Episode 163 - THE COMPANEROS

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 163 - THE COMPANEROS

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:01 am

Date:April 19, 1964

Summary: Will Cartwright has his old friend Mateo and his wife as visitors. Mateo tries to convince him to return back with him to Mexico.

Written by:John Hawkins
Directed by: William F. Claxton
Guest Stars: Guy Williams as William Cartwright, Frank Silvera as Mateo Ibera, Faith Domergue as Carla Ibera, Roy Engel as Doc Martin

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 332
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 163 - THE COMPANEROS

Post by Tracy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:23 pm

This episode has an element that drives me nuts. Will Cartwright's old friend, Mateo Ybarra and his wife, Carla, show up on the Ponderosa. They both refer to Will by using the Spanish equivalent of the name, William, which is Guillermo. Now, these two are supposed to be Mexican citizens - but they pronounce the name, Guillermo in two different ways. Mateo (Frank Silvera) pronounces it correctly. His wife, Carla (Faith Domergue) pronounces it wrong. Wouldn't the actors, along with the director, have agreed on how to pronounce a main character's name?

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 309
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:30 am

It may be the since Faith Domergue wasn't Hispanic, she had problems pronouncing it in which case, the character should have been recast, IMO. But once I had a Chinese foreign exchange student in my class and for some reason, I had the worst time with her name. If they wanted to keep Domergue, they could have just have her say Will's name fewer times.

But I don't really care for this episode anyway. This series of episodes dealing with Will's past were a waste of episodes--IMO. But I guess the PTB were attempting to endear Will to the viewers.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

SallyBrown
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: I honestly couldn't pick one

Post by SallyBrown » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:37 am

Tracy wrote:This episode has an element that drives me nuts. Will Cartwright's old friend, Mateo Ybarra and his wife, Carla, show up on the Ponderosa. They both refer to Will by using the Spanish equivalent of the name, William, which is Guillermo. Now, these two are supposed to be Mexican citizens - but they pronounce the name, Guillermo in two different ways. Mateo (Frank Silvera) pronounces it correctly. His wife, Carla (Faith Domergue) pronounces it wrong. Wouldn't the actors, along with the director, have agreed on how to pronounce a main character's name?
Good catch Tracy!

Ghi-YER-moh (correct)
vs
Gwee-yer-MOH(O_o)
Last edited by SallyBrown on Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SallyBrown
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: I honestly couldn't pick one

Post by SallyBrown » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:01 am

Adamant wrote:But I don't really care for this episode anyway. This series of episodes dealing with Will's past were a waste of episodes--IMO. But I guess the PTB were attempting to endear Will to the viewers.
In hindsight, they have to be a waste, since the character didn't last, huh?! ;)
Last edited by SallyBrown on Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 312
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Librarian Christmas Card Team Michael Landon Birthday 2019
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by patina » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:28 am

This is my second favorite of the Will eps, There was so much potential for future stories involving him. And Will almost fits in on the Ponderosa since he's on a cattle drive with Adam and Hoss.

The only good thing about Pressure Game is Laura is soon going away with Cousin Will (in Triangle).
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 123
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Christmas Card Team Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019
Oscar Chat 2019 Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018
Thanksgiving 2018 Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3
Behind The Scenes Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:16 pm

I like the episode too, mainly because of Frank Silvera as Mateo. He's such a great character, played by a great actor. Dealing with a treacherous wife is a classic plot device, and this episode does a good version.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Return to “Season 5”