Episode 159 - RETURN TO HONOR

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 159 - RETURN TO HONOR

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:46 am

Date: March 22, 1964

Summary: Ben travels to Pine City in order to pay his respects to his nephew Will Cartwright, who is presumed dead. When he arrives, he learns that Will is still alive but doesn’t want anybody to know. Ben and Will decide that it is best to travel back to the Ponderosa. But they are followed by Will’s former gang.

Written by: Jack Turley
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Guy Williams as Will Cartwright, Robert J. Wilke as Marshal Hollister, Arch Johnson as Mr. Butler, Gregg Palmer as Gannett

Slideshow courtesy of January
These users thanked the author Episode Guide for the post (total 2):
JanuarySallyBrown

JOE AND WILL FAN
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 13
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: JOE,WILL,ADAM,BEN,HOSS,CLAY

Amazon Buyer Photographer Group Member 100 Posts
Boomers Million Don't Blink Hidden Treasures Summer 2012 Hidden Treasures Thanksgiving
Hidden Treasures Christmas Mix N Match Behind The Scenes SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2013
Easter 2013

View all badges

Re: Episode 159 - RETURN TO HONOR

Post by JOE AND WILL FAN » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:03 pm

This is one of my favorite episodes! One of the best showdowns in the series.
These users thanked the author JOE AND WILL FAN for the post:
January

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 372
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 December Delectables
Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Halloween ART 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by January » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:58 pm

I agree and Will was one of my favorite characters and Guy Williams is one of my favorite actors. :thumbup
These users thanked the author January for the post:
JOE AND WILL FAN
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 333
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 15 Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4
Summer Reading 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:48 am

This episode showed promise for the Will Cartwright character. Then, IMO, it went down hill.

I love seeing how excited Ben is to have a connection to his brother again. And the suspicious tension between Adam, Hoss, Joe, and their new cousin is perfect. They don't want to see their father get hurt emotionally or physically.

One little pet peeve of mine is the way Will chose to address Ben (most of the time). He calls him "Ben." I would have thought Ben would have asked him to call him "uncle" out of that time period's level of respect.

JOE AND WILL FAN
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Boomers Million Don't Blink Hidden Treasures Summer 2012 Hidden Treasures Thanksgiving
Hidden Treasures Christmas Mix N Match Behind The Scenes SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2013
Easter 2013

View all badges

Post by JOE AND WILL FAN » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:22 pm

I think it would have helped if they had him in some of the episodes where it was about more of them, for example (A pink cloud comes from old Cathay and Enter Thomas Bowers). That way he would have looked more a part of the family instead of it being mainly him and Ben conversing.
These users thanked the author JOE AND WILL FAN for the post:
January

JOE AND WILL FAN
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Easter 2013

View all badges

Post by JOE AND WILL FAN » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:19 pm

I love this episode guide with the slideshows and everything! Very well done.

Gillie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Badges: 458

Global Moderator Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 December Delectables Reader's Choice Level 7
Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019
Halloween ART 2019 Reader's Choice Level 6 Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO L Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3

View all badges

Post by Gillie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:21 pm

My favorite Will is the scruffy Will that we saw at the beginning of the ep. :yes
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
Proud owner of Adam's Guitar, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Adam to Joe: "You heard what he said. We look for little green men riding on hound dogs."
"Well, Jessie, I'm not just sure I pleased you." Jim Boyer
:grimesgirl

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Post by snapdragon » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:07 pm

It took me a while to realize that this was the same Guy Williams I used to see in Lost in Space (I never saw him in Zorro). He also played one of the cops in ML's "I Was A Teenage Werewolf". He's one of those actors you instantly like. I believe he had the looks and charisma to make it bigger than he did; he reminds me a bit of Clark Gable (I'm sure the mustache has something to do with it!).

I liked all of the episodes with Guy Williams in it. It's a shame he couldn't have been made a permanent cast member, but from what I've read the Bonanza cast members weren't keen on having an interloper in the Cartwright family. I think ML was a bit jealous of him, too.

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 372

Administrator Admin Dan Blocker Birthday 2019 December Delectables
Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Halloween ART 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by January » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:04 pm

I was a kid watching Lost and Space and fell in love with Guy Williams. If you like him in lost in space and liked him as Will Cartwright you must get the DVDs (I suggest the colorized version, Patina likes the Black & Whites only) of Zorro. He is truly awesome in Disney's Zorro.
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

SallyBrown
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: I honestly couldn't pick one

Post by SallyBrown » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:47 am

Ok, I finally got around to watching this episode. Here are my thoughts, I hope it's ok to share (it's not exactly about the episode, really). First off, I have to say that I really like Guy Williams in this so I am relieved because I simply cannot watch him in Lost in Space. :sad Here he still has a hat and a skinny moustache and Zorro hair (whew!!) and parades around in a most manly display in roughly the same time frame... but a few things I found disturbing, as a Zorro fan.

1) His voice/accent!!! What happened to Diego de la Vega's sexy Spanish accent?? :laughing Ok, that I expected but his voice is COMPLETELY different. I must say, I am not very fond of this voice, I find it a bit disturbing because I love, love, LOVE his voice in Zorro. I can't recall what his voice sounds like in all the other stuff I recently saw him in but all I know is I was not "disturbed" by his other voices before so, I have to wonder: does he make a "funny" voice on purpose for this character? Is this a Southern accent or something?

2) His teeth!!! OMG! I love his teeth in Zorro, they are perfect piano keyboard, Chiclet teeth and here they are all crooked with space for a wagon in between the two front teeth, LOOK!!!
Image :thud
What the...? Is that painted on? I can't wrap my mind around this!?!?!? What have you done to my Zorro and his teethZies?! :sob

3) His mustache is still Zkinny but, on the right side of the screen, his left side, it is very sparse and even missing in bald patches. (This photo doesn't illustrate it well)

4) I enjoyed the Jaw's theme before its time! I wonder if Jaws got it from here or if it's the same composer. While Ben was "loading" Will into the cart, it played. They went to commercial, came back and it played as the wagon was being stalked! EDITING THIS IN: by "Jaw's theme" I do mean the eerily similar music, I am being facetious as, of course, it's not the exact Jaw's theme but very reminiscent and I believe it must have 'inspired' Jaws composer.

All in all, I really enjoyed this episode. This character reminds me of another similar one but I can't recall which show that was (wonder which was written first?!)

A) It was interesting to see Pernell Roberts because I only ever saw this actor in Night Gallery and he looked quite different there (and I admit I wondered why he had so many fans here but I am not wondering so much now).
B) Michael Landon looks very much like his (non)-werewolf handsome young self.
C) Lorne Greene is a solid presence in this show. A pre-Jock Ewing type except a much better character.
D) Hoss, I wonder why I used to think he was fat?? (I "saw" Bonanza as a kid when my parents watched it but I never paid attention to it cos I don't like Westerns!) I guess Sgt Garcia makes him look nice and trim!

Thanks for reading!

Return to “Season 5”