Episode 166 - THE PRESSURE GAME

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 166 - THE PRESSURE GAME

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:04 am

Date: May 10, 1964

Summary: ‘The Pressure Game” is the sequel to “The Cheating Game”. (Part 3 in the 4 part Adam/Laura Arc.) Laura’s aunt Lil visits her niece Laura and little Peggy. Soon Lil learns that Laura yearns for Adam’s proposal and she decides to accelerate things a little by trying to make Adam jealous.

Written by: Don Tait
Directed by: Tay Garnett
Guest Stars: Guy Williams as William Cartwright, Kathie Browne as Laura Dayton, Joan Blondell as Lillian Manfred, Katie Sweet as Peggy Dayton

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Re: Episode 166 - THE PRESSURE GAME

Post by snapdragon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:34 am

I really liked this episode. In fact I enjoyed all the Adam/Laura episodes.

Bonanza does a lot of things well but one aspect of TV shows that I value most is excellent casting. Whoever did the casting for this show knew what s/he was doing! I haven't seen one ep yet where I felt an actor was miscast or out of place.

btw is it okay if I drop my episode-inspired gifs in these threads? I love making gifs and thought it would be appropriate to put them here.

This gif is the part where the Bonner brothers are making fun of Adam in the saloon for being cuckold by Will/Laura. Angry Adam is sexy. :grin

Last edited by snapdragon on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 306
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:51 am

snapdragon wrote:
btw is it okay if I drop my episode-inspired gifs in these threads? I love making gifs and thought it would be approrpriate to put them here.
Have you yet volunteered to do an Adam POD? You can use all your GIFs there and more people will see them and enjoy them.

As far as this episode, I can't believe that Adam is so blind to almost all the manipulations--except the walk in the moonlight. I want to smack him on the back of the head. I mean even Will caught on to what Aunt Lil had in mind and I just can't believe that Adam is so blind that he can't recognize the machinations to rope and brand him. And when Aunt Lil answers the door and tells Adam that Laura's retired for the night and then she pops out from behind the door? Why isn't Adam angry about being lied to and about Laura hitting him with the guilt trip of hurting Peggy by disappointing her? Grow a pair, Adam!

And I also find it amusing that when at the end, Adam asks Laura to marry him, it's as awkward as when he told White Buffalo Woman he loved her. It just seems so clumsy and insincere.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
Sharry
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 367
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by January » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:09 pm

I love all the Laura eps too, 4 of my favorites. There's nothing not to love. :grin You have DDG Adam in a role that we get to see him as boyfriend. :faint wishing I could be the girlfriend. :grin

Then we get to see a lot of guy Williams. January is in heaven. :lol

And adding your gif here is fine, but as Adamant said, you can also volunteer to do an Adam POD and have fun for a whole week. :yes
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:18 pm

Adamant wrote:And I also find it amusing that when at the end, Adam asks Laura to marry him, it's as awkward as when he told White Buffalo Woman he loved her. It just seems so clumsy and insincere.
Wow, I agree. I'm not sure I really know what Adam's match would have looked like, but 'White Buffalo Woman' wouldn't have been my pick either. I know love doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense whether in fiction or in reality, but I just didn't buy that one. :lol

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:09 pm

I think maybe Adam DID know what Aunt Lil was up to. He was just being a gentleman and wouldn't tell her to MYOB. :grin

It wasn't just Aunt Lil. Adam was getting pressure from all sides. In the opening scene the ladies in town asked Adam and Laura if the would be making an "announcement" soon.

When he got home and the family was discussing serious business Hoss said something like "marry her so you can stay home where you belong."

I believe Adam said in an exasperated voice, "That's the third time today."

Before the dinner party engineered by Aunt Lil, Ben asks Adam what his attentions are and basically suggests thathe should not keep seeing Laura if he isn't serious.

Adam uncharacteristically caves in to the pressure. Maybe he thought it was the honorable thing to do since it was pointed out how he had monopolized her time. He did say he wanted a home of his own and I think he really cared for Peggy.

And he doesn't tell Laura that he loves her in EITHER of his proposals. Kind of a red flag there Laura :yes

His behavior sort of reminds me of the engagement interview of Prince Charles and Lady Diana. When asked by the interviewer, "In love?", Diana answers, "Of course" and Prince Charles says, "Whatever in love means." Code for, "Camilla darling if you're watching this, don't worry."

Still, it's a favorite episode of mine. Adam and Laura look great in it and it's fun to pretend that he has finally met "the one." Guy Williams is also pretty easy on the eyes.

Return to “Season 5”