Episode 172 - THANKS FOR EVERYTHING FRIEND

Bonanza Season 6 Episodes
Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 66
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant Valentine's Day 2020 Oscar Chat 2020
Pattern This! WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Step up to 2020
Christmas Baubles 2019 December Delectables Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 172 - THANKS FOR EVERYTHING FRIEND

Post by Julianna » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Doolittle wrote:Ben offering the ladies at the Bar-be-que some fresh "homemade" bread. What other kind of bread would they have on a ranch in the 1800s? You could tell that this was an ad lib, something we might comment on today but surely didn't make sense at the time!
Bakeries are not a 20th century invention! I am sure if not for Hop Sing, the Cartwrights would be visiting a VC bakery each week! :hopsing1 Although I don’t understand why they didn’t have more baked goods from some of those single VC womenfolk! :lol

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 157
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Winter 2020 Participant Valentine's Day 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Strike Winter 2020
Oscar Chat 2020 Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Chat Host
Christmas Baubles 2019 December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:07 pm

I once went on-line to see what items were available in stores [mercantile] in the 1800's and they had a lot of prepackaged foods, such as vegetables and fruits, baked beans, meats and some baked goods. Of course you not only needed to be close town but you needed money to buy them. Money was very tight for many people.

Sharry
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 69

Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Pattern This! Reader's Choice Level 5
10th Anniversary Letter S Step up to 2020 December Delectables Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2
Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1 Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:01 pm

You have sharp eyes there, Manulanee. I guess it was asking too much of the toupee to stay on while PR was in the river. :grin

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 129

Forum Moderator Oscar Chat 2020 Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020
WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB Christmas Baubles 2019 Christmas Card Team
Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019 Out Of The Blue
Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018 Sadie Hawkins Day 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:36 am

I think it's pretty amazing that PR did this stunt in the first place. Maybe the water wasn't deep, but it must have been cold (I'm sure he was wearing a wetsuit underneath, though), and they could have easily used a stunt man.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Jim Barnsby

Post by Jim Barnsby » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:31 am

The first four episodes of Bonanza season 6 were solo missions for each Cartwright family member. Thanks for Everything, Friend is Adam's adventure.

It's been stated elsewhere online that Rory Calhoun's Tom Wilson character was a nod to the title character in the "modern western" movie, Hud (1963), which starred Paul Newman--see it now if you haven't already. Tom Wilson was a lot lot more subtle than Newman's Hud Bannon character. Of course, 1964 television standards and practices wouldn't permit Tom Wilson to grace our screens and act just as Hud did on the silver screen. However, both Hud Bannon and Tom Wilson share the concept of the "charming" villain, and it is evident in Thanks for Everything, Friend.

It seemed to me that Tom Wilson got more and more unsavory each time he spoke. It was like his evil was unfolding during the course of the episode, yet he remained charming to the last.

As for Adam, I liked his incisive deduction of Tom's motives for friendship and his definition of it. Plus, there was Adam's philosophy of how a person should be useful to society instead of trying to just get what you can from it. You don't find moral instruction in TV like that anymore.

One thing did irritate me, though: when Roy Coffee told Adam that he'd have to lead the posse because Roy had to wait to meet the governor(!) Sure, let the murderer run free just so 'ol Roy can rub elbows with the governor...Sheesh!

My Rating: 7/10
These users thanked the author Jim Barnsby for the post:
Julianna

Janet the Wicked
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 12
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 WAT 9
10th Anniversary Letter W Step up to 2020 Don't Blink PODs
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Amazon Buyer 100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:47 pm

LG looks like he's having a hard time trying to figure out how to carve this thing.

Thanks Friend.png
Thanks Friend.png (282.23 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Is that all you can think about at a time like this, cake???

dougsgirl
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 286

Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant Valentine's Day 2020
BINGO L Winter 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 50,000 Posts Meet & Greet Chat 2020
Christmas Baubles 2019 Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 December Delectables Christmas Card Team

View all badges

Post by dougsgirl » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:10 am

I think the best part of this ep was Adam wet and then wrapped in a blanket.

rogell

Post by rogell » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:44 pm

I really like this episode because it is an Adam episode. The only thing...the bloopers lol. When Adam is floating down the river, you can see a car driving down the road in the background. Still love Bonanza though.

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 66

BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant Valentine's Day 2020 Oscar Chat 2020
Christmas Baubles 2019 December Delectables Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:22 am

Jim Barnsby wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:31 am
The first four episodes of Bonanza season 6 were solo missions for each Cartwright family member. Thanks for Everything, Friend is Adam's adventure.

It's been stated elsewhere online that Rory Calhoun's Tom Wilson character was a nod to the title character in the "modern western" movie, Hud (1963), which starred Paul Newman--see it now if you haven't already. Tom Wilson was a lot lot more subtle than Newman's Hud Bannon character. Of course, 1964 television standards and practices wouldn't permit Tom Wilson to grace our screens and act just as Hud did on the silver screen. However, both Hud Bannon and Tom Wilson share the concept of the "charming" villain, and it is evident in Thanks for Everything, Friend.

It seemed to me that Tom Wilson got more and more unsavory each time he spoke. It was like his evil was unfolding during the course of the episode, yet he remained charming to the last.
As for Adam, I liked his incisive deduction of Tom's motives for friendship and his definition of it. Plus, there was Adam's philosophy of how a person should be useful to society instead of trying to just get what you can from it. You don't find moral instruction in TV like that anymore.

One thing did irritate me, though: when Roy Coffee told Adam that he'd have to lead the posse because Roy had to wait to meet the governor(!) Sure, let the murderer run free just so 'ol Roy can rub elbows with the governor...Sheesh!

My Rating: 7/10
Very well stated and reviewed. I agree.

Return to “Season 6”