Episode 165 - THE DARK PAST

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 165 - THE DARK PAST

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:03 am

Date: May 3, 1964

Summary: Bounty hunter Dev Farnum searches for Pete Burnside. His wife Holly hides at the Ponderosa and is met by Dev.

Written by: William Bruckner
Directed by: Murray Golden
Guest Stars: Dennis Hopper as Dev Farnum, Susan Seaforth as Holly Burnside, Jim Bole as Peter Burnside

Slideshow courtesy of Bejules

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Re: Episode 165 - THE DARK PAST

Post by ellen » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:19 am

I always liked the performance by Dennis Hopper in this episode. Very subtle. I guess this shows how good an actor he is, because he has certainly been in some non-subtle roles! Probably one of the biggest names to appear on the show!

As for "Holly" (Susan Seaforth), I did a little sleuthing today and found some interesting trivia: Susan (born 1943, age 73) is married to Bill Hayes (born 1925, aged 92), so she now goes by Susan Seaforth Hayes. They were one of the first "power couples" in soap operas.

And Bill Hayes performed original version of "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" heard on Walt Disney's television show. He's still alive and based on this video is still in great shape:
At the beginning, at around 14 seconds, you can see Susan seated to his right. She looks pretty good too!
These users thanked the author ellen for the post (total 2):
JuliannaJanuary
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:34 pm

Yes, an underrated episode.

I was very familiar with Susan Seaforth Hayes because I used to watch my grandmother's soap with her when I was a kid, Days of Our Lives. Mrs. Hayes portrayed Julie Olson Banning Anderson Williams. Bill Hayes was Doug Williams, her husband.

When I saw this episode in syndication I thought, 'Hey Julie!"

Susan and Bill Hayes met while appearing on Days of our Lives, DOOL to its fans! They played star crossed lovers and their TV wedding was huge. The couple has their own night club act. At least they had one for years.

They were the first "soap" couple to appear on the cover of Time Magazine. It was back in the late seventies in an article about daytime drama. The cover title was "Sex and Suffering in the Afternoon."

I was curious to see it again, so I googled it. You can find the cover from January 12, 1976. Bill Hayes is in the background and his wife is in the foreground wearing a low cut red dress with a suitably anguished and suffering expression on her face. Very soapy!
Last edited by PJudith on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 140
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019
15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Dennis did a great job, especially the scene where he talks about his family being massacred. Wow! Bill Hayes looks terrific for a man of 92!

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 51

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:55 pm

ellen, thanks so much for sharing the tonight show moment... very cool!

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 364

Administrator Admin Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Springtime 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Snail Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by January » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:45 pm

During Days of our lives
days of our lives.jpg
days of our lives.jpg (92.22 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
These users thanked the author January for the post:
PJudith
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Beautiful couple, and still together after all these years!

Return to “Season 5”