Episode 162 - A PINK CLOUD COMES FROM OLD CATHAY

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 162 - A PINK CLOUD COMES FROM OLD CATHAY

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am

Date: April 12, 1964

Summary: Hoss orders fireworks from China but due to an accident a girl arrives instead at the Ponderosa. Now it is Hoss’ duty to deal with the headstrong Chinese girl.

Written by: Lewis Clay
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Marlo Thomas as Tai Lee, Benson Fong as Nu Shan, Victor Sen Yung as Hop Sing, William Fawcett as Rafe

Slide show courtesy of January

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 162 - A PINK CLOUD COMES FROM OLD CATHAY

Post by littlejoenice » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:41 am

I watched this episode yesterday. I'd never seen it before then, but I knew it had something to do with fireworks. So I figured with it being the Fourth of July, I'll watch something with fireworks.
Considering the girl that Hoss got in its place, I'd say she was full of fireworks! She sure seem to have a short enough fuse! :laughing
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:11 pm

Marlo didn't look a bit Asian but you're right about her being a firecracker! She sure kept those Cartwrights on their toes-especially Hoss!

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:31 pm

I think one of my favorite scenes in this episode is the part where Tai Lee wakes up and she goes to bow in front of her former teacher. I believe her words were, "I promise to remember and obey your three rules of progress. Never mind my own business, never let man be content with their own fate, and never be reasonable, because being reasonable leads to compromise, and compromise leads to defeat!"

And another part I liked was when she hung up those wind chimes, and she told Ben that his house was not made properly to keep out evil spirits, and Hoss replied, "I wish we'd have known about that a few days ago."

And the part where Hop Sing goes on strike! All because Tai Lee convinced him that he is an honorable man doing a dishonorable job! I think that was my ultimate favorite scene!
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:37 pm

The premise is funny, even though the casting was off. I enjoy the banter between Hoss and Tai Lee as well as the fireworks display at the end. I've always wondered why they didn't get some sort of stampede.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:40 am

Calamity wrote:The premise is funny, even though the casting was off. I enjoy the banter between Hoss and Tai Lee as well as the fireworks display at the end. I've always wondered why they didn't get some sort of stampede.
I didn't think the casting was off. It was funny! I didn't even know at first that that was Marlo Thomas. I'd seen in the series That Girl, but I didn't even know it was her playing Tai Lee. HILARIOUS!!! She played downright perfect, with almost the same feistiness as Joan Hackett. :grin

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:46 pm

While I do like Marlo Thomas, I think they should have cast someone who actually looked the part. Perhaps I feel this way after watching Sidney Toler play Charlie Chan and David Carradine play Kwai Chang Caine.

Hop Sing did benefit as he did receive a new stove. :hopsing1
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Regarding Tai Lee's ancestry - she did say her father was "a rug trader from Persia". So she was only half Chinese. I don't think it's any more "wrong" for an actress of Lebanese descent (Danny Thomas was Lebanese) to play a half Persian/half Chinese than a Chinese actress.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

TNTrue
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by TNTrue » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Tai Lee is not my favorite character in the series, but she gave the Cartwrights many opportunities to amuse and delight me, so it's all good. I'm so glad Hoss didn't actually spank her! Really, a good dunking was much more appropriate for her stunt anyhow. Although the actress got a permanent back injury out of it. :ohmy Some of that Bonanza tomfoolery is nothing to be foolin' with!

I didn't mind Marlo Thomas as Tai Lee so much as I did the typical sixties feminist plot, where at the end the feminist woman ends up walking a few steps behind a man. :eyeroll Thought I'd share a bit from her autobiography on playing this role (although she doesn't remember the episode's story quite right!):
So with a cockamamie accent and not too oval eyes, I played the part of a Chinese mail-order bride (with a Persian mother) who turned out not to be the supplicant bride Hoss had hoped for, but, instead, a feisty revolutionary girl who was trying to unionize the Ponderosa.

Just as my character was becoming successful with her mission, Hoss was to pick me up angrily and throw me into a water tough. Dan Blocker weighed close to 300 pounds. He was huge. So when he threw my 98-pound body into that tiny, half-filled trough, I hit it with a thud. Tears poured down my face, but on film the splashing water hid them. So, thankfully, I didn’t have to do the scene again.

I took away three things from that experience: (1) a bad back, (2) the realization that I was not a stuntwoman, and (3) the lesson that you should always politely ask the director to try not to kill you.

From Growing Up Laughing by Marlo Thomas
Before that she had some things to say on the make up and possibly how she got the role, if I remember rightly, but I don't own the book and that's all I copied into my file.

It was lovely to see Philip Ahn (Master Kan on Kung Fu) in this one. He plays many an excellent Japanese or Chinese character -- even though he was of Korean heritage! :winking

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:50 am

Ouch! That experience of being thrown into the water trough must have hurt! :ohmy I didn't like Tai Lee much at all but I do love and admire Marlo for taking over as spokesperson for St. Jude's Children's Hospital after the hospital's creator, Danny Thomas, died. She's someone I would give a hug to just for her work. :hugs
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
TNTrue

Return to “Season 5”