to know that he was sending his son into a dangerous situation - he also knew they had no other real choice. Adam was the only one among them who could probably do that.

I didn't see it as a big deal that Adam shoved Tobias back in the saloon. I don't know what the legality of things was in those days for that type of touching between men who were angry at each other. It doesn't seem like most men in that time period would have been all that upset about it. I also thought it was an odd moment for the sheriff to find his courage. Of all the people to challenge, it surprised me he would start with Adam. It didn't seem smart.
Last edited by Sharry on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
Gillie

Drifter
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 14

1,000 Posts 100 Posts Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Any episode with Adam chasing and capturing bandits is a great start to a show.I laugh when the sheriff exclaimed how strolled into his town like he's "someone special"—he sure is, Sheriff: He did YOUR job (and fixed it when YOU messed up). I just love how cool Adam is telling off the reporter, and after the Sheriff decides to arrest him, and he says "what charge?" You can tell Adam's been arrested for petty reasons one to many times. Not too mention, Ben is still shook up from being knocked out, and after telling him to take it easy, he strolls out of the jail as if saying "I've got this one covered, Pa!"

I personally think the Sheriff was just looking to abuse his authority. He didn't like Adam the first time he came to town. Had he not egged Tobias into the Adam bothering him bit, and pressing a charge, Adam would've just walked on out.
These users thanked the author Drifter for the post:
TNTrue

Gillie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Badges: 445

Global Moderator BINGO L Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Reader's Choice Level 4 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Strike Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by Gillie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:41 am

Sharry wrote: I thought it was interesting that Ben sent Adam out that window in the first place. He had to know that he was sending his son into a dangerous situation - he also knew they had no other real choice. Adam was the only one among them who could probably do that.
Probably Adam was the one with the best chance of success...tho' Pa eventually climbed out the window himself to help drive the stage.
Sharry wrote:I didn't see it as a big deal that Adam shoved Tobias back in the saloon. I don't know what the legality of things was in those days for that type of touching between men who were angry at each other. It doesn't seem like most men in that time period would have been all that upset about it. I also thought it was an odd moment for the sheriff to find his courage. Of all the people to challenge, it surprised me he would start with Adam. It didn't seem smart.
Adam only shoved Tobias after Tobias grabbed Adam's arm to stop him from walking away. I don't think back then anybody would have gotten the law involved over a grab or a shove.

I agree with those who've said that Pa and Adam were initially put off by the idea of being in a cheap novel that sensationalized their actions rather than their sense that Tobias was a sleazy, amoral, self-centered jerk. IMO the realization that he was a sleazy, amoral, self-centered jerk came later.
These users thanked the author Gillie for the post:
Sharry
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
Proud owner of Adam's Guitar, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Adam to Joe: "You heard what he said. We look for little green men riding on hound dogs."
"Well, Jessie, I'm not just sure I pleased you." Jim Boyer
:grimesgirl

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:03 am

Tobias was annoying to me. He didn't take no for an answer and followed Adam around just to get ideas what to write. It's the same way it is for most celebrities today. :shrug

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 52

BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Many enjoyable scenes in this episode. It was well shot and many caps show up interesting and superb. The story is fairly simple with no real twists. I do like the actors in this show. Charles Maxwell can do a great bad guy yet he can appear vulnerable. Bruce Cabot does fine job of being lead around but at the end able to find the strength to put the real trouble maker in his place. Pernell did a competent acting job, but appears tired and unhappy. I like the idea that the Cartwrights had to deal with something from their era. Those dime novels were a big deal back then. They were the celebrity magazines of their time.
As far as the assault charge, even for today, most men would consider a shove a pretty whimp thing to charge another guy with. :whistling
Last edited by Julianna on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Season 6”