Episode 167 - TRIANGLE

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 167 - TRIANGLE

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:06 am

Date: May 17, 1964

Summary: ‘Triangle’ is the last episode of the ‘Laura and Adam’ series. (Part 4 of 4)

Laura and Adam are engaged and plan to marry soon. Adam secretly builds a house for himself, Laura and Peggy. Laura feels rejected and left alone after Adam often falls asleep and is late for a picnic. Will helps out and accompanies Laura and Peggy. Will and Laura both feel that they belong to each other, but when Adam falls from the roof of his newly build house and he's bound to a wheelchair, Laura decides to stay with Adam.

Written by: Frank Cleaver
Directed by: Tay Garnett
Guest Stars: Guy Williams as Will Cartwright, Kathie Browne as Laura Dayton, Katie Sweet as Peggy Dayton

Slideshow courtesy of January

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Re: Episode 167 - TRIANGLE

Post by PJudith » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Also could be called "Adam Dodges a Bullet". :grin The character of Laura was written so inconsistently. It wasn't the fault of the actress but Laura ended up coming across as fickle and childish. They broke up because Adam didn't take her to the picnic like he promised? Yeah a major deal breaker for most women. She wanted Adam ...until she got him. Then cousin Will seemed more appealing. One kiss shocked her into realizing she was in love with a man she'd only known a few weeks and not her fiance.

But then she was driven by guilt to marry a man that she didn't love out of pity. Yeah, most men find pity so appealing. Finally let off the hook she didn't have the sensitivity NOT to throw herself into the arms of her new fiance while her old fiance was still standing there :mad

Triangle? Should've been called Parallelogram. Adam and Laura's lives and intentions never really did intersect. They were always on parallel courses.
Last edited by PJudith on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:04 pm

I agree about Laura's inconsistent behavior and am grateful she and Adam didn't wind up together. Still I find Adam's gesture of forcing himself to get up and take a few steps in order to convince Laura she didn't have to stay with him rather satisfying, in an admittedly melodramatic way.

debpet2 :adam

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:52 pm

PJudith wrote: Triangle? Should've been called Parallelogram. Adam and Laura's lives and intentions never really did intersect. They were always on parallel courses.
Boy, that's the truth!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

napajackie

Post by napajackie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:44 pm

I always thought that every plot device available was thrown into this episode.

Cassandra
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 1

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Cassandra » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Every time I force myself to watch this episode, it occurs to me that Adam walks in order to get HIMSELF out of that relationship!

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 309
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:55 pm

What amazes me is that Will actually thinks Adam would marry a woman who he knows doesn't love him, who loves another -- his cousin at that! The other thing that seems unrealistic is that, according to Laura, Will would never accept her as long as Adam was crippled. But if Adam told her he wouldn't marry her now on a bet, then Will would take her or Laura would hate him for rejecting her. Gee, too bad.

They're all three idiots in this, including Adam. Maybe that's why it's called "Triangle"? :grin But of course we all know it refers to the "eternal triangle." Just in case someone is NOT familiar with the term...

eternal triangle
noun
1. emotional relationship in which there are conflicts involving a man and two women or a woman and two men. (Dictionary.com)
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 370

Administrator Admin Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019
Halloween ART 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by January » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:56 pm

I LOVE this episode. I love all the Laura eps, my favorites among Bonanza. I loved seeing Adam with a girlfriend. It showed me what a great boyfriend he'd be and I could care less whether Laura was good for him or not since I always knew she wasn't going to marry him, so for me it was fun watching episode after episode of their relationship. Will (Guy Williams) is a a favorite of mine, so it was plus plus that I got to see a lot of him.

All in all, I'm a fan. I may be alone, but I like Laura and she was probably portraying Laura as she was told to do. If she was a great match for Adam, how would the writers get rid of her without pissing off the viewers?

Eps are fun, fun, fun! :yes
Adamant wrote:
They're all three idiots in this
:rotfl :laughing
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 35

Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
4th of July 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday
Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:14 am

Adam's back injury was always suspicious to me. Was it some kind of partial paralysis? Why did he seem to be in no pain whatsoever? How much could a doctor in the 1860s actually diagnose without x-rays? "Muscle and nerve damage" seems veeery vague to me and like some writer didn't want to take the time to research. I've noticed that in the next episode ("Walter and the Outlaws," I think), Adam has that suffering-from-a-bad-back look, but that shows up in other random episodes, too, so it was probably just Pernell. :laughing

On a lighter note, I always did wonder where Peggy was when her mommy and Will drove off together into the sunset. Was Laura so in love that she left her clothes and things...and her daughter...behind at the Ponderosa?? :shrug
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 309
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:20 am

PlatoofthePonderosa wrote: On a lighter note, I always did wonder where Peggy was when her mommy and Will drove off together into the sunset. Was Laura so in love that she left her clothes and things...and her daughter...behind at the Ponderosa?? :shrug
Will and Laura were heading to the Running D. Adam told her to live with Will on her ranch. Of course, he's not the boss of them but that is the assumed outcome although they never appear again. But then neither do the horse-breaker and "Miss Landers" after they married. Adam said the couple would make good neighbors and I guess they did -- not a sound out of them for the rest of the series. My type of neighbor.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Return to “Season 5”